Jumping Into a Small Space while Ceiling is Moving Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal96

...Kills you, rather than making you spin like it should.

Kciso4x.gif

EducatedThatCamel.gif

This is apparently a really hard bug to fix, as it's been in the game since moving platforms were introduced, and also is in the classics (and I'm pretty sure it's a bug in the classics too)

If you look closely, there's a single frame of Sonic standing before he's crushed. My theory is that, because Sonic is curled up in a ball when jumping, his hitbox is small enough to fit in the gap, but when he is, the game makes him land and stand, which results in him getting crushed. You have probably figured this out, though.

Well, it would be logical if the player character starts to spin when this situation happens, like you're trying to crawl through the small space. But I don't think it would be implemented not just because it's "hard" (really?) to fix but... uh... SRB2 tries to emulate classic games?

I don't think it was. To answer the above posts, the reason this bug occurs is because the moving platform code is checking as it moves to determine whether or not to crush you, where a static ceiling isn't. It sees you in a gap that's too small for you to stand up in, sees that the platform is moving and makes the incorrect assumption that it's moving down onto your head that caused you to be in an area that you can't stand up in. You'll notice that if this happens to you with a stationary ceiling you'll roll in the gap instead.

This is not behavior we intend to reproduce just because it's in the classics. The classics aren't perfect, and this is totally a bug. It's just an annoying bug to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back