SOCK_Send Errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrimsonGodX

I would like to call attention to a paticular error I'm getting
when hosting a netgame. I am aware others get this error
every now and then, however it has become rampant with me.
Since I'm making plans on hosting 24/hour game servers, this
is more than just a little inconvenient.

The error is a:
SOCK_Send, error sending to node # (random ip) #10004: Unknown error
This seems to occur mainly under these conditions:
1. Somebody trying to join
2. Alot of people in one server at a time
3. During a download off the server
4. Randomly
5. Rarely I get this error on someone else's server

When I get the error at least once, it will happen over and over
ridiculously... However the rare chance it doesn't (during an ip reset), I won't get them for hours until it finally does happen.

What I'm asking is:
What causes it?
How do I fix it if possible?

Thanks in advance for your input.

I dunno, I get them pretty randomly, but not as frequently. (of course, I can't even host, so that's partly the reason. :\ )

Though, I do think I know the solution.

Do you use a laptop?

And if you do, does it the game freeze momentarily before giving you that error message?

It doesn't matter if you cross out your IP address, you know. It's still visible to moderators and administrators, and everyone can see it on IRC. And it's not like we're going to go and hunt you down and kill you if we know your IP.

Re: SRB2 Netgame Errors

CrimsonGodX said:
SOCK_Send, error sending to node 2 (69.107.221.170:5029) #10004: Unknown error
WSAEINTR 10004
Interrupted function call.
A blocking operation was interrupted by a call to WSACancelBlockingCall.

Some other WinSock program is using WSACancelBlockingCall to interrupt SRB2's WinSock operation

Alam, that's the thing. There ARE no other programs using port 5029 that I know of. It seems like SRB2 is trying to interrupt itself.

FoxBlitzz said:
Alam, that's the thing. There ARE no other programs using port 5029 that I know of. It seems like SRB2 is trying to interrupt itself.

Who said the other program is using port 5029?
this function WSACancelBlockingCall can/will/do interrupt other Winsock blocking oprations.

How do you find which program is causing this? Recently I've been getting unknown SOCK errors whenever trying to get online.

69.107.221.170 Port 5029

You shouid hide your IP in a better way.

FoxBlitzz said:
It doesn't matter if you cross out your IP address, you know. It's still visible to moderators and administrators, and everyone can see it on IRC. And it's not like we're going to go and hunt you down and kill you if we know your IP.
Ok, first off this is not my IP...
That's the thing, it appears to be random IP's of people trying to
connect to my server.
In addition, the reason I crossed it out was to "protect" that
paticular person's IP. I also know that one red line hardly helps,
but I thought it was kinda funny.
P.S. I change my IP everyday, so it wouldn't matter anyway.
Blue Warrior said:
I dunno, I get them pretty randomly, but not as frequently. (of course, I can't even host, so that's partly the reason. :\ )

Though, I do think I know the solution.

Do you use a laptop?

And if you do, does it the game freeze momentarily before giving you that error message?
Oddly enough, I don't use a laptop.
However, this version Windows XP is supposedly meant for laptops...
And yes, it does freeze momentarily before the error.
If you could shine any light on the problem, it would be much appreciated.

Well, the reason I ask is because I use a laptop that often slows its own LAN connection from my router. So whenever I go onto a netgame, it shuts down and gives me an "Unknown Error" message.

Fortunately, I have a "Wireless LAN" button right in front of my laptop. Whenever my game freezes, I quickly turn it off and back on. It resets its connection and goes back up to full speed.

If you have any sort of LAN button that you can use to reconnect, maybe that'll solve the problem. I'm not sure if that's the case, though; it doesn't seem too common to other computers, the way I see it.

I was just going to ignore this since it appears to be something
I can't handle with my current knowledge... but it appears the problem has become even more serious.
Now instead of getting SOCK_Send errors, my computer shuts down!
NO BSOD, no error message, not even a reboot!
My computer simply shuts itself off.
It couldn't possibly be an overheating issue or a virus. It has to be some sort of problems with settings or hardware conflicts. It could also be my router or firewall. If somebody could break this down for me it would be
greatly appreciated. This is getting serious!

***UPDATE- Ok, believe it or not... it got worse. :(
I just hosted a SRB2 netgame and the computer shut down instead of
getting a SOCK_Send and upon rebooting...
I get this Generic Host Process for Win32 effecting ModName: unknown and browser.dll! WTF? And if that wasn't bad enough, my sound drivers have become corrupted (no sound) and the desktop settings have reverted back to Windows 98 style... I also can't access Windows firewall due to an "unknown" error. I need some real help here!

Could I have been hijacked via SRB2?

it seems you are being hit by an internet worm, have you updated Windows?

Logan_GBA said:
it seems you are being hit by an internet worm, have you updated Windows?
I keep everything up-to-date.
I have all Windows updates current.
I run all bot/malware/virus/spyware checks.
I use registry cleaning utilities.
If it IS a worm or a virus... it hasn't been discovered.

Any other computers or laptops in your house that use the same connection as the one you're using? If you can, maybe you should try hosting SRB2 on one and see if you can up with the same results... or not, seeing what may result from that. <_<;

Besides that, only thing I can think of is to backup all the files you need on your computer and start a fresh new memory.

***Update
Ok, I ran Windows in Safe Mode and messed with a few things.
My computer is running normal again, but by no means will
that fix my SOCK_Send errors. The only other computer on
my network is my dads... and I don't even wanna touch that thing!

FoxBlitzz said:

Exactly... I tried to Run 2 netgames once... One was a Dedicated or an SPmoves netgame and one was a Public Netgame (where I AM in game)

Right when I hosted the Public netgame (after setting the dedicated one up), I got a SOCK_Send error... So You would be running 2 netgames of srb2, which is impossible...

This must be your problem CrimsonGodX...
There are no other programs that should be running through your 5029 port...

Flame_the_hedgehog said:
FoxBlitzz said:

Exactly... I tried to Run 2 netgames once... One was a Dedicated or an SPmoves netgame and one was a Public Netgame (where I AM in game)

Right when I hosted the Public netgame (after setting the dedicated one up), I got a SOCK_Send error... So You would be running 2 netgames of srb2, which is impossible...

This must be your problem CrimsonGodX...
There are no other programs that should be running through your 5029 port...

Well... I'm not.
If it were impossible how could I do it? :eek:
Even if it were possible, I wounld't see the need to anyway.

True Hyper Sonic said:
Without trouble, just buy another computer! :mrgreen: Im just kidding. You got a virus. Simple.

I don't have a virus... Unless, it hasn't been discovered.
I run many different virus/malware/spy type utilities.
But, that aside... I'm getting really frustrated.

***Update: Now, I don't get SOCK_Sends... the minute I host a game
my compter shuts off. What could possibly authorize a shutdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back