• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

My first level: Little Canyon Cave

Status
Not open for further replies.

blm768

I've recently started making levels, and I'm currently working on my first real project. I hope to eventually enter it into the OLDC.

Anyway, I thought I'd make a beta release of the first section of the level and see what kinds of feedback I get. There's not much there yet, but I'll post updates as I expand it.

This is my plan for the level so far:
At the first fork, the level will split into water- and lava-themed sections. The water-themed section will be easier but longer. The water path opens up into a large room where the player will be able to either travel to the top of the room or take a waterslide from the bottom. The upper path will involve some mildly challenging platforming and will lead either to a shortcut or to some good items. If the player falls in this area, he/she will drop down into the previously mentioned waterslide and be carried to its end, which will probably be a quick zoom tube that will put the player somewhere on the lava path. This path will continue deep into the ground. I haven't worked out the rest of the level, but it will probably follow the cave/water/lava theme.

I've uploaded the WAD at https://www.dropbox.com/s/7i896xeg759ga51/test.wad.

The file won't work unless I test it in Doom Builder.

Anyway, I think a name like "Little Canyon Cave Zone" is a little strange, since most level names only consist of two words, so "Canyon Cave Zone" might be better.

Another thing: never put item boxes that reward you in plain sight. For example: that attraction shield should be a reward, not just put in front of you.

One more thing: Cactuses don't go good with the rock textures you have, try making small sectors with the Arid Canyon Zone flats and that should work.

The file won't work unless I test it in Doom Builder.

I'll have to figure out what's causing that. It's probably something small.

Anyway, I think a name like "Little Canyon Cave Zone" is a little strange, since most level names only consist of two words, so "Canyon Cave Zone" might be better.

I'll think about changing that; it would fit the norm better.

Another thing: never put item boxes that reward you in plain sight. For example: that attraction shield should be a reward, not just put in front of you.

I actually meant it to be a lure to get the player to walk on the collapsing floor, but I guess I could replace it with some rings. I should also leave a gap around it so it's more obvious.

One more thing: Cactuses don't go good with the rock textures you have, try making small sectors with the Arid Canyon Zone flats and that should work.

I definitely need to fix that. I haven't really thought out my decoration scheme yet.

I've updated the map with a way to reach the top of the water room. I won't spoil the details, but I learned a lot about gargoyle boxes while making it.

Seems like a solid start so far! The opening grassy part is fun to play, and so is the water part. I can't really figure out how to go forward in the water part. The only real problem with your map so far (besides the music stopping at the first checkpoint, I'm not sure if that's intentional) is that its too bare. Some rings, decorative Things, or even a few more enemies will liven things up a considerable amount.

Seems like a solid start so far! The opening grassy part is fun to play, and so is the water part. I can't really figure out how to go forward in the water part. The only real problem with your map so far (besides the music stopping at the first checkpoint, I'm not sure if that's intentional) is that its too bare. Some rings, decorative Things, or even a few more enemies will liven things up a considerable amount.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad that you like it; I wasn't sure what people would think of my first attempt.
The music stopping was intentional, but I've been considering removing it because it could be a bit confusing. I'll also have to make the water path clearer; there's a rising platform, but its textures make it look like part of the platform next to it. I haven't really done much for enemies and decorations, but I'll get to that eventually.

I've done a little updating on the map, but it's nowhere near finished. I was originally planning to enter this into the OLDC, but I'm not sure if I can get it ready in time. I might wait until the next one, or I might just cut it short and enter it to get some feedback. At least it's not a rush job :).

The file won't work unless I test it in Doom Builder

Doesn't bother me a bit. I hit download and it automatically opens in DB. Anyway, I mention that because I gotta say at first glace (2D builder interface) this map shows WAY more promise and creativity than most people's first crack! I was happy to dive in and start playing:D You have a good eye so, props on that.

The zone has a good flow and your player-to-environment ratios are spot on! By this I mean it's not cramped or overly large and empty.

Now the critique; I noticed one of your walls is missing a texture.

Then there's the first bridge with the springs under it. The springs are not a bad idea but consider the bridge as an obstacle. This game is supposed to penalize the player for being less than sure-footed. However, when I fell off the bridge, the springs were right there puttin' me quickly back on track. The springs really should be at the beginning of the bridge, forcing the player to walk it again.

Keep up the good work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back