Exectuable Madness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamkis

Lua Grasshopper
Not sure if this is the best place for this, and sorry in advance if this is not a great thread, but here goes...

Don't know why, but suddenly, today, keyboard controls are no longer working on my desktop version of 2.1.14 srb2dd.exe for no reason. Keyboard controls work with other OS applications. I can use the mouse to select menu items, but can't use keyboard controls, despite having keys allocated in the game's controls menu. Also, a few months ago, 2.1.14 SRB2win.exe refuses to play sounds.

Today I put SRB2 onto my flashdrive to use at school. Oddly enough, the fresh install on the flashdrive of both executables work at on my PC; both have sound and the controls work! Attempting to copy the flashdrive's exe to the desktop location oddly enough does not fix anything.

WTF is happening? I noticed that regedit shows some registry settings for the x2 exes for the desktop copy, and some for the flashdrive, although it seems just like the registry keys are just strings for the exe names. Anybody else with similar problems and how they fixed it? I am good with computers (esp as a software engineer), but am dumbfounded

Last edited by a moderator:
For the sound issue with srb2win, it might be related to MIDI playback. For some inane reason, adjusting MIDI playback volume actually adjusts the overall volume slider for the game (though it only takes effect if a MIDI is actually playing). Try checking the EXE's volume slider in Windows' volume mixer?

As for the other issue, you might try removing your config.cfg (or moving it elsewhere) and letting the game regenerate it, since it doesn't happen on a fresh install. That said, that isn't an issue I've seen anyone else have, so if that doesn't work I don't know where the issue lies.

I tried a few things (including a fresh install IIRC), and SRB2DD can now register other keyboard keys again! Though, still can't SRB2win to do sound. Not only that, but hosting for me is now working again!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back