Is SRB2 Illegal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the correct answer is "sorta", but for all practical purposes the answer is "yes".

Basically, fangames are inherently copyright violations, since they use another company's characters. However, many companies, SEGA included, simply ignore this fact and allow their fans to do as they please.

For a better explanation, see Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fangame#Legal_issues

Dosen't matter thought. The game is going to be technically illegal until all the Sonic stuff is removed, which is unlikely to happen.
I severly doubt Sega is likely to take any legal actions against StJr however. SRB2 is just one game in a sea of Sonic fangames.

Draykon said:
Dosen't matter thought. The game is going to be technically illegal until all the Sonic stuff is removed, which is unlikely to happen.
I severly doubt Sega is likely to take any legal actions against StJr however. SRB2 is just one game in a sea of Sonic fangames.
Recolor city. >.>

The question isn't whether we want to be sued, the question is whether or not SEGA wants to sue their own fans for copyright infringement. For years, the answer appears to be "no". While they could change that policy, it would be a HORRIBLE public relations move to sue their own dedicated fans, especially with how fast they're losing them.

Trademark infringement, not copyright, which can be quite a bit more vague.

Unless a noob seeking revenge because he 'woz band from da form' goes to Sega and says 'OMGWTFBBQ DEY STOL SONIK' and I doubt Sega would even listen for reasons above.

Actually, Hannyness. Someone posted a link to the game on the Sega board years ago. Nothing happened though. It could have been worse.

Sonict

Hell, if I recall, the official SEGA boards had a topic for Time Attacking SRB2. They _HAVE_ to know it exists.

Yep, I went to the SEGA boards months ago and did a Search for SRB2. There were probably more than 10 topics made in there. Most of them were simple questions, like how to connect or how to add wads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back