Shadow The Hedgehog

Legit Super transformations are technically still not allowed in 2.1.

SRB2 Wiki said:
SF_SUPER Determines if the character can turn Super in Single Player, cannot be set in S_SKIN. Only used by Sonic.

It requires a bit of Lua in order for a character to be able to turn Super by itself.

Going back on Shadow himself, I noticed he magically loses his finger when he's outside of the back rotation of his skating frames, that's not much of an issue, but it's kinda weird when you think about it.

Which is really stupid, if you ask me. "People are actively using this feature! Better remove it!"
I'm not sure you understand. Everyone used it, the option may as well have not existed and just always been on. There was even a Paper Mario wad that had a super form, for goodness sakes!

At the end of the day though, it was taken out as part of a broader reworking of how abilities are given to character wads, to get away from the "everything that makes you stronger in a checkbox" approach that led to Super Mystic Sonic's existence, and its imitators. At the time, the master server was flooded with such things to the detriment of being able to enjoy the game, so one of the goals of the character wad changes was to put a damper on that.

Needless to say, it worked.

Technically, you can add whatever feature you want now that Lua is in the game, including Super Forms. Removing a simple variable to easily set it doesn't change a thing for dedicated content creators.

In my case, sadly, I can't justify learning the language, so none of my own skins are decked out with awesome abilities. They're so boring compared to everyone else's characters for it, I might as well have not ported those awful old things over. You seriously need a little Lua to make something interesting now.

Still, I feel the game is better off in that direction, even if I can't follow in it. Less sandwich builder INI style variables, more scripts without the limitations I raged at with frustration in 1.09's days.

Wow. Just...Wow.

I've been playing this game since waaaay back when Knux was a miserable pile of pixels, so I've seen many "Shadow" wads pop up. Most of them have just been "Sonic with a homing attack", and the rare few with abilities often didn't work at all.

This?

This is amazing. It's got everything I would expect from Shadow. Ridiculous top speed, difficult handling since he's actually kinda flying over the ground, and a teleport skill that's both game-breakingly-fun, and also not totally broken. It's fun for pros because of the game-breaking top speed and fun tricks you can do with him, but also newbie friendly too with the teleport's ability to save your bacon if you goof up.

I haven't had a chance to try his super form yet, since my game is outright refusing to let me use super forms for anyone, for some mysterious reason, but just his base form is a ton of fun already.

Well done!

I'm not sure you understand. Everyone used it, the option may as well have not existed and just always been on. There was even a Paper Mario wad that had a super form, for goodness sakes!

Ugh, I remember those days. Paper mario wasn't the worst, IMO. I think Riku was the worst.

Seriously, that wad got worse with each update. Oh, a somewhat slow character with a simple double jump, neat, makes the game kinda challenging. Oh wait, now he's sonic-speed and has a totally ridiculous knuckles glide. Oh wait, now he's got a super form which literally just turns his pants silver so he can be even more broken. Whyyyyyy... ;_;

This removal of the "can go super" checkbox was a great move in the right direction. There are less new character wads now, but the ones that exist are much more fun and well-made.

This is a fantastic wad. The sprites are superb, and actually having a Shadow that doesn't play the same as Sonic is definitely a refreshing experience. Chaos Control didn't seem overpowered or underpowered, and to be honest it fit right in with the flow of the game. Easily one of my favourite 2.1 character wads.

Last edited:
ALL HAIL SHADOW! do you have a 2.2 spindash lua for 2.1? because there's a 2.2 drowning and spindash sprites in shadow.

This be the best character wad that ever played! I like how that Shadow instantly moves fast when you begin to move him around. The Super Shadow is freaking awesome. He moves very fast for standard character. I am glad to have found character wad there!

This is an awesome wad, but I'm having a major problem with it. For some reason, whenever I reach running speed as Shadow, it seems to sporadically switch between Sonic and Shadow running animations. I'm not using the most recent version of SRB2 because I'm on a Mac, but it's confusing me nonetheless because the mod seems to work fine otherwise. Could someone fix this, or at least figure out what's going on? If you need more information to help, please ask.

Shadow was built to be compatible with version 2.1.14. AFAIK there were few changes made in the Lua which makes it incompatible with older srb2 versions. So unless you update... Tough luck I guess. 8I

I'm getting a weird glitch when I start running, instead of running animation, some sprites appear replacing shadow until he stops running. One of the sprites that appear is Speedwagon's avatar. Is there a way to fix this?

This wad is AWESOME! If there are any future updates, I think this wad would be complete if chaos control was his custom 1 instead of part of his jumping mechanics. There are points on various map packs where I would much rather press 1 to use chaos control because I don't want to homing to a enemy/spring/etc. That would then open him up to more customs, like light dash, double jump, "speed stomp" (Green Eyes), etc. It would allow for much more fluid gameplay as well. You could *custom 1* into a dash and then *custom 1* again if you need to make the landing or anything like that. You can *custom 1* into a light dash, *custom 1* again and still have your dash. Just my ideas, I just really, REALLY, want the chaos control separated from his jump and made into a custom, allows for much more control and better mechanics imo.

Just like SMS when he first released and really every iteration released after that, this wad is spammed on every server. Congratulations.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back