SRB2 CONTEST: Calling all texture artists!

Status
Not open for further replies.
JEV3 said:
I honestly see nothing promising in that texture, while some of the other ones you worked on were. When I look at the wall, I want to see a sandbaked texture (generally used for floors)... But its flat looking rocks which *look* tiled.

My recommendation is to try something entirely different, maybe see if a sandbaked wall actually looks good? Look at Greenflower, Techno Hill, and Castle Eggman textures. The main textures in there weren't really practical, but they set up the core theme of the level and looked good. (CEZ's textures are less of an example because they are modified GFZ walls)

I thought as much... I was getting tired of editing that same old texture...

I don't mind starting a new texture... but I don't quite get what a 'sandbaked' wall would look like.

I haven't got many good ideas for ACZ rock textures at the moment...

I'm thinking of making the new rock texture a bit like the normal GFZ, THZ and CEG in that the rocks are simple shapes, like squares, and rectangles. I'm thinking maybe the shapes for the new rock texture could be... pentagons? Does this seem like a good idea to you, JEV3?

Monster Iestyn said:
I'm thinking maybe the shapes for the new rock texture could be... pentagons? Does this seem like a good idea to you, JEV3?

Don't ask me, give it a shot and see how it looks. Its much quicker that way. I think I actually scrapped three textures before I got to one I liked, and then I modified that one to look entirely different.

And by sandbaked, (maybe the word is sunbaked <_<) I meant where the ground cracks due to the heat. I have no idea how it would look applying that to a wall.

You really can't get around trial and error, and concepts perhaps most need you to make several attempts, even if they are really good, to get it just right.

I've made a new texture, that is made up of hexagons (I couldn't do pentagons because they were too hard to make). I'm not really sure if it's any good at all (I think some of you may go "It looks like a honeycomb", again...), but I'm showing it anyway. I've also tried to make it look 'sunbaked' as JEV3 suggested.

Here it is, with a size of 64x96:
ACZRCK01.png

And with a size of 384x384:
ACZRCK012.png

(Perhaps I could remove that shine, maybe...)

I know... it's obviously tiled...

Maybe you could change the cracks on the two bottom parts that connect when tiled to there own cracks other then repeating the same pattern over and over.

mikesword221 said:
Maybe you could change the cracks on the two bottom parts that connect when tiled to there own cracks other then repeating the same pattern over and over.

Changed the texture to have what you said (I think I should have improved on it more, though...).

Here it is again:
ACZRCK01-1.png

And when 384x384:
ACZRCK012-1.png

Any better?

mikesword221 said:
It looks like it's getting there maybe a little more jagged? Like a bump here and a bump there?

I'm not quite sure what you want me to do about that... I just wanted it to be a bit simple like with the GFZ, THZ and CEZ rock textures...

Can't we just recolor the GFZ rock textures to gold and brown with a sandy look? :V

It's so simple, I never thought of it. >_>

Chaos said:
Can't we just recolor the GFZ rock textures to gold and brown with a sandy look? :V

It's so simple, I never thought of it. >_>

I'm not keen on having that being used in Arid Canyon personally. I don't think it's a good idea...

I'm still here. I think the contest is about ready to be closed, but I wanted to wait a bit and see if somebody comes up with anything else.

Monster Iestyn said:
mikesword221 said:

Changed the texture to have what you said (I think I should have improved on it more, though...).

Here it is again:
lolimage

And when 384x384:
moar image

Any better?
WEll, if you are going to use that texture, you should probably flip it horizontally, because IIRC, most textures in SRB2 act as if the light source is coming from the top-right.

Monster, I'd add a little bit of variation in there perhaps. Vary the shading, make the cracks a little more ingrained into the texture (looks like just painted with a single solid color in this one) and have them perhaps run out of some tiles and into others. I'd suggest doubling the size maybe and then tiling it to 256x256 so you have room for more variation so the cracks pattern doesn't appear tiled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back