Weird Sprite Naming & Editing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal96

Ok:

playf1.bmp

^^So these are the normal PLAYFX sprites used in characters.

playf2.bmp

^^Yet, this PLAYF0 sprites exist as the sign. Notice how there is no interference between the walk and the sign in-game.

playf3.bmp

^^Yet, they also exist here as SIGNE, F, and G0.

playf4.bmp

^^But when you make a custom sign, the old ones still appear in-game (sorry, no screenshot,) despite the new SIGN sprites and a recent PLAYF sprite update.

Without the PLAYF sprites, it works fine exept for the default sprites after the spin. With them, the sign still defaults at the end; the walking sequence just glitches to show the new ones.

Why does this happen? I want to use these sprites as an addition to a level.

None of your images work, but your problem is that you're mistaking uppercase letters for lowercase ones. Even though they're the same letter, uppercase and lowercase are represented by different numbers internally in computers (lowercase letters are higher, so they represent later frames). Not many wad editors support lowercase lumps, though, XWE I believe has an option in the settings menu ("Don't auto-capitalize lumps" or something).

I know about the different numbers for a letter. I've always wondered, though: Characters and letters are 8-bit, right? Since they are represented in binary-translation as 00-FF, and 1+2+4+8=F, so FF would be (1+2+4+8) (1+2+4+8), or FF, right?

Anyway, I have SLP set to not force caps. I'll change the sprite names and try again.

I know about the different numbers for a letter. I've always wondered, though: Characters and letters are 8-bit, right? Since they are represented in binary-translation as 00-FF, and 1+2+4+8=F, so FF would be (1+2+4+8) (1+2+4+8), or FF, right?

More like 16 * (1+2+4+8) + (1+2+4+8) = 255 = 0xFF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back