SRB2 2.1 LUA script

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.V

Alright!
Well, I wanted to ask some things about that new function that I didn't see in other posts. I found interesting this function. I am reading all the messages below!

Is LUA script very difficult of learning? Will it be used in the new version in something? Or will it just be for wads?

Lua isn't an acronym, for one.

Yes, Lua scripting will be used in the new version, (2.1) but it will not need WADs to function. WADs and Lua will be entirely different, as I'll explain below:

WADs add content to the game, usually in the form of maps, music, sound, characters, textures, or whatever. WADs have no control over changing the way SRB2 works, they only add things to it.

Lua scripting (and most scripting in general) doesn't work the same way. Lua scripting specifically modifies SRB2's code, rather than just adding content to it, making it able to do lots of things that WADs wouldn't normally be able to do.

You should probably look here if you want to know how hard Lua is to learn, as well as just generally know more about it: http://www.lua.org/

Well, it seems that will have to study plenty if I want to learn, I don't only understand how it will be used in SRB2. I know, the wads increase maps, sounds, characters; but and if I wanted to know if I can use Lua in a Wad, as add a together script when I add the wad in the game. In SRB2 Wiki it will have tutoriais of how to learn Lua?

Last edited:
When 2.1 is released the SRB2 Wiki will most certainly need to have some form of documentation for Lua. I'll be making sure of this at the very least if noone else will.

As for your questions, yes, Lua scripts can be used in WADs themselves. But they can also be in seperate files of their own, so in a way they're similar to SOC lumps (except they're not).

As for what Jayoshi is saying about WADs though, that's not quite true. Existing objects's properties and states etc are obviously changable by SOC, and sprites, maps, sounds and music are easily replacable too. And then there's also all the "MAINCFG category" timers etc that can be modified. So basically SOC and the like can already change how SRB2 works, just not to a very large extent.

Last edited:
If I understood, Lua is separate, as well as a soc. Then if I wanted to add Lua with a wad, Moon would already have of to be ready and to be in the paste of SRB2 with the wad, and also to place some script type in MAINCFG for the wad to add Lua. Is that?

I thank from of already your providence for the goods in the wiki.

I already have here Lua in my pc, but I don't know how to move with those commands. (Lua - Command Line). Will we have some LuaEdit?

I already have here Lua in my pc, but I don't know how to move with those commands. (Lua - Command Line). Will we have some LuaEdit?

SRB2 will probably have the Lua interpreter built-in. You could, then, suffice with notepad or similar for writing your code. Notepad++ or similar might be a better idea to gain syntax highlighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back