Let's debate GFZ! (Split from "Yet Another 2.1 Update")

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps instead of tearing down the walls, stagger them to provide variety, and then add detail to the "staggers" to give visual buffer while leaving the floors the player will be on simple. I did this in a mod I'm working on (links are to images). Also, in the way of detailing, does no one remember Fawfulfan's Greenflower Sunset Zone...?

As an explanation to my images, note that how in the images (particularly the second and third) the walls that (technically (knux and tails break this)) bound the player are not straight up vertical as they are in GFZ2 but rather staggered and detailed so that the environment feels more engaging and [insert better word than 'realistic' here]. If I designed these sections like GFZ2, they'd just be, well, straight walls, which would be quite ugly. GFZ2 needs some--nay, a lot--of this. Maybe trees as well. Trees would be nice.

Actually, trees are a great idea for GFZ.

Also, don't complain on the scenery object overkill in these images. I know it's overkill, just cleaning it up is not high on my to-do list for this map currently.

Last edited:
No one's responded in a while, so I'll voice a few responses.

@D00D64: That doesn't work too well, because the texture in choice differs in detail and style from the basic texture. The unexplained transition makes for an awkward aesthetic. The idea is okay, just needs to be a different texture; perhaps a new one specifically made for GFZII, like a GFZROCK clone with a palette change.

@Metalhead64: It looks good in your screenshot, but in your screenshot the flats are different from the wall textures; I think GFZII's big problem is that it's just checkers everywhere. GFZI has a balance of grass and checker while your zone has a balance of snow and rock; both designs create good color contrast.

Well, for what it's worth, when it comes to texture transitions, one of the rules of thumb I've been informed of over at DoomWorld is to break out a vertically-oriented texture and apply it to a linedef between the two clashing textures. In Doom's case, that'd typically be SUPPORT2 or SUPPORT3; metal textures that work fairly well in techbases or wooden stages (not so much marble or "nature" ones). I'm not 100% sure what GFZ texture would best correspond to that; maybe one of the bridge textures, maybe the one for the side of a GHZ totem pole...

@Metalhead64

I'm assuming you mean me? :-P

[...]but in your screenshot the flats are different from the wall textures; I think GFZII's big problem is that it's just checkers everywhere.

Grass couldshould be added on plain rock areas, even if leaving a border of rock to give the mountainous feel.

good color contrast

Trees, man! They ended up being another big point of my post. Utilize the cross-linedef texture trees I used to make tall/bigger ones and stick them up on the "staggers," instantaneous contrast plus much needed detail and [better word than "realism"]!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back