This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

Revan

Formerly Icefox
It's been a while since I've ever submitted something, so here it is. Flying Battery for Kart.

~ Feedback is greatly appreciated but I won't change anything at the moment. Not until I'll gain more Kart mapping experience, but don't worry because I'll take all the tips and feedbacks on the next version. For now enjoy it! ~

Supporters / Co-Authors:

Attachments

• KR_FlyingBattery_V1.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 3,188
  • kart0012.png
    kart0012.png
    117 KB · Views: 5,975
  • kart0013.png
    kart0013.png
    59.4 KB · Views: 4,146
  • kart0003.gif
    kart0003.gif
    7.8 MB · Views: 1,663
Last edited by a moderator:
It's short and simple, but it plays well and looks nice. The turns are smooth and flow together well.

giphy.gif

I just don't get this part. Even playing as a slower character like Tails on normal, I have to slow down just to get this item, and why would I want to do that when there's another row of item boxes just ahead anyway? The level is pretty generous with items already, so unless you get really lucky and get invincibility or something it's kind of pointless to go for it. Especially on hard mode where everyone else will be flying past this turn and get way ahead of you if you slow down enough to go for it. It's also pretty likely you'd still be holding onto whatever item you just got anyway, since the last batch of items is only about 5 seconds before this part.

Last edited:
So I got some point of advice

• What is this encore palette? Sonic Mania has flying battery zone shouldn't it match up with that games? Comparison
  • A big gimmick of flying battery is traveling in and out of a giant air ship, I'd suggest making half the map outside as it currently is while having the other half be the inside of the flying fortress like so
    attachment.php
  • the inside wall textures look really repetitive and uninteresting, I think it would have worked better if the walls were the machinery texture while these were used for the edges
  • item spacing is pretty inconsistent at some points they're all spread out and other times they're closely packed together
  • there's too many boost pads and they don't really add anything to the level, boosters should be used more sparingly and for more risky shortcuts or to try and incentivize the player to go down a specific pathway, having them be unavoidable like this doesn't really give them any value (outside of set pieces like the ramp).
  • a minor nitpick but the fans animations seem to be holding on a one of the frames too long and it makes them look choppy
  • as stated in the post above that item is too hard and too slow to reach to really be any use, having it be at the end too doesn't help the player in last place because the race would most likely be over before they can use it.
I really hope this helps, I think you could really make this map a lot of fun with some more polish.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 9,945
the inside wall textures look really repetitive and uninteresting, I think it would have worked better if the walls were the machinery texture while these were used for the edges.

I'll take the rest of your advices but this one gets me off from my place and I gotta explain why the textures are repetitive. That's because I was extremely limited with them and didn't had someone to actually help me with the textures and I tried to provide symmetry with them as much as I could. As for the encore palette, I'll fix that soon.

「AxeCrusader」;841067 said:
I wonder if it would get a remade version with the textures. Hella love this map

Huh? What do you mean. It uses the textures from Flying battery already. As for it getting remade, it doesnt need to, all it could do with an update fixing the aforementioned issues.

You are right, I didn't explain myself enough and now I have the proper review:
- Even if it's a small track, Flying Battery should have more elements related to the zone. Either you can take them from Sonic Mania or Sonic 3 & Knuckles.
- The item box almost near the finish seems a bit out of place and it isn't really worth it at the end. Either remove it or add a second path sort of like a shortcut.
- I can understand this map is really old, but unless you want to remake it (I highly doubt that because it can be a hard work and I can't judge without knowing a single thing about map building), I suggest to follow the other stuff Sharb says.

In conclusion, I really love Flying Battery, and doing a new map again or just adding new parts of the track can be hard. Either way, I hope I have explained myself better than just a random comment just for it to be at the head of the MB.

A problem with this map that only comes into play in servers is that it uses the same map slot as Skyscrapper Leaps from the Aparte cup, which means that when both addons are loaded, flying battery is the map that overruns, but shares the tint and music from skyscraper Leaps.

I know that this mod is marked as reusable, so a server host could just edit the map slot, but it would be nice if this map officially took up one of the reserved slots to avoid the conflict I just talked about.

I'm pretty sure the encore palette is corrupt; not only does it look funky ingame, but looking in SLADE, the encore palette file is not recognized and is the wrong size.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back