• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Tamkis' Titanium Lua/level design thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamkis

Lua Grasshopper
(Yet another) user's thread of lua and level design! Yayz!

I'm currently porting by hand some Sonic R levels into SRB2, by using extracted .OBJ CAD files of the levels and while playing Sonic R on the PC as reference as an editing exercise. I plan on implementing custom objects with lua such as the twirly powerup collectible emblems from Sonic R, the 5 coin challenges, the ring gates, (maybe?) faked AI racers with bots, etc. Currently, I am working on porting Reactive Factory Zone at the loop section, and have a working pseudo-loop, custom textures ripped from the game, and a warp pad. With some lua, I have also added walking/running above/on/under water sfx. Its' very WIP right now

Video preview

Also finishing up some custom, new ring weapons. (Could somebody help with fixing the bugs here?)

Video
srb20002.gif

Well, hard to give much of an opinion when there isn't much done to the level yet. I only have mixed feelings about the walking sounds from Sonic R.

This could have quite the potential! You might be able to create a fun Circuit-type map and playstyle. Plus, having custom bots and such would be very cool.
Good Luck!

Last edited:
You might be able to create a fun Circuit-type map and playstyle.

That's exact what I am aiming at :).

Custom-bots.
After thinking about it last night, probably the best way to go about doing the "bots" is via modified Metal Sonic Race characters with skins, since the original "AI" in Sonic R seems to be pre-defined and relatively hard-coded anyhow (each track on the SR PC CD has AI files). Also, it is not possible to create more than one bot according to a previous thread without recreating everything by scratch.

As for creating an icon-based race ranking system, I could create a lua Bubble sort algorithm to sort the top 5 characters by lap and then by checkpoint ID # and show the life icons on the left like in Sonic R. Though, this might become probabematic for races if I am using Metal Sonic Race objects. For the warp/speed pads and loops, I am currently using Zoom Tube waypoints. Last night, I tried disabling some of the waypoints for the warp pad in order to recreate the ring requirement percentage mechanic by forcing some of the angles to -1 in order to "disable" waypoints in the zoom tube set, with no luck.

I also now have working ring gates, and have added some life/character icons ripped from Sonic R. (You can ignore the extra yellow FOF; it's an error with tag sharing. The ring gate does have the ring amount posted on a sign)

Oh right, Sonic R in SRB2... again! =3
Anyway hum, can't tell much about a level that just started developpement and that is really empty right now. Some of Sonic R's tracks will be pretty hard to recreate without putting stairs everywhere; Radical City (that's its name right?) is a good exemple, just look the ugly thing it was in SRB2Riders >> I could suggest to create your own circuits, to fit more SRB2's style and make use of the character abilities.

Now about your weapons, it looks fine, but too much like the regular SRB2. The turret thingy could be done by another way =3 (I should really give a shot to this shit one day and try to Lua this =3)
And also, why are the player's projectiles damaging it? Are you using the P_SpawnPlayerMissile things? It should make the player invulnerable to its own projectiles (Unless I'm wrong.)

Just a suggestion, you might want to use a better number texture for that door. Using plain simple Windows font like that is not the best thing to do. Maybe something from the original game would do, even.
Found those exact textures earlier this morning; to be implemented next time I work on the level.

Radical City/SRB2 Riders
*snip
I'll cross this bridge when I get to it. (Probably will just have to use ugly stairs.) Red Enchilada was working on Slopes earlier with lua...

And also, why are the player's projectiles damaging it? Are you using the P_SpawnPlayerMissile things? It should make the player invulnerable to its own projectiles (Unless I'm wrong.)
I don't know why, I'm using P_SpawnPlayerMissile() with some vanilla MT_ object types (although some are actual enemy/boss projectiles, which is most likely the problem). P_SpawnPlayerMissile() SHOULD be making the player invulnerable, unless there are other variables behind the scenes which are at play. I actually had to add about 1 sec of temporarly invincibility when launching a few items to prevent self-infliction upon use.

Some HUD changes for the Sonic-R mod, to more match the game's HUD, using SOC and Lua. And also custom Token and Powerup emblem. (Powerup emblem defined, but having some problems)

And a youtube video showing the LUA for the powerup emblem and some tunes. (Used some Sonic Xtreme, Virtua Racing DX, and Virtua Fighter music to fill in some tunes that Sonic R does not have equivalents for, such as invincibility, speedy shoes, and extra life.) (Just pretend the ring objects are powerup emblems; I can't seem to get Lua's TouchSpecial hook to hook on my custom powerup emblem, despite giving the object MF_Special in the object def.)

Next to do is to add display and sorting of racers #1st-5th in Circuit mode, and icons for the collect tokens/balloons :)

I honestly didn't know someone was working on something for Sonic R, I could really use someone like you to help me finish porting my mod, I do need some help on working on it more.

After talking to Deadpool, we decided to merge our work for a Sonic R mod and collaborate.

Bringing a whole new meaning to "Race" and "Competition" modes in SRB2 with lua, showing off Sonic-R esque race ranking, even for the Metal Sonic Race object! (I hope he doesn't mind me showing this tweak.)

After talking to Deadpool, we decided to merge our work for a Sonic R mod and collaborate.

Bringing a whole new meaning to "Race" and "Competition" modes in SRB2 with lua, showing off Sonic-R esque race ranking, even for the Metal Sonic Race object! (I hope he doesn't mind me showing this tweak.)
Wow That just great in my opinion and just wonder how good this find out to be!
Let it get good luck because if this can fix Sonic R with it's clunky controls i think this is going to be best recreation of Sonic R I imagined!

Well I honestly wasn't going to show anything until the level's were at least decent without any texture error's or any kind of error's but I guess since you already posted it, it's fine, let's just say it's progress it needs alot more work though. But Tamkis if you wanna show something's I don't mind as long as you don't show anything else besides the Sonic R level's. You were actually showing off your wads so it's not a problem.

Also Tamkis I'll PM you back as soon as I finish making this thing, I'll show you later though.

Last edited:
Well I honestly wasn't going to show anything until the level's were at least decent without any texture error's or any kind of error's but I guess since you already posted it, it's fine, let's just say it's progress it needs alot more work though. But Tamkis if you wanna show something's I don't mind as long as you don't show anything else besides the Sonic R level's. You were actually showing off your wads so it's not a problem.

Also Tamkis I'll PM you back as soon as I finish making this thing, I'll show you later though.

You're using apostrophes wrong. They're supposed to show ownership or the position of a missing letter in a contraction, not make words plural. So error's
Would mean 'Belongs to error', not 'there are multiple errors'.
The only other case, with contractions, would be for things like aren't or isn't or they're.

Are not, you remove the o. So it's replaced by they apostrophe.
Is not is the same.
They are, you remove the a. Thus, it is replaced by the apostrophe.

Please stop using them wrong.

Deadpool the Hedge gets to use apostrophe's however they want!

Anyways, the stuff in this topic i's pretty cool. I cant' wait to see more!

After a few weeks of battling against final exams and the end of the semester, made some improvemnts on the race HUD lua wad:
  • Console commands
    • "MSName <string>"
      • Changes the Metal Sonic opponent's name
    • "MSRace <bool>"
      • Toggles the Metal Sonic opponent in circuit levels
    • "Pinch <bool>"
      • Toggles the pinch mode
      • Toggles the speeding up of music after the 1st place racer finishes the race
    • "DBUG <bool>"
      • Toggles debug display for your and Metal Sonic's ranking variables
        • Icon rank
        • Numeric Rank
        • Laps completed
        • Number of checkpoints hit
        • Total number of Checkpoints in the map
        • Max amount of players currently playing
  • HUD improvements
    • Race Rank # in bottom left corner
    • "Win"/"Lose" logos
      • Shown depending if you finish in 1st place
    • Displaying of the player's username on the Race HUD
      • Truncated to 10 chars
      • Usernames and face icons
        • Faded once they finish the race
        • Capitalized for some unknown reason when finished
      • Different colored text names
        • Yellow for you
        • Red for Metal Sonic opponent
        • White for other human oppponents
    • Opponent's race stats
      • Separate lump "MSICO" for custom Metal Sonic opponent's face icon
      • Console reporting on
        • What his lap is
        • If he is finished
        • (like with human racers in circuit mode).
All ranking is computed using the # of laps completed and then the ID# of the last starpost hit. Using starpost activators and by replicating Circuit/Race mode rules for Metal Sonic, he too is ranked. The HUD wad should be flexible enough for developers to implement into their own circuit-based mods (such as SRB2 Riders 2.1, SMSKart, etc) or for generic Competition/Race/Circuit netgames, once it eventually gets submitted into submissions. (After squashing some serious netplay bugs and splitting the Sonic-R assets out of it for the Race lua wad's own publically released version.)
Race HUD in action with a simple MSRace circuit test level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back