How to make water?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocky

Kay
Guys, another question because it appears that i am improving and now i need to know how to make water.

Please, guys help me.

Oh, ok. Thanks, Torgo

Edit:What the...? It still don't work. And I did everything as instructed.

I just want to make a LAKE. And still didn't work. What I did was substitute the textures for those I wanted and it didn't work. The water didn't even showed up.

Stop looking at the numbers for the linedefs and just pic the linedef manually. It's as simple as setting up a FOF.

Torgo, yes I have.

I just want to make a Damn lake and the FoF doesn't work and when I test it, it appears the hole for the water, but It doesn't appear The WATER.

Please, help me.

If I remember correctly, there was another topic asking same question: "How to make water", but I don't remember where it was.

Well, let me explain briefly how to make water:

1) Make a pit. Draw a sector and give it a depth; 64 fracunits deep is enough. And set a texture for the cliffs.

water01.jpg

2) Make a control sector. Control sector is a little sector you draw outside the map. It applies effects to the sectors in the map. A little triangle is enough.

water02.jpg

3) Choose the water dimensions and appearance. First, set "Sector Mode" on. Now double-click the control sector.

Give it a water surface height by setting its ceiling height, -8 is good; and a water bottom height by setting its floor height, set a value deeper than lake bottom height; -96 would be good (unless you want a weird effect of water surface hovering on the lake bottom).

(Note: I gave these heights because I know the floor height around is zero)

Give the control sector water flats (flas are floor textures). Recommendation: BWATER01.

Now click OK.

water03.jpg

3) Choose the water effects. First, set "Lines Mode" on. Now double-click a control sector's linedef.

In Properties Tab, click on "Select Action...". In FOF category, choose "Water, Translucent, No sides (123)". Click OK.

Back in Properties Tab, give it a Sector Tag number. Then, click on "Next unused", it'll search the next tag number after the last one you used. As it's your first time you're setting a control sector in your map, then the sector tag number would be "1".

What is the sector tag number for?

Sector tag number is a link between the control sector and the sector that will receive the effect. Then, all sectors that have a tag number "1" will receive a water effect with control sector's dimensions.

water04.jpg

4) Applying effects of control sector to the pit sector. "Sector Mode" on. Double-click the pit sector and give it a tag number of 1.

water05.jpg

5) Test your map.

More about water: http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/Water_Design

Now, feed me a cookie.

Last edited:
Well, I learnt how to make water blocks, but how to make the grass around them? (Taller grass like in GFZ maps or Match maps)

Alright, Thanks guys, specially Ezer'Arch(and SpiritCrusher because I had a doubt about grass borders so Thank to you to) .

We should really put that tutorial on the wiki. It's much easier to understand than the previous one, it's more detailed AND it includes images.

I agree.

The tutorial of the Wiki doesn't include pictures and the description is less detailed than the Ezer'Arch tutorial he gave me right know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back