my computer's cpu usage is low and my procces usage higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

verifiaman

The master of verification.
every time i open up a page, the taskmanager says my cpu usage is around 8-7 percent. also my processes have usage numbers have gone up to the ten-thousands. is that bad?

Of course opening a web page is going to use _some_ CPU. The browser must retrieve information from the server, have the layout engine interpret the HTML, and then render it to the screen. I'm on a dual-core system, and on navigating between pages on these forums I get about 11-15% CPU usage.

As for the process IDs, my highest right now is 3032. Each new process is assigned a unique ID, so if you open and close a lot of applications, you'll probably reach the ten thousands pretty quickly. Nothing you should really be concerned about.

ok let me rephrase: this happened today as soon as i opened internet explorer. its really unnerving

What happened? And why is it a problem? Seems like normal behavior to me. Keep in mind, any kind of operation is going to require some CPU usage.

verifiaman said:
ok let me rephrase: this happened today as soon as i opened internet explorer. its really unnerving

THERE YA GO

...Actually, I dunno much about IE. I just know that it's super slow and takes a lot of effort on the Comps part to use (As in, memory)
I also found it to be super sluggish too.

Switch to Firefox, Google Chrome, or even Opera ASAP. That might not solve anything, but IE is the worst browser there is, IMHO.

I don't think we need IE SUCKS ITS THE WORST THING DOWNLOAD OPEAR.

He's been using IE for a long time. So I don't think IE would be the problem. What version are you using? Did you try restarting your computer? Does this really affect your performance? Can you ignore it?

it's been slower, also this is the first time its happened. they never took up this much before. usually its in the thousands.

verifiaman said:
it's been slower, also this is the first time its happened. they never took up this much before. usually its in the thousands.

That's how a normal browser process works, all browsers uses high process power. Are you sure you didn't close any apps that affect the cpu usage?

My firefox browser right now is in the 60 thousands range.

Oh, this could be temporary and your internet might be slowing down due to junk files(Use SpeedupmyPc) Or, just a bad internet connection.

And try another browser if anything is different.

Last I checked, CPU usage was a two digit number.

You sure it wasn't the memory usage, because tens of thousands is pretty low.

im talking about my processes like svchost. they were always in the thousands all of them, but now they're in the ten-thousands

You're talking about memory usage. That's completely different from CPU usage.

As Cue said, tens of thousands in memory usage is really low.

What are you worried about again?

low cpu usage, high memory usage. this hasnt happened before. listen, i check my cpu and memory usage everyday for anomolies, and that counts

Okay, first of all memory usage should not be a concern until you are getting page file extensions (when Windows warns you about increasing the size of the page file). As the saying goes, "unused memory is wasted memory."

Second, I'm not sure how many times I've explained this here. svchost.exe is Windows's internal service process - each and every execution of it has a very different purpose. There will always be multiple svchost.exes running, you should never close any of them.

Third, until you start getting a performance drop doing the same things you normally do, why do you care? A slight increase in memory usage is absolutely nothing to post a new thread on a message board about if it's not really causing a problem. Memory usage fluctuates all the time.

In all honesty, we've all said everything's fine. The memory usage is measured in kilobits I think, so it's going to be a high number, whereas CPU usage is a percent, so caps at 100.

verifiaman said:
so when that happens, everything is supposed to lag and slowdown?
If it is slowing down, yes you have a problem. But you're just saying numbers are rising - that literally means nothing and is not anything to be concerned about.

yeah it all happened the day i posted this topic. normally when i opened up multiple things there was no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back