• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Botanic Serenity is almost here! (NiGHTS Preview; request for bugs and oddities)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone here is good at editing MP3s (i.e. cutting certain sections and putting them together,) please send me a PM. I want a couple tracks edited in a seamless fashion. I could do it myself, but it'd be much better if I could delegate the task to someone else, to save time. Thanks!

I'd happily do it for you, but I can't make them have a looppoint. My Winamp will delete everything in sight when I try to edit the tags. |;

Also, what do you mean by emblems? I couldn't actually find any in the normal Botanic Serenity, I thought it was in the sunset level by the way you explained it.

This has been bothering me a bit, but the LFALL doesn't seem to look right because it's solid. Would t be possible to make it translucent a bit?

@Violo: Yeah, I did mean the sunset level -- that's where the emblems are. Can you send me a previous sample of your musical work? Just one. I just wanna make sure you really can manage music. :)

The LFALL wall can't be transparent 'cause it's designed to improve performance. I might be able to change that texture, though.

The LFALL wall can't be transparent 'cause it's designed to improve performance. I might be able to change that texture, though.
Perhaps a transparent water layer over some rocks? I mean, you've got another FOF to render, so there's drawbacks.

I am not sure if I like seeing that cliff texture everywhere. Not sure what would replace it. Perhaps something with a larger pattern?

Everything else seems good. I find it slightly amusing that I am listed under WAD fixes. Tee hee.

Question: Who here has bothered to try finding all the emblems? And who has succeeded? I'm considering making the emblem hunt a required part of the game (with more fair locations,) but wanted to know if it's worth it.

I got the emblems by cheating when it first came out. Your complicated system did make it more difficult to cheat, but the draw distance still made it far more viable than actually finding them.
I actually prefer emblems that are easy to find but hard to reach, rather than emblems that you basically have to comb through the level in a set pattern to get close enough for the draw distance to kick in.

Required for secrets sounds good, but I don't like the idea of getting all the emblems being required for progressing. Maybe it'd be best to force the player to get a fraction of them, and just have a bonus for those that get 100%.

I might put a jukebox in BSZ so players can listen to different musics while hunting for emeralds and emblems. Five tracks might add up to 1MB extra compared to the original 1.09.4 BSZ. What NiGHTS tracks would be good for it, do you think? I've got:

Eloquent Echo (JoD): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0vgqIji_QM
Wandering Wilderness (JoD): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWff95UH-kM
Frozen Bell

Five tracks maximum will go in the main WAD. I could always release a separate wadfile for music, too.

Uh, it would actually add around 5MB. I got around 600KB for a 25 sec piece of music (the one I showed you) when I compressed it fully. So it depends on the length of the music.

OGG at 60kbps for 2 minutes shouldn't be that bad. I believe that amounts to 700kb/track, and 3-5MB total? Plus, BSZ v2.0 is a smaller download than the original, without the musics and without the three High/Mid/Low-End versions. The extra music evens it out, but I might be wrong :)

Here's the new flower grass, btw:
srb20050.png

Last edited:
Oh yeah, my piece was 1:35 min long. "o.o
Anyway, the grass looks a lot more consistent. Keep it up. I want to see this done. :D

You should put the NiGHTS Theme with lyrics from that one level in JoD where you get to see Will and Helen flying without NiGHTS' Dualization powers.

Well for song suggestions, this is one of my favorites from JoD:

Sky Concert
I'd like to see at least one of the "Dreams Dreams" songs make it in... although "Cruising Together" is nice, its more appropriate for a last level than merely part of a playlist.

Might also use Sweeping Seashore; it sounds fairly upbeat and might be a nice addition to the mix.

Also, you could also pick some NiGHTS-ish songs from other soundtracks or remixes. Aquaria has some rather good candidates if you can find one that doesn't sound like it is underwater.

Where did you look? The NiGHTS Tutorial is awful, but the NiGHTS Technical Document is actually quite helpful, and should at least help you get an idea until somebody gets around to rewriting the actual tutorial.

Thanks, I've bookmarked that and when I get VMWare, I shall give it a go.

I have to say how impressed by the Nights Mods, I would make cool little worlds but I'd never put in the time to creating the world above as well, Botanic Serenity is greatly graphical as well as true to Nights! Can't wait to try it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back