SC_Medpack (Previously known as SC_GMS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDoctor

This is a map pack containing three levels; Glyphic Canyon (not a port of the original), Manray Zone (an ice-snow type level. Dispite it looking like Frozen factory, using the music from Frozen factory, and having the trees from Sonic Lost World, and having a mach speed part, I highly assure you, this map was not based off of Frozen Factory), and a port of my very first map ever, yet not a port of the actual level; Splash Hill Zone.

Attachments

• srb20069.png
    srb20069.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 2,059
  • srb20070.png
    srb20070.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 2,291
  • srb20071.png
    srb20071.png
    64 KB · Views: 1,877
  • srb20072.png
    srb20072.png
    64.7 KB · Views: 1,839
  • srb20074.png
    srb20074.png
    45 KB · Views: 1,737
  • srb20075.png
    srb20075.png
    64 KB · Views: 1,590
  • srb20076.png
    srb20076.png
    36.9 KB · Views: 1,473
  • srb20077.png
    srb20077.png
    70 KB · Views: 1,665
  • srb20078.png
    srb20078.png
    103.3 KB · Views: 1,429
  • srb20087.png
    srb20087.png
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,542
  • srb20088.png
    srb20088.png
    112.9 KB · Views: 1,459
  • srb20090.png
    srb20090.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 1,490
  • srb20091.png
    srb20091.png
    59.7 KB · Views: 1,499
  • sc_medpack.zip
    12.2 MB · Views: 5,605
Last edited:
Good! I liked this, but I recommend you to add some lua scripting, so with Knux we do a mission and with any other one another mission. Also, add the Homing Attack and the Light Dash since some parts of the level need them.

Also, add the Homing Attack and the Light Dash since some parts of the level need them.

I just choosed Duon for the Homing Attack path, and used the modernsonic script for the other path :V
Guess from where I got the Duon char (?

I just choosed Duon for the Homing Attack path, and used the modernsonic script for the other path :V
Guess from where I got the Duon char (?
Gee, I'd like to know .-.

Anyways, this level pack is pretty decent, except the only way you can access them in co-op is though SRB2 Hub or through the console. (both are irritating to execute in the middle of co-op) I would suggest having them available for level select for co-op, just so it isn't such a pain.

Thanks for the positive feedback :)

@phantom I'll fix that slime trail in the next update.

@doun can you explain what you mean by this? You can normally enter the levels by simply starting a new save file or using the don't save thingy.

@TOGM95 well the reason why no light dash or homing attack stuff was included in the wad was so that individuals can have different experiences depending on what wads they added along side this wad. For example, adding green eyes can give the individual a different gaming experience in the same level by revealing different paths. (The same idea will be implemented in my new AT&T map pack project).

Last edited:
Thanks for the positive feedback :)

I'll fix that slime trail in the next update.

@doun can you explain what you mean by this? You can normally enter the levels by simply starting a new save file or using the don't save thingy.

He's talking about playing it online in Coop mode.

Haven't tried this yet, and I hope to tear it apart, but I already have a problem with this. Have a longish rant.

Well the reason why no light dash or homing attack stuff was included in the wad was so that individuals can have different experiences depending on what wads they added along side this wad. For example, adding green eyes can give the individual a different gaming experience in the same level by revealing different paths.

That is just plain stupid. Not the taking your own paths with a different character, but the 'you can't get the full experience without adding something else too oh and btw that enables cheat protection'. Why can't you just add a new character? You know, for convenience? Just imagine this; a new player comes by, picks up this wad, and finds those floating ring trails. He's confused, because he didn't read the thread and learn that he needs to also get another character. Just take SonicRE sprites or something, slap homing attack and light dash on it, and call it "Modern Sonic". It'd save everyone the trouble, with the added bonus of allowing yourself to plan out these extra paths with your specified stats, instead of attempting to balance the differentiating stats between characters so you have to balance all the paths for all of the characters that could potentially take that path! Let's not forget rebalancing it everytime a new character comes out that can take those paths.

At least, that's what a good designer should do, right? Make sure that the characters are all balanced?

You know what, I take that back, a good designer should just include the intended characters! It's not like they're DLC or something!

Last edited:
Gee, I'd like to know .-.

Anyways, this level pack is pretty decent, except the only way you can access them in co-op is though SRB2 Hub or through the console. (both are irritating to execute in the middle of co-op) I would suggest having them available for level select for co-op, just so it isn't such a pain.

1: I can enter to it normally, I don't know what happens to you :|
2: Guess who is inside this spoiler box!

92NY8.gif

A major problem with these levels is that a lot of the time, the enemies are facing AWAY from the player when they first come into the room. This wouldn't be so bad, but due to the limitations of the doom engine, they never actually do anything till they see you... Which they cant do, because you're on the other side of them. Not to mention that the music for Manray zone does not loop properly at all. I don't mind the lightdash/homing attack characters not being included so much (Not to say that I dont think its a bad idea, I just personally don't mind). I just added in a ported shadow wad to play with. Still, other than that, the levels seem fine. (Well, okay, Glyphic Canyon was kinda barren... Maybe put something on those floating platforms all around the level that you can jump to?)

I thought the levels were pretty good. Some questionable design choices for Glyphic Canyon. You could have done so much more with it especially with sky boxes. Also the sky for Glyphic Canyon and Splash Hill Zone are kinda odd looking but other than that, I enjoyed this wad.

Wow, this was actually pretty fun. Though, I do have some nitpicky stuff.
Take note that this is regarding Manray zone and Glyphic Canyon Zone. Splash Hill is excluded from this.
The visuals are very...boring. Not much is going on and it feels like, at the most time, a flat platform. There's no real challenge.
The idea for emerald hunt gimmick in Glyphic Canyon was interesting but was not properly executed. Might as well make a goal post at the end of the stage since that's pretty much what these emeralds serve as. If you're going to implement this kind of gimmick in a level, make it harder to find the emeralds rather then making them obviously there. It even feels tedious to pick up the emeralds since if you fall/die, you have to start collecting them all over again.
The Mach Speed segments were very interesting. Though, they were kind of boring/plain. The visuals in these segments were almost nonexistent and it was just a straight floor. These segments are too linear, same kind of flaw Sonic Unleashed had suffered with. I hope these gimmicks can be improved on in the future.

Now, these next few are strictly my own opinion. As in, I'm putting them in spoiler tags since these are images and stuff.
Review1.gif

Am I supposed to be able to do this? This is kind of awkward.
Review2.gif

This section is super annoying and tedious. I'd like to see it removed since all it does is slow the player down too much. It's also forced gimmicks and stuff. It just rustles my jimmies I guess.

@ sonic100000: well if I were a new player, I would stare upon these rings in wonder, and search the forums for a way to get passed it to get to the alternative path. Also, leaving the modern abilities out allow the player to first experience the first path, and then trying to figure out the alt. paths.
If it bothers you soo much though, I'll see if i could add some characters with modern abilities or something.

@agustin:
if you would have turned around after that homing attack alt. path, there is a spring to lead you to another alt. path that looks much more beautiful.

@lunar what do you suggest to be on the platforms? Also the enemies have actually all been placed in DB to specifically face where the player would enter from, so I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the enemies looking in the other direction.

@doun ooh, I think I know what I did wrong, should be fixed in the next update.

@larztard/lizard: I was thinking about making a skybox, but there isn't much that can be made for Glyphic Canyon's sky. Although I'll look into it, maybe I can make random g m outing temples or something.

@speedwagon (which my spell check calls "speedway on"):

I know what you mean about the visuals in Glyphic Canyon, seeing how that map was actually made long ago and was recently just fixed up and ported to 2.1, but I don't see anything boring in Manray's visuals. Can you explain how?

Well, as I said the Glyphic Canyon map was originally from my STH map pack, which would have for told the story of, you guessed it, STH, so I tried to make the level g save the same idea as in STH, where if you complete black dooms level (activate jewels), then you advance to the dark path. Or you can go to the goal and go the normal path. But since that map pack (including most of GC) has not been touched since 2.1.6, I lost interest in the pack and simply decided to port this one map over. Which also lead me to leaving the emerald gimmick in the level.

With the mach speed parts, maybe I can make it a bit more like the special stages I made not long before 2.1 came out. Those mach speed stages (excluding the first and half of the second) had quite a unique path system.

Gifs:
1.) Yep. It would actually be more awkward if you wouldn't, wouldn't you say? Also I blocked off that part in an earlier version, but then some of the FOFs wouldn't properly render, and when falling you would see large gaps in the ceiling.

2.) Two things about this part
A.) You need to improve on pushing things :p
B.) Yeah, even I find that part annoying and tedious. I put it there in the first place because there's always that one level that need to have an annoying part. It's a quite strange idea of mine. But I might change that entire ending though, I'm thinking about making half of that ice cave into a metallic base sort of thing and moving the snowballs to a secret f io or gimmick thing.

I put it there in the first place because there's always that one level that need to have an annoying part.

What. No, no, no, no, NO. This is an AWFUL idea. I have never got the point of people putting in segments or levels that arent fun at all. The main thing? Water levels. Nobody likes them, so why do people put them into their mods? Seriously, that design philosophy is NOT a good one. There is NO reason to have a part of your level that you KNOW is annoying.

What. No, no, no, no, NO. This is an AWFUL idea. I have never got the point of people putting in segments or levels that arent fun at all. The main thing? Water levels. Nobody likes them, so why do people put them into their mods? Seriously, that design philosophy is NOT a good one. There is NO reason to have a part of your level that you KNOW is annoying.
Actually, Why do they need water levels? The reason is to keep the mod ideas running, They can't make nature-like levels every single time, It would be BORING if he/she/them made nature levels to the final boss. however, could be hard if you was making water-themed levels.

Well, in a way the snowball pushing part does help prepare for the finale boss. Next time you are pushing a snowball just plag b the rocky theme.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back