• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Jay's Miscellaneous Makings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious, how did you do that door opening thing sideways? I'm guessing you used PolyObjects?

Not in Mario galaxy series, this is just a star that randomly flashes, it makes afterimages while running, I think the one we have there is based on this.

But there's one reason for that: It's in a game where Power Stars exist, and have eyes. In fact, the Rainbow Star is more like a piece of metal than a normal star like Jay made.

But there's one reason for that: It's in a game where Power Stars exist, and have eyes. In fact, the Rainbow Star is more like a piece of metal than a normal star like Jay made.

Ah yes, this makes sense. He just has to add two black points and shade them to the star... and make it glow like Super Sonic and he'll be done then?

EDIT: Also, your pipes look weird, I'd rather see a plain Green color than this, because this kind of texture (Like the regular SRB2 pipe texture for mario koopa blast) always looked weird for me. Tough it's just my opinion.

Last edited:
Yet another GIF, this time of the fire flower.
fireball.gif

This is basically how fireballs will work. They lose speed with each bounce, and disappear once they're going slow enough. Ignore the recolored spinning flame jet sprites, they're placeholders (Unless everyone thinks they look fine, in which case I'll keep them)

I originally did intend for mine to be a Rainbow Star, so whenever I get around to it I'll either make a better sprite or use MotorRoach's (with the eyes removed).

Also, your pipes look weird, I'd rather see a plain Green color than this, because this kind of texture (Like the regular SRB2 pipe texture for mario koopa blast) always looked weird for me. Tough it's just my opinion.

I don't necessarily think a solid color would be any better. It'd be like using REDWALL, in which case it'd just look like a giant blob of solid color.

I'm curious, how did you do that door opening thing sideways? I'm guessing you used PolyObjects?

I did.

Last edited:
I don't necessarily think a solid color would be any better. It'd be like using REDWALL, in which case it'd just look like a giant blob of solid color.
Speaking of "giant blob(s) of solid colour"... You may want to decrease the whole [side texture of the carpets]'s shade by 1, 2, 3 or 4 palette indexes, to make it easier to see whether it's the top or side of a carpet you're looking at.

MORE THINGS ARE HAPPENING

Remember that old rainbow star?
old%20starman.png

It looked kinda bad, didn't it? You can say yes, I thought it did too!
new%20starman.png

Now it's beveled and stuff, just like Galaxy's. The plan is to give it 8 frames of rotation to make it spin while it's bouncing. whee this is going to be tedious

Also, I tried editing MotorRoach's Pokey into the New Super Mario Bros./Paper Mario: Sticker Star design.
pokey%20head.png

pokey%20body.png

His Pokey wasn't bad at all, I was just bored and edited it. If everyone seems to like MotorRoach's better, I'll use his.

Speaking of "giant blob(s) of solid colour"... You may want to decrease the whole [side texture of the carpets]'s shade by 1, 2, 3 or 4 palette indexes, to make it easier to see whether it's the top or side of a carpet you're looking at.

Perhaps when I get an early version of this ready, you can take a look in-game and see if this is still an issue.

Last edited:
MORE THINGS ARE HAPPENING

Remember that old rainbow star?
old%20starman.png

It looked kinda bad, didn't it? You can say yes, I thought it did too!
new%20starman.png

Now it's beveled and stuff, just like Galaxy's. The plan is to give it 8 frames of rotation to make it spin while it's bouncing. whee this is going to be tedious
Well, it certainly looks gorgeous to me. Even more than before. The only thing I can complain about are the really jaggy edges on the tops of the top side spikes, but that's mostly due to it being a sprite with only on/off alpha, nothing can be done about that.

Perhaps when I get an early version of this ready, you can take a look in-game and see if this is still an issue.
(To people reading this out of context, he was replying to the carpet's shading on the sides being the same as on top.)
I guess so. It might look better in 1366x768 OpenGL mode than 426x240 software gif mode. But at least for the staircase in the middle going upstairs-ish, the sides of the carpet is darker than the top in the actual Super Mario 64.

So here's a download link to the most recent version. No maps are included, just the script and sprites. After some playtesting in multiplayer with two other people, I can say that this isn't very well suited for netgames at the moment. It's mostly framerate issues that I hope I can resolve later on. If you want the optimal experience, play Single Player in a rather small map (NOT AGZ or ATZ) or play with only two people.

As of now, Sonic runs a bit faster, Tails has a jump boost at any speed, and Knuckles is just... nothing special (yet.) Hold Custom Button 1 to run. If you need a power-up, either spawn them in with objectplace (mapthingnums are 2200 and 2202) or "powerup <fireflower/starman/none>" in the console. (NOTE: Starman lasts indefinitely when given through the console.)

Be sure to tell me what you think after playing it!

Well, it certainly looks gorgeous to me. Even more than before. The only thing I can complain about are the really jaggy edges on the tops of the top side spikes, but that's mostly due to it being a sprite with only on/off alpha, nothing can be done about that.

I could maybe anti-alias those edges a bit, and make them look better. I'm done editing for tonight, though.

Last edited:
Since it doesn't seem like the Spin button is used for anything in this mod, why not just map running to Spin and leave the custom buttons free?

Since it doesn't seem like the Spin button is used for anything in this mod, why not just map running to Spin and leave the custom buttons free?

I've thought about doing that recently, and asked the people I playtested with if they thought it should be mapped to spin. Both of them seemed accustomed to using Custom 1 by the time I shut down the server that I guess it'll stick for now. I could always make Spin AND Custom 1 run, though... I'll have to try that.

You're improving with every post! ^-^
Just a few things from me. The stars is lacking in depth. It's kind of like a star that you cut out of a paper. It's lacking that 3D bump. The main cause of this is because the dark shades aren't present enough. Use this for reference. See how the darker shade has more presence and makes the star pop out more?
As for the pokey. I like what you did with it. The increased spike size makes it more menacing and painful to touch. The only issue that I see currently is the spike perspective. It's hard for me to describe how to fix it so I'll just kinda cheat my way. Get some kind of cone like object (ex. ice cream cone) and put it on a sphere/ball (ex. basket ball). Look at how the cone looks like from your perspective and move the cone around if you want a different position and stuff.

You're improving with every post! ^-^
Just a few things from me. The stars is lacking in depth. It's kind of like a star that you cut out of a paper. It's lacking that 3D bump. The main cause of this is because the dark shades aren't present enough. Use this for reference. See how the darker shade has more presence and makes the star pop out more?
As for the pokey. I like what you did with it. The increased spike size makes it more menacing and painful to touch. The only issue that I see currently is the spike perspective. It's hard for me to describe how to fix it so I'll just kinda cheat my way. Get some kind of cone like object (ex. ice cream cone) and put it on a sphere/ball (ex. basket ball). Look at how the cone looks like from your perspective and move the cone around if you want a different position and stuff.

I see what you mean here, with the Pokey. The "middle" spikes look like they're pointing too far outward, right? I actually need to fix these sometime tomorrow (Too late tonight, heading to bed.) As for the Starman, it's actually modeled after the Rainbow Star from Super Mario Galaxy. It was mostly flat (shown here), however I think I could bevel it a bit more on the edges. Thanks for the tips, though!

Last edited:
I just tested this and it is looking good.
Will you be adding gameplay mechanics like;
  • Tanooki Power Up
  • Standard Mushroom
  • 1-up Mushroom
  • Mega Mushroom
  • Size system(start as small and grow when you get a mushroom and shrink when hit)
  • Various Super Mario Bros. 3 Power Ups
  • Ducking and crawling

I could maybe anti-alias those edges a bit, and make them look better. I'm done editing for tonight, though.
...How can you anti-alias on/off alpha edges? If you're talking about making it have far darker shades around the edges of the edges, don't, that just looks horrible (in my opinion).

And now I play-tested it. It looks really pretty when you stand completely still while invincible in OpenGL. Now for two suggestions and two bugs and such.

One thing you could do for the powerup console command would be to check for arg2. If it's nil, do nothing different than what it does now. If it's a number, and arg1 is starman, multiply arg2 by ticrate, and set that as the variable for pw_invincibility.

And would it somehow be possible to check for if the current gamemode is co-op or singleplayer, and then make it so if invincible and touching someone not invincible/with less invincible time left than oneself, give said player the same amount of invincibility as oneself has, just like picking up people in New Super Mario Bros. Wii?

Also, it seems you have your player colour (for example blue) when super. Speaking of super, if super and invincible, only the player itself is rainbowy, the after-images are still yellow/orange/pink (I only tested with Sonic).

...How can you anti-alias on/off alpha edges? If you're talking about making it have far darker shades around the edges of the edges, don't, that just looks horrible (in my opinion).

And now I play-tested it. It looks really pretty when you stand completely still while invincible in OpenGL. Now for two suggestions and two bugs and such.

One thing you could do for the powerup console command would be to check for arg2. If it's nil, do nothing different than what it does now. If it's a number, and arg1 is starman, multiply arg2 by ticrate, and set that as the variable for pw_invincibility.

And would it somehow be possible to check for if the current gamemode is co-op or singleplayer, and then make it so if invincible and touching someone not invincible/with less invincible time left than oneself, give said player the same amount of invincibility as oneself has, just like picking up people in New Super Mario Bros. Wii?

Also, it seems you have your player colour (for example blue) when super. Speaking of super, if super and invincible, only the player itself is rainbowy, the after-images are still yellow/orange/pink (I only tested with Sonic).

Those are both good ideas! I'll have to try them. Also, just fixed the super color.

• Tanooki Power Up
  • 1-up Mushroom
  • Mega Mushroom
  • Ducking and crawling

I did think of these, actually. At least, I've already started work on the Super Leaf. My idea is to make it turn the player rosewood (instead of white like fireflower) and have a tail object follow them (not sure how well this would work, but I'll give it a shot). As for the 1up and Mega Mushroom, they don't seem too complicated at all (though I'll have to wait until 2.1.9 for the latter due to S_ChangeMusic affecting everyone). Only thing I don't know about is the ducking part... I've thought this through, and I've come up with the following issues:
  • How do I change the player's height?
  • How do I prevent the player from running around while crouching, yet let them slide to a stop smoothly (to slide under blocks and stuff)?
  • What if I can't add custom frames for Tails and Knuckles?
Plus, I'd have to sprite all of it for each character... yikes. As I'm still rather inexperienced when it comes to spriting, I'll probably hold off on this idea for a while.

damn this turned into a wall of text

Last edited:
Well, as a place holder you can have the characters roll a short distance on command, something like maybe Smash Bros' dodging technique...

• How do I change the player's height?

As of 2.1.8, you can't, at least not manually. You can force the player into a spin to let them fit through narrower spaces, but that also makes them damaging to enemies, which doesn't make a lot of sense for crouching.

Not much here, but at least there's something!

ML26exC.png

• Skewers: Basically these should act exactly as they did in the NSMB series. Not solid, but they will damage you if you touch them! (If you're a sadist, you can make them solid and crush people!)
  • Spikes: Not particularly liking how these turned out (will most likely change them a lot) but these were based on the Super Mario World ones. I was going to make a falling variant but didn't get around to it.
  • ? Blocks: These have been changed up a bit to look nicer overall ha i accidentally made a pun get it because mario wearsAnyways, these have colored variants so you can stick them in underground/castle/volcano levels without them looking ugly and out of place.
  • that other thing: A grate so I can stick it in a warp pipe to keep people from entering.

My plan is to release all of my textures as an asset pack so others can use them in their Mario maps. I'm currently not sure if the script will be for use in my own mod (should I ever get around to making it, that is) or also for public use.

Also, thanks to 2.1.9 and its player-specific sounds and music, Mega Mushrooms are now a possibility. I'll just have to figure out how to keep the player from growing in an area too small and crushing himself. I'm going to hold off on it however, since I don't want to have to sprite too many things at one time (I still have to revise the edited Pokey, and some other things).

EDIT: Also going to make that grate twice as small (It looks huge, and more like that net texture in RVZ/ERZ2)

Last edited:
The skewers and the blocks are awesome. I personally just think the yellow block would look better using gold rather than yellow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back