• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

fickle hearts and other parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't have portal flats (yet?) so nope.

We don't have portal flats (yet?) so nope.
We don't need portal flats for that specific idea. A transparent FOF over a vertically flipped copy of a room combined with Lua tricks to copy all objects from the top of it to the bottom (and making them up-side down) would suffice, right? (And that way it'd even support OpenGL.) Perhaps one would need to use vertically flipped variants of certain textures for it to look completely convincing, but it'd barely be noticable without that for most textures anyway.

Edit: I would make a proof of concept image, but that'd require me to set this up in a map first, and I'm not quite sure about how to do this "copy object to somewhere else" stuff yet, plus this is not even my thread, so me posting pictures here is sort of... eh. But you probably get the idea.

Last edited:
The sprite reflection script doesn't currently have support for flipping things vertically, but it's possible to add if I ever need it. The level geometry would be built out manually (like the current setup does) so that part's easy. But for my purposes at least, there's no use for those unless I wanted them for decoration, since I'm doing a whole bunch of gimmicks with things only being visible through a mirror, and you can't see vertically very well in SRB2.

AgonizingTestyGermanshorthairedpointer.gif

Another concept I don't really have any plans of finishing

Yesssss I knew Kodachrome Void would inspire people to do more abstract levels someday

Looking great!

Why do I get the feeling like sonic is inside something or some one? (ID Unknown)

Also, outlines?!

Reminds me of a map I made for Action Doom 2, I wanna take a guess ^^, The Cel Shaders are actually Black Middle textures in 1 side of each linedef.

Reminds me of a map I made for Action Doom 2, I wanna take a guess ^^, The Cel Shaders are actually Black Middle textures in 1 side of each linedef.
False. If that was the case, the lines would always be visible from one angle, while you'll notice here that they disappear and reappear as the planes fold and unfold around themselves.

Since a guessing game sounds fun, I'll give you a hint: there's one custom FOF in each sector. Open up ZB and experiment with different layout and FOF flag combos and the trick might jump out at you.

False. If that was the case, the lines would always be visible from one angle, while you'll notice here that they disappear and reappear as the planes fold and unfold around themselves.

Since a guessing game sounds fun, I'll give you a hint: there's one custom FOF in each sector. Open up ZB and experiment with different layout and FOF flag combos and the trick might jump out at you.
*shrug*

I just figured that it was using the sonic shuffle trick of form-fitting, visible-from-one-side geometry hovering just above surface, attributed the lines appearing all at once instead of partially to software being weird, and moved on.

Sure does look neat, though.

Last edited:

Holy crap, is that Cell Shading? IN SRB2?!?
Sorry If I'm wrong, but those black lines around everything just kinda reminds me of it. To me, I first thought of Roly Poly Putt and Sonic Runners with how there is black outlines around everything. Pretty cool!

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

AgonizingTestyGermanshorthairedpointer.gif

Another concept I don't really have any plans of finishing

That and this make me want actual levels of these to play. They look SO cool!

Holy crap, is that Cell Shading? IN SRB2?!? Sorry If I'm wrong, but those black lines around everything just kinda reminds me of it. To me, I first thought of Roly Poly Putt and Sonic Runners with how there is black outlines around everything. Pretty cool!
"Cel shading" is... I don't know how to explain it, but it's the opposite of super smooth shading. It's like the shading used on characters in for example The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker or The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. The outlines RedEnchilada made on the floor/ceiling are basically just... well, outlines. I don't think they're really called anything other than that.

Yeah, I guess its not really cel shading. But still, those black outlines do give the structure a unique feel to it. Like I said, I'd like to see that and the Colesseum become real levels, because they look cool.

That looks awesome. What is it? Save the Crawlas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back