Learning Lua & WAD making

Status
Not open for further replies.

76Nova

This may just be me being an idiot, but how does one go about learning Lua? (Keeping in my mind I have no experience coding or anything at all.)

The same story for wads, I have no experience but I'd love to learn how to make levels and such (no characters, since I'm awful with making sprites).

Sent from my XT1021 using ********

For starters, you might want to use SRB2 Doom Builder and its tutorial to get a feel of how level making works. You might want to check out Level Design 101, although it's best to improvise and figure out what works best by trial and error.

For Lua, you'd be good if you had some base knowledge in programming in general, however, even without that, you can access the wiki's Lua documentations as a good stepping stone, as they provide the possibilities of coding and then some. You can also use others' WADs as a reference point to understand how they work.(PREFERABLY without copying too much)

Thanks for the help, but after looking into It, I don't think Lua is for me. It's something I would need a mentor for.

To be fair, I was overwhelmed by lua (and still am sometimes) but it took me a year of experiments and experience to the point that I can add a small enhancement to a script. (A fair example could've been my force color lua (it just forced you to your character's main color in multiplayer in a very small time) which was sadly rejected for uselessness (cri))

Thanks for the help, but after looking into It, I don't think Lua is for me. It's something I would need a mentor for.

To be honest, I never really learnt Lua (or any scripting language) myself, and yet I can come up with somewhat decent stuff using it; it's not that hard once you take the time to read the others' scripts and the wiki to understand what they did to yourself be able to do it on your own later.
The link Zipper sent contains about everything you'd need to understand in a script, couldn't send you anything better to start off than this.

Thanks, I guess I'll make an attempt to learn something :D. Are there any particular scripts you recommend I look at first, or will anything do?

If you can try ANYTHING to start off with, do sound related scripts. This will teach you how to create custom variables and actions related to those variables

http://lua-users.org/wiki/TutorialDirectory

This is where I learned basic programming. Lua itself was rather simple, the difficult part was learning to apply it to the game. Now that the resources on the wiki are a lot better though, things should be easier to grasp. You can find an online Lua interpreter here which should let you experiment with the basic stuff. I started Lua a little over a year ago and it eased me into the process of learning more difficult languages. Give it a shot, it's really not that hard if you take things one step at a time.

Okay, cool :D. Thanks for all the help, hopefully I can make some decent wads. I look forward to actually creating things instead of wishing someone will make them for me [emoji14]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back