July/August 2011 Voting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since bosses can't be put in Mario blocks how about putting in a THZ turret?It could be a good trap,though I wouldn't expect that from Bowser.....
YOU EXPLORED A LOT
YOU WIN A TURRET

Reviews

Single Player

Red House Zone by Ice - 2/10
The level looks more like a hangout wad. I mean, what's the point of putting a road to a house?

Pipe Towers Zone by Fawfulfan - 9/10
Very impressive Mario themed map. I'll have more to say later.

Aquatic Temple Zone by Kuba11 - 10/10
Very good map design, but I didn't like the gargoyle puzzles so much. Kuba11, I loved the level design. Keep them coming!

Sonic Dumbventure Volume 1: Donkey Kracken's Disasterous Quest [sic] by D00D64 - 3/10

Whoa, whoa, whoa. This level is way too kooky for me. Why am I fighting Donkey Kracken? (I noticed that his sprite was from the FIRST episode of Sonimoc.) And something else, don't some of the sprites and graphics (excluding some) belong to SonicX8000? Also, that Game Over graphic has scared the crap out of me. The corrupted Donkey Kong Land sky hurted my eyes slightly. (Off-topic: I own a cartridge that STILL works.) I'll say more.

Midnight Pass Zone Act 2 by KO.T.E. - 9/10
Pretty good map, decent colormap and visuals, and pretty good sprites. I had a little bit of trouble trying to beat this, but it's okay nonetheless.

Multiplayer

Siberian Base Zone by akb778 - 1/10
This map is clueless because there's nothing new in it. And another one of the overused ice-themed maps in SRB2. Seriously, when will people get over an overused theme and move on to something else? (This goes out to rookie designers.)

SemiRuin Forest Zone by Zipper - 1/10
It may be a forest, but I didn't see a piece of ruins in the level anywhere.

Splice Lab Zone by Fawfulfan - 5/10
This is Fawfulfan's second entry in the contest. It's a good map, but the corridors are cramped slightly, making it hard for players with rail rings to snipe others as they run down the hallway.

Storm Stronghold Zone by Spherallic/Errol/RedEnchilada/SpiritCrusher - 8/10
This is a very awesome map. I like the level layout and the slime fountains. The level could be the future of CEZ2 due to its castle-like design.

Jello Factory Zone by Charybdizs - 7/10
Very good interior design, but when I'm inside one of those "Jello" blocks, I can't even jump from one side to another! It feels like being fired out of a cannon really quickly.

Topanga Lifts Zone by Brawl - 2/10
While Tails and Knuckles players have an advantage here, Sonic players will have no choice but to ride the platforms next to the one in the middle of the area.

Rush Jungle Zone by Scizor300/KO.T.E/Simsmagic - 8/10
Not bad, not bad at all. But one problem. In the area where the river starts, the mini waterfall has a REDWALL texture applied to it. (The water block doesn't have it, but the little hole has it.)

CTF Stages:

Frantic Forest Zone by ThunderNova - 6/10
The level looks more like a U-turn instead of a forest. As players run back and forth to bases, there's a very high chance that they'll be attacked by anyone holding a Rail Ring.

Galactic Waterworks Zone by Spherallic - 9/10
Very impressive map. I even like the little water shortcuts used to get to bases faster. (An Elemental Shield is required. :P)

Molten Canyon Zone by akb778 - 5/10
The level looks like a take from Eruption Conduit from Tortured Planet. Tails and Knuckles players have an excellent advantage, but they need to watch out for Sonic players using Rail Rings.

Lethal Filibuster Zone by Fawfulfan - 3/10
I really didn't get the point of this map. A democratic and republican themed CTF arena? This is the first one I have ever saw. The only thing is that there isn't much Rail Rings used to easily snipe players skimming across the water.

Circuit Stage:

Girder Detour Zone by Fawfulfan - 7/10 (The only winner)
Very good construction work. At first, I thought the blipping arrow signs were custom textures, but not until I saw the appearing/disappearing FOFs on them. Another thing is that the level is Tails friendly because Sonic and Knuckles players will have to thok/glide over the pits in the rock.

Last edited:
Whoa, whoa, whoa. This level is way too kooky for me. Why am I fighting Donkey Kracken?

Because it's a video game? We arn't bound by reality all that much you know.

And something else, don't some of the sprites and graphics (excluding some) belong to SonicX8000?

Not by him, but some GFX were taken, either from 2.1 (which is going public eventually), that ring sprite (which was in Chaos Domain, but taken from SF94 serv, and I got permits to that ages ago), and a few other things (like the fireball sprite Iceman404 made), and a few rips from the games since the poor quality of giant pixelated sprites is part of the joke. The sprites for Sonic were made by Dr. Pepper with the spin sprites from Chrispy. Sprites were either used with permission, taken from someone who allows their work to be used by anyone (Dr Pepper, Chrispy), or from other video games, which the owners don't care about. So it's all good.

Also, that Game Over graphic has scared the crap out of me. The corrupted Donkey Kong Land sky hurted my eyes slightly. (Off-topic: I own a cartridge that STILL works.) I'll say more.

This, combined with your above words, dont seem to reflect a 0 at all, as it doesn't discuss much about the LEVEL at all. No mention of anything but the intentionally ugly Corrupted Donkey Kong Land, and only then, its about its sky. I find it hard to believe an animated sky (which in itself is quite the mapping achievement) and the presence of Donkey Kong's head on the body of a sea serphant is enough to warrant a 0, and I don't think your score is very sincere at all, especially since 0 implies it was completely unplayable or redeemable in any way, shape, or form. Given that you don't like me in the least, I can't help but think you are just using this 0 to try and annoy me, SuperChris. Your OLDC vote should not be represented by your own personal matters.

EDIT:

(I noticed that his sprite was from the FIRST episode of Sonimoc.)

And the first episode of SoniMoc was your video. I don't see much other reason to point that out, aside from your usual point-out-the-obvious behavior. Further proof that your 1 is clearly hate-driven, and not genuine.

Last edited:
Reviews

Sonic Dumbventure Volume 1: Donkey Kracken's Disasterous Quest [sic] by D00D64 - 1/10

Whoa, whoa, whoa. This level is way too kooky for me. Why am I fighting Donkey Kracken? (I noticed that his sprite was from the FIRST episode of Sonimoc.) And something else, don't some of the sprites and graphics (excluding some) belong to SonicX8000? Also, that Game Over graphic has scared the crap out of me. The corrupted Donkey Kong Land sky hurted my eyes slightly. (Off-topic: I own a cartridge that STILL works.) I'll say more.
So... you give him a 1 because he uses OTHER PEOPLE'S CONTENT. I'm pretty sure he asked for premission. Besides, what's the point of a community that shares wads and stuff if you can't use that?

Red House Zone by Ice - 2/10
The level looks more like a hangout wad. I mean, what's the point of putting a road to a house?

2 - Awful

:(

Can you give me more of a reason why my map was awful? Or at least make some sense? I don't have any idea what you're talking about with the road and the house.
Don't get me wrong, I don't mind negative reviews, but I simply don't understand what you're trying to say.

Some constructive feedback would be greatly appreciated! :)

SRB2PlayerFan said:
And something else, don't some of the sprites and graphics (excluding some) belong to SonicX8000?

I haven't seen any of my graphics in his level unless it's the Ring sprite, which I asked KOTE about it in Chaos Domain and recolored it other than that... that's all I can see about. *I'm pretty sure that some of the sprites in GraphicX8000v5 are sprite rips in a way, given if you can fit it in SRB2's palette and shape them. I mean look at the Chaos Emeralds and Item Box Bubbles... now where did we see those before?* "Yes, I finally spilled the beans for this one, durr..."
----------
Ok... enough with that... voting time... also seeing as multiple people wrote reviews for it, I won't repeat the same thing about it if it's already listed, so here are a few comments or something.

SINGLE PLAYER
Sonic Dumbventure Volume 1: Donkey Kracken's Disasterous Quest [sic] by D00D64 - 10/10
Well what to say here after everyone pointed out the stuff in their reviews. Neat stuff, secrets and... blah blah blah, it's already been said and nothing I put here will explain it better than theirs.

Also... took me awhile to find the Yellow Emerald in this, dang it...

By the way...
srb20006.png

Hi HOM.
-----
Red House Zone by Ice - 5/10
Ehh... didn't see much other than you mostly outside of the House and with this being called "Red House Zone" I figure you will be IN the house, or at least outside it before entering. *And I mean a short pathway to the house in a kind of way.

I also got the feeling that I played this map before somehow... question is though... what was it?
-----
Pipe Towers Zone by Fawfulfan - 8/10
Well... what do you know? A Decent Mario map but... there are a few nitpicks here and there, so I'll keep it short.

The Purple Mushrooms which you bounce on to find secrets are sometimes glitchy, like... I bounce on them, the sound plays, but I end up standing on it. I'm not sure if it's SRB2's fault or the way the FOF is set up for it, so meh.

The Underground area confused me somewhat as there were ways you though you were getting somewhere, but you end up making the wrong turn and end up going back to where you came from.

Overall... a good Mario Map in my opinion.
-----
Aquatic Temple by Kuba11 - 6/10
Hmm... it's underground and it's bright?

One room which if I recall locks you in if you push one of the Gargoyle Statues off it, and I couldn't seem to find a way out until the last second where I saw the opening, but I drowned before reaching one of the air bubbles in the exit. You MIGHT want to at least put a air bubble in the lock-down room in case players don't know where the exit is and you drown as soon as you find it.
-----
Midnight Pass Zone Act 2 by KO.T.E - 7/10
I... don't know what to say for this one other than the rising water at the end, which... I want first played this map. I just kept guessing that this was the one with the rising water.

Also...
srb20005.png

Giving that there's nothing preventing you from going back, you can get stuck here for for whatever reason you go back, although you forced to die by jumping into the wall of water once it rises...
----------

Did I miss any?

Last edited:
One room which if I recall locks you in if you push one of the Gargoyle Statues off it, and I couldn't seem to find a way out until the last second where I saw the opening, but I drowned before reaching one of the air bubbles in the exit. You MIGHT want to at least put a air bubble in the lock-down room in case players don't know where the exit is and you drown as soon as you find it.
I think that would take all the appeal out of the room and make it just another generic button pressing challenge. The trick is to realize that you're trapped without any air and need to react quickly. Unfortunately, many people assume bad faith/incompetence on the designer's part and give up. Maybe the room would have more of a chance to shine if it wasn't coupled with the rest of the already problematic gargoyle puzzle.

Oh, and SRB2PlayerFan: I hope for you that the promised additional explanations will follow soon, because right now the only way to describe your voting post is "stupid scores with bullshit reasonings and personal bias", and if they stay that way, I think they should be simply ignored in the final tally.

:(

Can you give me more of a reason why my map was awful? Or at least make some sense? I don't have any idea what you're talking about with the road and the house.
Don't get me wrong, I don't mind negative reviews, but I simply don't understand what you're trying to say.

Some constructive feedback would be greatly appreciated! :)

Personally, I enjoyed your map very much and I think your library is superior to that of 2.1's CEZ2. (However, it's still being worked on)

Last edited:
Thank you, I'll take the opportunity to munch you. Or rather, the two big fat zeros you gave. The latter (Topanga Lifts) looks like it was an isolated case on your end that could be fixed easily by playing the map once more. Giving it a 0 because the game happened to freeze on this particular map is unfair, especially since it didn't seem to happen for anyone else (and therefore wasn't the map's fault). The former (Storm Stronghold) makes a bit more sense, but I gotta wonder: Was the lag really so unbearably heavy (say, over 1000 ms) all the time and on every part of the map that you couldn't even move? Because that would be kinda alarming.

Thank you, I'll take the opportunity to munch you. Or rather, the two big fat zeros you gave. The latter (Topanga Lifts) looks like it was an isolated case on your end that could be fixed easily by playing the map once more. Giving it a 0 because the game happened to freeze on this particular map is unfair, especially since it didn't seem to happen for anyone else (and therefore wasn't the map's fault). The former (Storm Stronghold) makes a bit more sense, but I gotta wonder: Was the lag really so unbearably heavy (say, over 1000 ms) all the time and on every part of the map that you couldn't even move? Because that would be kinda alarming.

Yes, it was unfair. I played it once more and it happened again. I didn't bother to try it some more. And yes, the lag was heavy a lot, it was intense to just turn around, or even play the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back