SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > SRB2.org > News

Old 02-16-2016   #101
MetalKnux101
Iron Claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze The Cat View Post
All you really need are some objects and slopes to hide behind, or maybe a range of textures.
Maybe a skybox too.
MetalKnux101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016   #102
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaber View Post
how usable would quarter pipes be?
For falling onto them like in the GIF in the OP, it works pretty well. For anything else, however, they're inadequate. Using them the way classic Sonic uses them is right out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownlight View Post
What wizardry did you guys do to get slopes working in Software, anyway? Is there any chance similar wizardry might be able to one day increase the 35 FPS max?
There is a modification called "uncapped" that fakes this, but it comes with its own set of problems, specifically introducing control lag into single player. Doing it properly requires pretty much rewriting the entirety of the game's logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That2rb2DUDE View Post
Are some of the Match & CTF stages getting this to?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK.exe View Post
How about the devs focus on SP first so that is ready for release.
Multiplayer modes are not on the priority list at all right now. Hell, multiplayer hasn't even been tested at all in months. The dev's team's priority for 2.2 is the same as 2.1: creating the best single player experience we possibly can.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016   #103
Sapheros
Permanently Banned

But the devs ARE using co-op for testing as well, right? I love the new levels, but I don't want to get gimped by only triggered once sections of the level, especially since no one decided to change the trigger for music change to "each time" in ERZ3 before fighting Metal Sonic. (This is only my nitpick though)
Sapheros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016   #104
toaster
トースタちゃん

I'm only a recent addition to the team and have never seen an update shipped on the side the sausage is made, but to my knowledge the only MP testing (and this includes co-op as well) done is shortly before a release. It's definitely not been drilled into my workflow so far, anyways.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016   #105
MK.exe
The one and only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
creating the best single player experience we possibly can.
Alright, Singleplayer love is what i like to see! I hope to see something new from match in the end product :D

Last edited by MK.exe; 02-16-2016 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Can't spell
MK.exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016   #106
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duon the Adventurer View Post
But the devs ARE using co-op for testing as well, right?
I don't think we have tested Coop officially in over five years. Probably longer.

The game is predominantly a single player game. The vast majority of our users never play the game in multiplayer at all. We try to support multiplayer as much as possible in our level designs, but multiplayer is not the priority.
Old 02-17-2016   #107
MetalKnux101
Iron Claws

Is "Lat"s Tails revision being added to v2.2? The sprite work currently doesn't meet game standards, but I think it is definitely higher quality than vanillas current set of Tails sprites. Whoever the other guy was that was creating a Tails revision probably wont finish his anyway. If someone touched up "Lat"s set of Tails sprites, then we would have our Tails replacement there. Otherwise, I still think it qualifies the way it currently is due to the fact the current vanilla Tails is pretty bad, and it has more animations to boot.

http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=41110
Old 02-17-2016   #108
Larztard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalKnux101 View Post
Is "Lat"s Tails revision being added to v2.2? The sprite work currently doesn't meet game standards, but I think it is definitely higher quality than vanillas current set of Tails sprites. Whoever the other guy was that was creating a Tails revision probably wont finish his anyway. If someone touched up "Lat"s set of Tails sprites, then we would have our Tails replacement there. Otherwise, I still think it qualifies the way it currently is due to the fact the current vanilla Tails is pretty bad, and it has more animations to boot.

http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=41110
Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Nobody on the devteam's really said anything about Tails getting new sprites, so I figure it's probably wise to set the record straight.

Iceman404 was working on a version of Tails called Miles. Whilst he's not part of the devteam, at the time we were banking on this being the official new version of Tails. Unfortunately after two angles of the standing sprite were completed life hit Iceman like a car, so the project's basically been stalled for the past year and a half (and no, we're not sharing the angle that hasn't been shown off). MotorRoach is extremely busy with getting by as well, and hasn't been able to put much time into SRB2 characters since Fucking Sonic was completed. Whilst it would be nice for him to be able to finish what Iceman started, it's unlikely that life would let this happen any time soon. As for the other spriters on the devteam, they're intimidated by the scale of work a new version of Tails would require.

Then we get to Kilometers. Lat's put a lot of effort into this, but... we had a vote, and it was decided that we don't want to repeat 2.0's mediocre Sonic-edit Knuckles and sacrifice quality just because something's completed already. We're sticking with AJ's work until a proper replacement is complete.

Hopefully this will be a handy resource to point to whenever the question comes up again (inevitably, as it will) in the future.
Sorry fam. There is always 2.3.
Old 02-17-2016   #109
MetalKnux101
Iron Claws

What exactly is the logic behind that decision though? How would quality be sacrificed when they would just be replacing the current sprite set with one better, even if it's just slightly better?
Old 02-17-2016   #110
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

Because "better" is an opinion with sprite quality, and the overall opinion of the dev team is that AJ's old sprites are better.
Old 02-17-2016   #111
MotdSpork
Mafia? Zombies? Gold spork?

But isnt Kilometers literally an extension of AJ's work? I mean, it looks polished, and yet, like it's something new entirely.
MotdSpork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016   #112
Sapheros
Permanently Banned

And to add to this, Kilo has Sonic 3&K flying physics, wasn't this like a thought process at some point in the dev team? Tbh, I know Kilometers is a lost cause, but "something" from him would be a great improvement to SRB2's gameplay, whether it be the indication of your flight time ending, or the way the player can progressively fly, or how about that multi-grab beta within Kilometers? Something from him can count as an improvement for 2.2.
Sapheros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016   #113
MetalKnux101
Iron Claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
Because "better" is an opinion with sprite quality, and the overall opinion of the dev team is that AJ's old sprites are better.
From the most objective standpoint possible, TailsCD has fluent animations, more animations to begin with, cleaner sprites without stray pixels, and actually looks more like Tails. I think most fans of the game would prefer TailsCD as well. It is something to consider.
Old 02-17-2016   #114
fickleheart
ms reflec beat stan

Quote:
From the most objective standpoint possible
Quote:
opinions
That's not what objective means
Old 02-17-2016   #115
MetalKnux101
Iron Claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEnchilada View Post
That's not what objective means
I know, I said the most objective standpoint possible.
Old 02-17-2016   #116
TheDoctor

I personally prefer Lat's TailsCD over Aj's (even though I also love that tails), and I favour the idea of having TailsCD in 2.2. I really can't think of a reason why to not add him; looks better, plays better, and is more like the classics. What's not to love?
Old 02-17-2016   #117
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

Quote:
I know, I said the most objective standpoint possible.
No, you are completely missing the point. This is art. There IS no objective standpoint. There are only opinions. You can't have a "most objective standpoint" here. You like the art in Kilometers more than AJ's Tails. We do not. These are both opinions and we are both welcome to them. However, since we are the people who choose what goes into vanilla, our opinion is the one that matters in terms of what gets into 2.2.

Just because someone makes something remotely cool doesn't mean that it necessarily has the quality necessary and deserves to be in vanilla.
Old 02-17-2016   #118
Jimita

snip

Last edited by Jimita; 07-10-2016 at 09:17 PM.
Jimita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016   #119
742mph
My work is never done yet

Maybe I'm just too used to Tails' current flight physics, but I don't like the way Kilometers' flight handles at all. I don't think Tails should be able to gain so much speed so quickly just by letting go of Jump for a couple of seconds while flying. As he is now, Tails needs to build up speed on the ground before taking off if he wants to get some serious horizontal distance, but Kilometers' faster natural flight speed makes this technique less rewarding, thus robbing Tails' gameplay of some of its depth and making it, in a certain sense, less like the classic Sonic games, not to mention further widening the gap in usefulness between Tails and the other characters for players of moderate skill.
Old 02-17-2016   #120
MetalKnux101
Iron Claws

I think that TailsCD's new flight system is a good way to make Tails less useless against Sonic in competitive gametypes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster psychic cat View Post
you're asking for something that doesn't even have a decent coding to be in 2.2, you know how BAD can that be?
Couldn't be any worse than the netcode.