Have a few questions to ask before my first map is released.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWP (SRB2)

I got a few questions and more later, but here are a few that relate to my first level.

My first level is close to completion so I have a few questions.

A: How do I link two level together, like adding a second act to a level and putting it on the same wad?
B: How do I upload it from doom builder so I can play it with the launcher, and allow you guys to access it?
C: Where do I upload the file?
D: Added: Before release, how do I change the name of the level, and in case of any problems, get rid of the 1,2, or 3 in the title card.

Another question.

My version of doom builder doesn't seem to allow me to make 3D-Blocks despite following the tutorial any advice? For my future levels.

If anyone could help, it would be appreciated. (Edited)

I'd suggest you get SRB2 Doom Builder.
It's Doom Builder edited to include features particularly useful to SRB2.
http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/s0569864/

A: How do I link two level together, like adding a second act to a level and putting it on the same wad?
In SRB2 Doom Builder, open the Edit menu, and go to 'Map options'.
The part where it says 'Map name', there's the box that says 'MAP01', right? Make one level MAP01, and the other MAP02.
Then, using SRB2DB's 'Save Map Into...' option (Under the 'File' menu), save one map into the other map's wad.

B: How do I upload it from doom builder so I can play it with the launcher, and allow you guys to access it?
Maps are always saved as .wad files. These can be loaded and played with the launcher as-is, normally.
To share them with others, you must upload the file to the internet. There are a number of free file-hosting services. I typically use Sendspace. But sendspace links don't last very long if I recall correctly. And I can't remember any other services, so someone will probably go 'Eww. Sendspace.' and suggest something else.

C: Where do I upload the file?
See B:.

D: Added: Before release, how do I change the name of the level, and in case of any problems, get rid of the 1,2, or 3 in the title card.
SRB2DB has a feature in 'Tools' to create and edit the MAINCFG lump in a wad.
The MAINCFG lump is where you put your map header information. Map headers dictate the level's name, gametype, act, music, sky and such.
You can learn about map headers here. http://srb2wiki.sepwich.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

Hope that helps.

Problem.

I go to edit the MAINCFG which is now in scripts in my version, and I get an error, and doom builder closes out.

BlueZero4 said:
Actual error, please.

That was the error, it also when I go to load the wad, says that the wad is not registered or not found despite it being with the other wads, also it won't let me edit the MAINCFG file on doom builder cause it says it's missing something. Edit: Also what is XWE?

Thanks.

Edit: Another question how do you edit level headers in XWE?

Edit 2: Error message when I go to edit the MAINCFG Lump. In doom builder.

Lumpeditingerrorindoombuilder.jpg

Use SRB2 Builder. It's more family-friendly than Doom Builder.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't see the SRB2 there. Hmm... Get a text file and name it MAINCFG.lmp and import it into the map file with XWE?

Your filename has spaces. KILL THEM! *shot*

Seriously, filenames can't have spaces for SRB2 to run them.

I'll try it. But it does run when I test it though.

Edit: Still won't work, and fixed errors, also when I hit 1 starpost they all get hit for some reason, why is this?

Edit 2: I still can't figure out how to edit the level header or figure out how to load the level into srb2 with the launcher as opposed to playing it in doom builder, also all of the problems that were mentioned above in this post are still there too.

All your starposts must have different flag values. Know those checkboxes for the things such as Easy, Medium, etc? Those set certain flag values. Each checkpoint you place must have a progressively large number than the last one (EG. first checkpoint is flag 0, second checkpoint is flag 1, etc.). This tells the game what order the checkpoints go in, so that it will activate the previous ones accordingly.

Also, I would suggest that you do your MAINCFG lump through XWE. Go and get the latest XWE beta from the XWE website. With it, under Entry, select New. Then, name your new lump MAINCFG. Make sure it's at the top by pressing Ctrl + U while the new lump is selected. Then, using the information that can be found here, add the appropriate map definitions to the map of your choice.

SWP (SRB2) said:
When I hit 1 starpost they all get hit for some reason, why is this?

You have to give them all tags in ascending order. 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, and such. It can go up to 31, giving you a total of 32 unique starposts. Just don't try to give them a Z offset.

To fix the cmcs21.ocx problem, run this from the command line, or from Start/Run.

Code:
regsvr32 cmcs21.ocx

You need administrator privileges, though. The fact that you're getting this error in the first place seems to suggest that you might not.

Another question do all errors in your map have to be fixed in order for the map to run, because my thok barrier sector when I put it in creates an error that says it's not closed, like in areas that were formally empty space, also is there a way to set the texture default from a fall, cause after when I install the thok barrier it sets almost every lines texture to afall1, can I change it to GFZROCK?

To my knowledge, SRB2 Builder doesn't cope with deafaults very well.

And just a heads up, but this isn't the most userfriendly piece of software in the world.

SWP (SRB2) said:
Another question do all errors in your map have to be fixed in order for the map to run, because my thok barrier sector when I put it in creates an error that says it's not closed, like in areas that were formally empty space, also is there a way to set the texture default from a fall, cause after when I install the thok barrier it sets almost every lines texture to afall1, can I change it to GFZROCK?

Unfortunately you have to draw the sectors INSIDE the barrier. PM me the map and I'll do it for you with all the textures fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back