SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Off-Topic > General Discussion

Old 08-22-2016   #1
SANICBOOM644
Blue Hedgehog Acceleration

Default SA City?

I was reading the wiki article for SRB2JTE and I saw a map called SA City. The article stated that the map was controversial. Could somebody who played it like to explain why?
SANICBOOM644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016   #2
Xkower8181

I think it's that in 1.09.4 days everything we have today in casual room was banned on the default master server but this map was purely for hangsout and roleplays which explained before were banned and had no gameplay value (besides maybe match) and controversy started.
Old 08-25-2016   #3
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

The master server at the time only had one room (no casual/competitive dividers), and the community on the master server was split between people using their server as a glorified hang-out and roleplay channel, and people wanting to actually play the game. It was difficult to find a net game that was legitimate, and SA City was among the maps that were being used for non-gameplay purposes.

SA City was conducive for hang-out and roleplay since there were no hazards inside the map and it was fairly large and wide open. That's also why nobody else likes it. It's basically an expanse of nothingness, with completely barren fields that offer nothing to do -- no rings to collect, no obstacles to avoid, few activities or gimmicks or anything. The one redeeming thing that can be said about the map is that it is, in fact, a city, and so the map is fairly big and easy to get lost in... not that it matters, since the bare-bones architecture makes exploring those areas really unappealing anyway.

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff

Last edited by CobaltBW; 08-25-2016 at 03:43 AM.
CobaltBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016   #4
SANICBOOM644
Blue Hedgehog Acceleration

Wow really interesting thank you for your info
SANICBOOM644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016   #5
KobaBeach
crash bandicoo prengant,

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobaltBW View Post
SA City was conducive for hang-out and roleplay since there were no hazards inside the map and it was fairly large and wide open. That's also why nobody else likes it. It's basically an expanse of nothingness, with completely barren fields that offer nothing to do -- no rings to collect, no obstacles to avoid, few activities or gimmicks or anything. The one redeeming thing that can be said about the map is that it is, in fact, a city, and so the map is fairly big and easy to get lost in... not that it matters, since the bare-bones architecture makes exploring those areas really unappealing anyway.
JTE planned stuff like a shop system for SA City, but it was never finished. It was really only designed for roleplaying.

On a related note, a mode similar to MMORPGs, notably SEGA's Phantasy Star Online, was also planned, under the name of SRB2 Universe. That too got canned.
Old 08-26-2016   #6
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood

Going by this page at least... apparently SA City actually predates SRB2JTE to some extent, and it sounds like had a lot more content back in its original heyday? Huh.

That's an uppercase i, not a lowercase L, for the record. Also, it's pronounced "Yes-tin".

Last edited by Monster Iestyn; 08-26-2016 at 12:44 AM.
Monster Iestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016   #7
Bluesfire
Since 2006

I miss it, tbh. I loved playing on SA City. It was fun to just run around.

I like memes.

https://www.youtube.com/user/BluesfireTV/
Bluesfire is offline   Reply With Quote