Mod game data in folders?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically, is it possible to do something like "GameData = Folder/Data.dat" in MainCfg? I seem to faintly remember having tried that a long time ago, without it working.

Edit: Also, is it possible to make characters have different maps? Like, I have a tiny map called "Loading", where the player spawns in an Exit sector, tagged with a Custom Exit linedef to make it not show the results screen.
The custom exit in my test directs to Map02, and in MainCfg I've inserted "ForceCharacter = Tails" on Map03, and Knuckles on Map02, but no matter which character one uses, one always goes to Map04.
And I can't have it possible to check for the character skin by checking the ability via one of those Sonic, Tails or Knuckles linedef (or sector?) stuffs, since what I'm working on will have different characters with the same ability.

Last edited:
You almost certainly cannot specify a folder for the game data, since it's not like the game even knows what folders you have in your directory other than the hard coded ones.

Forcecharacter is intended to be used for multiplayer to set everyone's character to a specific character, not path split. For instance, it's used in Mystic Realm to set everyone to Sonic in Prismatic Angel. The path split is done with the NoSonic/NoTails/NoKnuckles linedef options. Doing this for custom characters is not supported to the best of my knowledge.

This is where the 'no folders' thing gets me. From SRB2, I could add wads from a folder within the srb2 folder without error. For example, I could add a wad using srb2 from desktop/srb2/srb2.0/(wadfile) if my srb2 is in desktop/srb2.

Does this mean the game does know about folders in it's directory?

Although the game isn't designed to do that, you can, at least, change "Start in" field in shortcut properties to another folder to make the game look for data files (you have to copy them to that folder) and write configuration files, gamedata and other things there.
Or you can have a look at Mod Organizer. While it's desinged for use with Bethesda's games, it can actually work with any application. After the game creates the '<PWADnameofthemod>.dat' for a mod or gamedata.dat for the vanilla SRB2, you can just move them to a mod folder from "Overwrite" folder in that program. While Mod Organizer is somehow difficult to set up, it does what you want. : P

Last edited:
The game can read files from subdirectories just fine. It just doesn't store the location for future reference and it saves save data into root because it knows that root exists.

Although the game isn't designed to do that, you can, at least, change "Start in" field in shortcut properties to another folder to make the game look for data files (you have to copy them to that folder) and write configuration files, gamedata and other things there.
Or you can have a look at Mod Organizer. While it's desinged for use with Bethesda's games, it can actually work with any application. After the game creates the '<PWADnameofthemod>.dat' for a mod or gamedata.dat for the vanilla SRB2, you can just move them to a mod folder from "Overwrite" folder in that program. While Mod Organizer is somehow difficult to set up, it does what you want. : P
While it might do what I want, I meant for a mod I plan on making, so it'll have to do with saving in the root directory, it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back