Duplicate A new level starts you with a basic shield; coming in from spectator mode does not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sizzle

I'm not sure if this is intentional behavior or not...you get the shield on your first "entry" into the game, but never receive it after. The process is simple: Load level, unspectate, spectate, unspectate.

If your score is reset and you are effectively a non-combatant, shouldn't you receive the shield?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is intentional behavior, due to the way the Pity Shield system works.

Intentional, to prevent abusing the spectator system to get a free shield if you don't have any points.

Intentional, to prevent abusing the spectator system to get a free shield if you don't have any points.

Couldn't you rejoin a server to get a shield anyways? I'm not sure the solution in place is preventing that action.

I'm curious regarding the shield system: What is being abused in this scenario? The ability to...lose all your points in exchange for a pity shield? Were players switching to and from spectator mode for this?

I'm not sure how promiment it is in vanilla gametypes, but I know every time I host Supervirus (shameless plug) I get people who spectate and immediately unspectate as soon as they get super because they don't wanna deal with chasing someone down.

That said, this behavior is a tad silly and it'd be nice to be consistent. If it were my choice I'd just not start anyone with a pity shield and save it for after you've gotten hit (prove you need it before you get it), but if the current behavior's fine then it's the same fix, just with a different value to force player->pity to.

I'm not sure what a non-vanilla gametype has to deal with this, especially since there is a rationale behind going spectator (don't want to chase other players) whereas here there is none. I know there are similar cases in Tag/H&S where going spectator is more frequent to avoid being the seeker, but again, this is all tangential. The pity shield is what's in question.

I like your suggestion of saving the shield for after you get hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back