Suggestions

An option so that modmakers can opt out of having a character select theme, instead keeping the title music playing.

D9WuEXw.gif

Every time I watch this, i feel more taunted by the perfection of that jump. But yeah, that's pretty much the only way I've done it.

I could see a second "action speed" for characters being mildly useful. For example...
Tails' flying ability could use speed A for flying up in air, and speed B for flying up in water.
Knuckles' gliding could use speed B for either how fast the glide speed increases, or how fast one climbs around on walls.
The homing thok could use speed A for normal thoks and speed B for homing thoks.
Slow fall could use speed A as the "target" falling speed, while speed B could set how quickly/slowly the player would reach that falling speed (meaning non-instant stops to the target falling speed would be possible), which could make the float ability no longer a separate thing (as a speed A of 0 and a speed B of infinite would cause instant full vertical stops, which is basically what the float ability does).
Telekinesis could use speed A for pushing players/enemies away and speed B for pulling them closer.
Jump boost could use speed B as a limit/cap on the max jump factor.
And both the air drill and the jump thok could use speed A for horizontal speed and speed B for vertical speed.
Though for custom characters that would be made with this stuff in mind, that could probably be faked with Lua in most cases, so I can see why this might not be that important to implement.

A skin flag to disable the spin jump animations would be nice. there is no way to disable that currently without disabling the spindash ability for the skin, or doing hacky stuff and recreating the spindash.

I would actually like to see this done as well. Just seems more intuitive to me, and you could do more unique things with the spin animation, like sliding or something without having to mess with lua to make it happen.

While holding TAB in a Multiplayer game, I think that the names of players that have completed the level should be highlighted a different color, which would make it easier for an owner or admin to decide if they should exitlevel. Additionally, I think that the amount of emerald tokens should be displayed in the bottom right when holding TAB, similar to how it was done in SUGOI and its sequel.

Last edited:
There should be a cap/limit to aiming up or down in Software renderer.
I think that, at least in firstperson, you can aim up to 90 degrees up/down in OpenGL mode, but only up to 80 degrees up/down in software mode, so there already is one. But of course, you saying that there should be a limit in the first place just "proves" that it's not enough of a limit... but how low can you set the limit without affecting shooting up/down in ringslinger gametypes too much?

There's no limit from what I've seen, looking straight down in First person modes simply ruins the view, which is why I'm suggesting one, at least for Software renderer and only in First-person modes, like how other Doom ports are doing it, not sure if the comparison is valid here though.

Last edited:
I don't see the point in removing it, It's not like the players are able to look up / down properly in Software renderer anyways :p

It was removed to allow you to fire straight up and down in match. Essentially, even if you can't see, there are times when you can know a player is directly below you and fire blind and get a hit.

How about removing the freeslot print for Lua?
It gets kind of annoying to have your console flooded in state / mobj allocation everytime you load a wad where there's a lot of those. (plus it can also hide errors from scripts loaded before those, forcing you to check your log)

The game shouldn't load files before checking whether a server accepts joins currently or not, It's annoying having to restart the game to look for another server just because some server loaded files you didn't need.

The non-golf mode-related linedef types from XSRB2, or at least some of them, allow for various new possibilities of different gimmicks, especially the color-based ones. While I think some of these actions can currently be accomplished with Lua, I imagine it would be good to have the option not to mess with scripts of any sort.

Additionally, the ceiling/floor comparison types could have versions that don't require triggering from the player, and instead just trigger a linedef whenever a ceiling or a floor matches a certain height (like existing types 403 and 404, but with continuously moving surfaces).

Please find a way to get rid of the wad limit (or have it be a more reasonable number).

It's currently ridiculously small without a reason (especially if multiple very small wads are added) forcing some hosts to combine things in "packs" (that do work, proof that the limit is arbitrary) that then mean players having to download things they might even already have.

And yes, multiple heavy luas can potentially slow a server down to a crawl but depending on number of lumps and optimization that can be a problem even with a single file so it's unrelated.

The .wad limit is enforced by a packet containing the names of all added .wads overrunning. Hilariously enough, you will get more .wads for your buck with files named a.wad, b.wad, etc... This limit would not be fun to raise. I therefore advise you to suggest to .wad creators to aim for shorter filenames, even if they are not memily so.

One thing we HAVE done is that in 2.2, the .wads that do not modify the game will not be sent in that packet. As a result, if you play with music/palette .wads, you will be able to get more in. The consequence is that it will not be added for the player on the other end, which may be a net negative if it's something like the music pack for SRB2 the past.

Hopefully this is an enlightening look into the game's interiors.

Pretty sure 2.1 already doesn't download such files. WAD files with just music or sounds etc are not considered "important", and so aren't (and shouldn't be) downloaded by the game for joiners.

It may have been just that the game was just dumb and included unimportant WADs' names there too?

I think toaster is saying that the "unimportant" wads will not add to the file count where as they did before, rather than saying that they're sent over in any way.

Well, there are two file limits. There's the netgame packet length limit, and there's a hard index of the number of files. Music .wads will still add to number two, but yes, they no longer contribute to number one.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Back