Is SEGA going to cancel Sonic the Hedgehog?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spiderpig said:
If Sonic got the boot do you know how much that might affect SRB2's popularity?

I know this was from a while ago but--

I personally think SRB2 would get more popular, just I would need to wait in my idiot shelter just in case.

(More on topic-ish)

People say Mario sticks with the same old storyline, and when has that failed him? He isn't godly in the storyline department, but game play I find is very addicting. Sonic on the other hand is put through way too many scenarios. "Look I'm in a book!" "Look I'm a WereHog!" "Look I got a shiny sword!" I mean really, it's orignal for a video game, but I lost count of all the cruddy T.V. shows that use that formula. What's next? Sonic gets shrunk? Sonic gets his brain switched with Amy's? I hope to GOD there is no VampHog / Frankenhog, or else I would have to commence beating myself over the head with a frying pan until I forget what a hedgehog is. People agree that Sonic is finally dragging himself out of a particularly deep gutter, but I'm not totally convinced. Show me the blueness we love in the fray and I'll begin buying newer tittles.

We should all invade the SEGA forums... O_O K. Nevermind. That would SO not work... I mean.... they must have some kind of administrator and probably a few mods but they will so not actually look there themselves.
But if we all get on there then.... Maybe we will get somewhere.... Nevermind. I'm not going anywhere.
I think a great problem is that they say they take fan input for upcoming games when nothing from the fans gets put in anyway.
I mean.... the NiGHTS community sent in an amazing presentation of what the whole of the only fanbase what was wanted, and they sort of just... let it go when specifically they said that the new game would be made for the fans. I would think that THEY would have the biggest chance for any input seeing as they even have a staff member on their forums.
I think Sonic or ANY old SEGA game will progressively get worse and probably never revert to what fans like. They'd be better off porting old games to new consoles like they did with SC5, NiGHTS and the adventure series...

You know what.... I'm gonna go look at what the SonicTeam forums look like..

EDIT: How would a Japanese BBS work out for you? XP

DarthJunior said:
Spiderpig said:
If Sonic got the boot do you know how much that might affect SRB2's popularity?

I know this was from a while ago but--

I personally think SRB2 would get more popular, just I would need to wait in my idiot shelter just in case.

(More on topic-ish)

People say Mario sticks with the same old storyline,

Wow, maybe you would stop saying Sonic sucks if you stopped comparing him with the biggest, greatest and more succesful franchise there ever was in the history of gaming.

There are alot other plataforming games and you have to compare to Mario?

Sonnarkku said:
Wow, maybe you would stop saying Sonic sucks if you stopped comparing him with the biggest, greatest and more succesful franchise there ever was in the history of gaming.

Here's hoping you never take the lead in the development of a game.

Chisuun said:
Sonnarkku said:

Here's hoping you never take the lead in the development of a game.

Let me guess, that post is related to big goals or something?, I also forgot to mention Mario has 9 years more than Sonic on the market.

Sonnarkku said:
Let me guess, that post is related to big goals or something?, I also forgot to mention Mario has 9 years more than Sonic on the market.
And Sonic gave Mario a serious run for his money back when he debuted and through Sonic 3 and Knuckles. If they ... well, stopped trying, I guess, since it seems they're trying TOO hard... they can be back in the same league as Mario.

Project Dark Fox said:
Sonnarkku said:
And Sonic gave Mario a serious run for his money back when he debuted and through Sonic 3 and Knuckles. If they ... well, stopped trying, I guess, since it seems they're trying TOO hard... they can be back in the same league as Mario.

But that was A LONG time ago, I don't hate new Sonic games like the 97% of the forum, but SEGA should realize that their games should be released for the Wii, that way, they could earn enough money to do the most awesome plataforming game ever and finally make the thraumatized people that plays the games shut up.

Sonnarkku said:

I recall an old survey in which more people world-wide knew who SONIC was, and had NO IDEA who MARIO was. This was probably late 90's, but still.

Anyway, Topic: Yes, Sega has been poisoning Sonic into his own death. I wouldn't necessarily call it "Canceling" him, because if you're canceling your MASCOT, I think you need your brain put through the washing machine.

To self-quote:

ZarroTsu said:
At the moment, Sega has a very simple system they want to use and abuse, and especially with the Sonic franchise, as it seems to be apparent.

This is to say, Sega and Sonic Team feels the need to depict a storyline with all sonic games, as of late; and tie in some form of gimmick to appeal to the younger audiences as to allow for new players to the sonic franchise. While this is not necessarily a bad thing, and you can sympathize for a few factors in this theory, they are going about it entirely the wrong way, and have forgotten what the name "Sonic the Hedgehog" truly stands for.

Now, in the case of new franchise characters, such as Shadow, or Rouge, these were only created as a character in the sonic universe, purely for the one, and only one story about Sonic's adventures. However, due to over hype and several posts on Sega/SonicTeam forums, I can only assume that it is because of the fans that Shadow and others have become developed as their own characters, resulting in them becoming reoccurant in large-title games, and star in games of their own. I think that largely, sonic team is just making-it-up-as-they-go-along, and this is rarely a good idea.

As of late, SonicTeam feels the need to pin some form of hindrance on Sonic purposely to slow him down, entirely so he can overcome it and return to his usual lifestyle. But the way SonicTeam is doing it...

If they are truly pinning Sonic with kid-friendly themes to attain a larger audience, why is it they feel the need to make these gimmicks so bad? Do we really want children of this generation to know sonic for being a werehog, swordsman, or "just some plot device"? Because it's clear to me this is all Sonic Team is teaching us.

Sonic is, and always has been, a "Free Spirit". His attitude is meant to depict that he "could care less either way", but "Will lend a helping hand if necessary". His fear of water is solely because it's in the way of freedom, and can only slow him down.

Lately, SonicTeam no longer even knows who sonic is. Lately, all they depict him as is "The spotlight hero", when clearly Sonic never wanted to be. If a problem needs his help, he will help. Lately, games don't even need him around to save the day; so why is he even around any more?

In the "good 'ol days", Sonic defeated Robutnik for kidnapping animals. He defeated Robutnik for Building an air ship and satellite. He Chased after Knuckles to retrieve the Chaos Emeralds because he didn't know who knuckles was, and the chaos emeralds were dangerous in the wrong hands. And finally, he defeated Robutnik for stealing the Master Emerald, and he destroyed the Death Egg to maintain world peace.

And as far as I'm concerned, this is all Sonic has ever done, and ever will do.

Sonnarkku said:
I don't hate new Sonic games like the 97% of the forum, but SEGA should realize that their games should be released for the Wii, that way, they could earn enough money to do the most awesome plataforming game ever and finally make the thraumatized people that plays the games shut up.

True. A wiser company would release these games on only one system, but we reached the day when more popular systems get more sales. In this case, the multiplatform effect comes in to increase chances of sales. But thats a horrible gamble which WILL make you lose more than gained. And obviously, Sega won't learn. Now about the last sectence you mentioned.....
Sonnarkku said:
they could earn enough money to do the most awesome plataforming game ever and finally make the thraumatized people that plays the games shut up.
If you read ZarroTsu's post already, you'll understand that we will not get that wish easily reguardless.

The main problem is that all of the great creators and workers for their games have gone on to other stuff e.g. SEGA's greatest heroes: Yuji Naka and Hirokazu Yasuhara!
But now he has gone, the games have decrepled to crap.

This whole thing... I am now in need of a serious explanation of why you say those games are bad, all of them and explained in a logic way, I will not accept "Sonic NextGen suck because of the glitches" I want you to say constructive criticism like "Sonic NextGen sucks because most of the glitches make you loose your rings, or even die, affecting your S rank" I will also not accept "Shadow's game is bad because he uses guns and don't fit the franchise", I want "The weapon system on Shadow the Hedgehog lacked aiming or sight, wich simply made the game harder, also, the bazooka system was too weak for being a bazooka".

Sonnarkku said:
This whole thing... I am now in need of a serious explanation of why you say those games are bad, all of them and explained in a logic way, I will not accept "Sonic NextGen suck because of the glitches" I want you to say constructive criticism like "Sonic NextGen sucks because most of the glitches make you loose your rings, or even die, affecting your S rank" I will also not accept "Shadow's game is bad because he uses guns and don't fit the franchise", I want "The weapon system on Shadow the Hedgehog lacked aiming or sight, wich simply made the game harder, also, the bazooka system was too weak for being a bazooka".

You... liked Shadow and 06?

Sonic isn't going to be thrown in SEGA's trash bin anytime soon.

Also, look up "Broken (fan)Base" on a few sites.

emblempride said:
Sonnarkku said:

You... liked Shadow and 06?

The only game I have disliked from Sonic on 3D is Unleashed on the PS2, so my awnser is yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back