The release of Super Mario Bros Z Episode 8!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably Shadow will go Big Damn Heroes and save everyone.
That, or Eggman will unleash Mecha Mario and try to take over the Doomship, sccidentally saving Mario in the process.

Anyway, that episode was awesome!
Now to wait more 16 months for the next one.

I remember a crappy Mario and Sonic movie series with lame fights, generic and boring plots, and too much randomness and stupidness.

...Oh wait, that's what this is.

Christ Luminous, what the heck do you enjoy?

Anyway, that Alvin Earthworm guy certaintly is talented animating sprites. His handdrawn artwork is kinda creepy though, and is too frequently seen in that very episode. I'd much rather prefer he stick with sprites.

Fire Sonic is totally awesome. And that Basilik dude is a pretty good Shredder knockoff. His ability to turn people into stone is anticlimatic, tho.

Last edited:
I loved it, Hilarious hotel Mario reference, and the fight scene was epic. Now we wait for SMBZ 9.

Yeah...I loved the part where Mario and the gang were zooming along the side of the Omega Doomship, cutting down everyone in their path.

I remember a crappy Mario and Sonic movie series with lame fights, generic and boring plots, and too much randomness and stupidness.

...Oh wait, that's what this is.

I agree with this guy. Honestly, sprite movies only take a lot of time, not a certain degree of skill(Although my hatred is caused by fanboys who hype).

Honestly, it isn't that bad of a series. I think he should work on the zoom-ins of the characters, half the time they look really out of place. I think Fire Sonic could've been more than a recolor of Super Sonic though. Lulz at the Hotel Mario reference also.

The 3D model looks weird without any texturing, and the mixing of pixel and vector-based artwork is kind of irksome. Besides that, this was entertaining as always.

Honestly I enjoyed it seeing as it was more than just typical sprites used this time. More animation showing his progress in his work. The battles did release a rush in your blood making you want more and he never fails to please.

Wormbatwarlord777 said:
Christ Luminous, what the heck do you enjoy?

People like what they like, and this isn't something that interest him. He even clearly explained his reasons...
Luminous said:
Not like it isn't true. I mean I like it, but only cause Im into mindless fighting, but that doesn't mean I JUST like fighting. I prefer originality myself.

Super Mario Bros. Z is rather meh, but the way he does the fight scenes is somewhat interesting.

I loved this episode, but alvin sure does have to fix his drawings, they seem kinda strange.
I wish I could make my own sprite series, all I would need is flash, after effects, and premiere.
Some people seem to just not like sprite movies.

I loved this episode, but alvin sure does have to fix his drawings, they seem kinda strange.
I wish I could make my own sprite series, all I would need is flash, after effects, and premiere.
Some people seem to just not like sprite movies.

Remember that it isn't always just sprite movies, it's the main plot in general, and the characters in use. A Mario/Sonic team up based movie is highly generic.

Honestly, sprite movies only take a lot of time, not a certain degree of skill.

This argument falls apart when you realize not only the sheer volume of custom sprites that Alvin makes for these, but how the quality of the animation has improved(and continues to improve) over the course of the series. Whenever you see well animated stuff that uses sprites, it's generally a stylistic choice, as opposed to being done because it's "easier".

That said, the fight scenes in this were pretty good as usual, and the special effects just keep on improving, but the wording in the dialogue wasn't so hot. I facepalmed when he tried to insert humor into Basilix's short speech about his motivation... it ruins what could have been an great monologue...not that we're likely to ever get one in SMBZ, mind you.

Good episode overall, however.

Last edited:
I thought it was too short and the 3D models could have been better. But it was great like the rest of the episodes.

And the Barrel Roll was epic.

I enjoyed the action as I do for every episode, but I think he's adding too much humor into the series; which makes it harder to take seriously in my opinion.

He's got the personalities for each character down fairly well though, they seem believable and they act like they would in canon games (Except for maybe Shadow, who seems darker than normal).

Just watched it yesterday evening, and here's my thing to say about it.

Pros

-Awesome fight scenes. Probally the most awesome since Ep 6.

-Fire Sonic was badass, I think it's a little bit intresting to see what "Power up forms" Sonic could use as well as the fire form. It'd be pretty cool to see someting like Racoon Sonic, or something related.

-The humor was pretty funny like always especially the references.

-Some of the custom sprites were pretty cool.

-Nice Cliffhanger, I'm eager to find out what happens, but we'll have to wait for Ep 9.

Cons

- The 3D Model Doomship (or what it's called) just didn't look fitting. I would of prefered the classic ship from SMB3.

- Most 3D drawings looked kind of strange. Though they wern't too bad.

- The episode felt quite short, after the point where Mario was in the last fight, I was expecting another 10 more minutes.

Overall a great episode, just need to touch up some bits and it'll be great. I think it's the best one since Ep 6 IMO.

Apparently, the reason it was so short is that Alvin originally was going to make Episode 8 and the future Episode 9 just one episode, but it was too long that way so he split it into two episodes. He created the ultimate in frustrating cliffhangers, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back