Suggestions

A wad On and Off switch? Wouldn't not adding the wad be a better solution? It's not like the game is forcing Vanilla Sonic to be F-Sonic. (But I did make a script for it :3)

Do a little easier ATZ.
It is ridiculously difficult, my game ability, give to complete ERZ with speedrun without losing rings + time record.
Coming from me, the map makes it seem too difficult. Obvious I completed the entire game.

Apart from the fan route at the end (which I bet no one uses thanks to the far easier trapgoyle puzzle route), I can't say ATZ really needs to be made easier in any way. It's supposed to be ridiculously difficult! Given that it's an unlockable "Hyper Level" that's meant to be harder than even AGZ especially. =P

Get rid of this asshole. I've been trying to record a decent run of ERZ for the last three days and I still can't get past this without getting shot. It's not even funny. (yes I re-did this level so many times it made me complain on the forum)
hslw85.jpg

And shorten Metal Sonic's pinch phase, it's plain ridiculous.

These suggestions seriously aren't crying to make something easier, considering this has nothing to do with difficulty at all, it's just plain cheap and unfair. This game seriously needs more anti-frustration mechanisms.

Pfft

Just jump straight to the last platform and then on to the steam jet. Try it :v (or skip the platform if you're baller enough)

Also metal's pinch is cake too? If you form a straight 90° line from him to you to the wall as he readies to charge he'll just bounce back and forth harmlessly. Though admittedly it is garbage you have to do that it pays off

Get rid of this asshole. I've been trying to record a decent run of ERZ for the last three days and I still can't get past this without getting shot. It's not even funny. (yes I re-did this level so many times it made me complain on the forum)
You've hit on the intended tactic in your screenshot. You stand on that platform, get him to shoot at you, and then jump onto the jet in the time it takes for him to reload. If you're trying to speedrun, then you could just intentionally get hit to save time or bring the Armageddon Shield to blow him away. If you're looking to actually do it optimally then you're going to need great timing to jump at the jet from the side and have it launch you before the snailer fires, but if you're just trying to get the emblem that kind of skill isn't even remotely required.

And shorten Metal Sonic's pinch phase, it's plain ridiculous. These suggestions seriously aren't crying to make something easier, considering this has nothing to do with difficulty at all, it's just plain cheap and unfair.
The problem with Metal Sonic is how he doesn't telegraph how his pinch works particularly well. Each dash in pinch consists of an aimed dash directly at the player followed by three bounces off the wall. He repeats cycle while he's dashing, meaning that the simple tactic to avoid him is to lure him into dashing in a direction where his bounces are harmless. The easiest method is to lure him to dashing straight at a wall head-on, making him bounce back and forth harmlessly

There's nothing unfair about Metal Sonic's pinch, it's just a bit too hard to see what's going on if you weren't paying attention on the slowest, first version. I agree he takes too long, but that's more a "this is boring hurry up" than being overly difficult.

This game seriously needs more anti-frustration mechanisms.
We think the game needs handicapping systems to grant the player more lives upon continuing, but overall I'm quite happy with how our game's difficulty curve is working out, except for ERZ being too long before a save. It's important to realize that our game is actively trying to be difficult at the end, and require the player actually practice, get better, and try hard to succeed. There's nothing lamer than action games with good game mechanics that never dial up the challenge level at any point so those good game mechanics actually matter.

Last edited:
It's important to realize that our game is actively trying to be difficult at the end, and require the player actually practice, get better, and try hard to succeed. There's nothing lamer than action games with good game mechanics that never dial up the challenge level at any point so those good game mechanics actually matter.
To further drive Monster's point, this in particular is why ATZ shouldn't be any easier. It's important to remember that maps aren't only maps missing between RVZ1 and ERZ, but also between ERZ and ATZ. IIRC, there would be three "super zones" and "hyper zones"; AGZ and ATZ currently belong to the latter (though I'd personally love to see ATZ being the first hyper zone and having them get harder from there, lol)

Any possible way we can get exported FFMpeg video recordings of our level replays using Equirectangular rendering so we can get very cool shots of the levels we are running through.

...The problem with Metal Sonic is how he doesn't telegraph how his pinch works particularly well. Each dash in pinch consists of an aimed dash directly at the player followed by three bounces off the wall. He repeats cycle while he's dashing, meaning that the simple tactic to avoid him is to lure him into dashing in a direction where his bounces are harmless. The easiest method is to lure him to dashing straight at a wall head-on, making him bounce back and forth harmlessly.

For me, the problem with that phase isn't the attacks, but rather having to jerk the camera around every time he bounces around so I don't lose sight of him when he attacks. Maybe a forced FOV increase during the pinch phase could make avoiding his attacks a little easier.

And also,
Suggestion: Make the FOV slider move in larger increments
Cause it's not very fun to have to wait an unnecessary long time just to bump the FOV to 100. Although I don't see this being a priority because OpenGL.

Hm, I suppose I get what you mean. Can't possibly ask for more when knowing the horrid ERZ2 miniboss is getting removed, can I?

Anyway, is anything to be done with CEZ2's final room? While gameplay-wise, it's just a bunch of Robo-hoods placed with utmost inconvenience, otherwise it's quite fine. It's still an eyesore to look at though - extremely tall, one-textured walls and a random flying blob of bricks in the middle? I'm sure something else could be put in its place.

For me, the problem with that phase isn't the attacks, but rather having to jerk the camera around every time he bounces around so I don't lose sight of him when he attacks. Maybe a forced FOV increase during the pinch phase could make avoiding his attacks a little easier.
Why change the camera? Just make it so you don't even have to look at the bounce. A GIF from long ago that demonstrates the easiest tactic: http://mystic.srb2.org/images/srb2/srb20001.gif

I think the main problem is exactly what was stated before, in that it's not really conveyed well to the player that this can be done. Hell, I didn't know that's how it worked until seeing that gif just now.

I think the best solution would be to make it so Metal is always charging towards the player. Instead of the immediate bounce he currently gets on the walls, he should probably just hang on the walls for that split second he currently does before homing in on the player, giving you JUST enough time to react without having to figure out what I really consider to be an unintuitive mechanic

The plan to fix this last time it came up was to use sound to convey that information (bounce noise for the bounces), but we haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

Could you add a "Pitch" variable for formats that support it (i.e. spc, vgm, etc.) and maybe a corresponding variable in the Tunes command? it would be useful if someone wanted to make a wad where the pitch shifts if you go underwater or something like that.

I made a lua like that during 2.1.14, but it was rejected because of SDL2 problems compared to DirectDraw. I think it's suppose to work by 2.2 but I wouldn't know that since Furyhunter left and Red has been working on it since. (I could be wrong altogether but meh, just another post)

Nothing to do with SDL2, everything to do with SDL_Mixer (which, despite appearances, is entirely seperate).

SDL_Mixer is worse than FMOD in every single way except one: It's GPL compatible. We were in a legal grey area by violating its license with every SRB2 release, although why that matters when it's a Sonic fangame and we're in a legal grey area already by using intellectual property we don't own as the basis for this game, I have no idea.

Red hasn't taken anything of Fury's over except maybe being the person on the devteam who knows the most about the software renderer, and that's still arguable. As a result, nobody is touching the sound mixer right this moment. There have been idle mutterings by a few other devs about removing a few limits again, but don't get your hopes up.

EDIT: to anyone redirected here from YevaEA's signature, i didn't actually come up with that quote myself so I've removed it from this post.

Last edited:
I believe Wolfy was working on his owm fork, that would have some improvements compared to SDL_Mixer.

Guys, I have a suggestion, what with cutscenes between level to level?
In the vanilla game? There's very close to no reason for that (especially considering not all vanilla levels have even been made yet). For modders? We can already do that using CutsceneNum and PreCutsceneNum in level headers.

Guys, I have a suggestion, what with cutscenes between level to level?
I think cutscenes were intended at some point but I think they scrapped that idea a long time ago. However, it would be nice to see some in-game transitions to each new zone after every boss act similar to Sonic 3, showing how each character jumped to the next zone. That would be pretty cool and a nice little touch.

We've gone over this several times in the thread and I'm pretty sure the stance that it's too much of a pain to impliment hasn't changed.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Back