What's next, Sonic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
TrueTenguMan said:
luminous said:
like Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, and both Sonic Adventure were masterful

Sonic Hero's cons: Not much replay value (as in the same levels but boring areas..unless your getting the chaos emeralds which help sort of) and the plot didn't help.

Shadow The hedgehog cons: The ultimate lifeform using arsenals, horrible multiplayer, Dreamcast graphics=fail, gamplay was a mess (glitches & bugs gallore. Also jumps were short and speed was slow)

And the AI was just completely idiotic. If your on the ally side, shouldn't they be on your side?? Same with the black arms.

Edit: I can't really agree with you on the masterful part on these two
The AI in shaodw the hedgehog really do suck, the only time they don't shoot is when you're in those levels with maria. Plus the story was so freaking confusing.

Luminous said:
both Sonic Adventure games were masterful.

"Masterful" is pushing it. The SA duo is a couple of the most enjoyable Sonic games I've played, but the fact still remains that they are outdated and buggy.

Don't get me wrong; I'd still go as far as to say SA1 was better than any other 3D Sonic game. It not only had an interesting plot for its time, but it also had just as interesting subplots for each playable character (except for Big). It handled characters and levels very well -- you're mostly going to be running as Sonic in a wide variety of gimmicky stages, but if you want for a different style of gameplay, you can play as one of the characters, each having a few stages; each of these gameplays added a significant variable to the gameplay but maintained the Sonic feel (except for Big). Just as significant is the fact that there are many things about the game that harken back to the classics in sound, gameplay, themes, and even some level design. A lot of great aspects about the game all-around.

The things that I think push the game back, however, are the bugs littered throughout the game (not Tails in Emerald Coast; I'm talking about things like falling through a loop de loop), hilariously bad cutscenes, the awkward ratio of action stages to cutscenes / adventure fields, and an arguably moderate difficulty throughout the whole game.

All in all, Sonic Adventure 1 (and 2, if you want to include it), is a great game -- it just isn't quite perfect. It just looks perfect, because compared to any other 3D Sonic game SEGA's pumped out, buying it is a no-brainer.

I'm pretty sure there would be less hate towards the Werehog if he was replaced by Knuckles. It's just the concept of Sonic being slow that bummed everyone out.

That's kinda the problem, though. Sega would rather introduce new characters than bring back old ones.

Blaze comes to mind. Albeit she had plot significance, why not have Shadow be Sonic's rival?

TrueTenguMan said:
Dreamcast graphics=fail
The Dreamcast is more powerful than the PS2, and possibly more than the Gamecube if not about the same. I know what you MEANT, but get your facts right before you word it like that.

DanteEX said:
I'm pretty sure there would be less hate towards the Werehog if he was replaced by Knuckles. It's just the concept of Sonic being slow that bummed everyone out.
Of course! Sonic And Knuckles Unleashed! If they made Warehog faster, control better, and were Knuckles instead, it'd be perfect.

But really, that's what annoys me about the latest Sonic games. The old games were Pick Up And Play and you were pretty much at full power at the start, minus the Chaos Emeralds, which is justafiable since it's for getting the alternate ending. But in Secret Rings and Unleashed, you start off being really weak and you can only get more powerful by enduring how weak you start off as. That's not what Sonic is about. He's supposed to be at full power from the start.

BlueZero4 said:
Blaze comes to mind. Albeit she had plot significance, why not have Shadow be Sonic's rival?

Shadow should have been dead at the end of SA2.

Blue Warrior said:
BlueZero4 said:

Shadow should have been dead at the end of SA2.
This. Even though Shadow is one of my favourites, he really should have stayed dead in SA2. He's not as cool anymore now.

Cue said:
BlueZero4 said:
"This next game is going to take Sonic back to his roots! We swear!"

Gardening with Sonic the Hedgehog?

No no no wait, I think this one could work:
Gardening with Sonic the Hedgehog
I can see it now...
gardening.png

Well excuse me for having dreams...

BlueZero4 said:
Equally, Blaze should have never come back either.
You've never seen Sonic Rush's final ending, have you? It was just open enough to suggest Blaze would probably make more appearances. Shadow on the other hand, died. Sadly, Sonic Team came up with a totally unrealistic way of bringing him back...

It's an endless loop of emo.
In 30 years Sonic will have 56 other characters and he will be a hedgehog in armor and heavy metal cannons on his arm, shooting down eggmans ship only to beat him again and suckify the game.
Meanwhile Shadow will live on the ark repeating the word EMO, every single DAMN second.... EMO..... EMO..... ELMO

I believe the next logical choice for the storybook series would be something related to the Odyssey or Argonauts and using characters and events from all over Greek Mythology to add to the package. Given that most of the Sonic characters are more caricatures than real characters, it wouldn't be hard to identify some of them with greek deities (Athena = Blaze/Tikal, Ares = Knuckles, Poseidon = Shadow etc)
We've already touched on both middle-east lore and western lore, so the next choice would either be something eastern or ancient. If they go with something Greek, then we can probably expect to see some kind of sailing/overworld theme a'la Phantom Hourglass/Rush Adventure.

Otherwise, I think they are going to capitalize on the daytime gameplay from Unleashed for the next game in the actual series, but with a little more emphasis placed on the kind of platforming we saw in Werehog. It will probably be stand-alone, like Unleashed, and rather than get mixed up in the continuity mess simply avoid it completely.

I expect we'll see a new Sonic Chronicles game, and I might expect them to simply go for real-time events instead of elite-beat styled events as well as streamline the system in some areas while adding more complexity in others.

As for whether or not there'll be another Riders, Rivals, or Rush game, anyone's guess is as good as mine. However, following the pattern, Riders will have the Rogues, Rush will have Blaze, and Rivals will add a few more characters to the eight they already have.

Actually, humpty dumpty would be better. Eggman falls off the wall, breaks up into a bunch of pieces, and they somehow fly all across the world. Subsequently, you'll spend the rest of the game trying to find the pieces.

BlueZero4 said:
Actually, humpty dumpty would be better. Eggman falls off the wall, breaks up into a bunch of pieces, and they somehow fly all across the world. Subsequently, you'll spend the rest of the game trying to find the pieces.

Eggrobo falls off the wall and Sonic, Knuckles, and Eggman challenge each other to get all the pieces.

Dr.Pepper said:
You've never seen Sonic Rush's final ending, have you? It was just open enough to suggest Blaze would probably make more appearances.
I believe I have, actually. It made it sound like Blaze had to stay in her universe to make things stable. Conversely, she wasn't even from another universe in 2k6, which was just as stupid a decision as the things Sonic Team has been doing with Shadow.

Also, Rush Adventure never happened. It was that bad.

BlueZero4 said:
I believe I have, actually. It made it sound like Blaze had to stay in her universe to make things stable. Conversely, she wasn't even from another universe in 2k6, which was just as stupid a decision as the things Sonic Team has been doing with Shadow.

Also, Rush Adventure never happened. It was that bad.
With the way Sonic explained it to Blaze, "Nothing can go wrong", so long as those controlling the Emeralds know exactly what they're doing. The worlds were only unstable in the beginning of the game because Eggman was careless as usual, intentionally trying to use the Emeralds to create an alternate dimension, which ripped a hole in the space-time continuum blah-blah-blah and all that other lame crap. So yeah, Blaze could come back without any serious consequences to either world. Although in the case of Rush Adventure, the emeralds themselves brought Sonic and Tails to Blaze's dimension. (Although I was really hoping for something better than a giant, bland ocean with islands scattered all over it. D:)

And wait, you thought Rush Adventure was that bad? Sure, the level design didn't focus enough on actual platforming, (Mostly running, bouncing off springs, and performing tricks.) the Ocean Overworld was cheap and frustrating, the story would have been just fine if Marine wasn't so damned annoying, the final "boss" was the most **** cheap excuse for a final boss ever, but saying that it didn't happen? Care to elaborate?

Now that I think about it, there are tons of things in SRA that could have been much better, and its lacking level design is hardly up to par with SR's. Why do I even bother defending it? XD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back