The official MLP fad has been overdone thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly, so that outs anything except publicly saying "Hey, look, some of us are sick to death of the ponies, keep it in the MLP topic for the sanity of people around you."

That really isn't a lot to ask for. Telling people who are sick of seeing them to shut up and ignore it while it keeps perpetuating itself is too much to ask for.

Being that I am somewhat involved with this portion of the community, I can't really propose a solution that would both rid the forums of pony references while keeping everyone happy. I thought it was fine the way it currently was before someone decided to make a topic for this specific purpose.

Even though there are people who dislike this whole thing, it's also being an asshole to try and enforce some sort of end to it.
You're still looking at this from one angle. If it was fine the way it was before, people wouldn't be upset about it. I don't recall enforcing any sort of end, either. I'm allowed to have my own opinion. Just because it differs from yours doesn't make it drama, either.

If I could remove one word from the English language, it would most certainly be "drama"...you guys hide behind it so often whenever someone suggests a different viewpoint, radical or otherwise. It's the equivalent of saying "humorhumorhumor" whenever I made someone laugh. Quite dysfunctional behaviour...

TF2 took over web forums and YouTube and nobody complained. So why do people complain about ponies?

I'm not a brony and I don't watch the show, but I don't mind it simply because it's something different. Pretty much everything else in popular media boils down to "MANLY TESTOSTERONE BOREFEST." MLP is a really nice break from this monoculture.

To me, it seems like it's just a lot of people going "oh no, it's something different! That's BAD!" I might even go so far as to say that people who get worked up over people posting ponies are homophobic, but that may or may not be unfounded and/or far-fetched.

It's not "Oh no, something different, that's bad". It's getting tired of it being flaunted.

Look at this post I made about 3 months ago. How's the argument I'm making here the equivalent of "Oh no, something different, that's BAD!"? It isn't. That post is, in fact, evidence of the fact that this is not what I am saying.

TF2 took over web forums and YouTube and nobody complained. So why do people complain about ponies?
Plenty of people did. I know lots of people with aversion to TF2, for that matter. It's no different.

To me, it seems like it's just a lot of people going "oh no, it's something different! That's BAD!" I might even go so far as to say that people who get worked up over people posting ponies are homophobic, but that may or may not be unfounded and/or far-fetched.

I almost take offense to that. I'm completely pro-LGBTQ in every regard: I have a male gay cousin who I could not possibly respect any more than I already do, and I've dated three bisexuals before. It's certainly not homophobia, let me assure you right now.

I have no aversion to change, either....you guys should know that from experience, me being perhaps one of the most liberal voices here to date. It's just not something I'm interested in.

I just think that, perhaps for your own sake, this show has reached a little bit too far in to your lives. Sure, who am I to dictate what you can and cannot watch, that's a valid argument. Just think of it this way: Do you want to entice new users to come around? Do you think having ponies left right and center is going to earn you new friends, both on and offline? I may be very open-minded, but the rest of the world is still a bit behind there: It's going to be a while before you can have your cake and eat it too. By taking every effort to show just how proud of your pony obsession you are, you're pretty much ensuring that your social encounters will exist solely with those who share that viewpoint.

I guess it's up to you to decide whether or not you want that. I certainly don't, and I most certainly don't want to associate myself with it.

I should have been a counselor...

Last edited:
Who cares? Let them post their ponies. If you're annoyed by it, ignore it like you do (or should do) with everything else that annoys you. The internet is so full of stupid and annoying things that you would go crazy in no time if you weren't able to ignore them. By complaining about it in a public thread, you're just making the whole affair that much more annoying.

Your complaining about them complaining is just as unproductive as their complaining. Which by extension makes my complaining equally unproductive. huh.

Shitty comparison, plus you're not listening.

TF2 was a huge hit; it was fucking fun and tons of people were playing it. What's more, it was also a social game that was perfect for communities getting together and just picking up and playing, so they did it often. No shit they took over online communities, what the fuck did you expect from an ONLINE VIDEOGAME that most people agree is FUN and convenient to play frequently?

But that's not even the point. Of course there are obvious mutual interests between SRB2 and TF2, but people were still annoying about it with the stupid memetic mutation that happened to 1/4 of all of the voicelines in the game. And they're even moreso aggravating now, with the new pony mindset. Ponies, pony fan characters, pony jokes shoved in your faces just for the sake of showing your pride for liking a girly yet (presumably) entertaining show designed for six year olds.

I don't hate ponies. I hate you. The collective you; the you who strives to be "different" to the point of insanity, the you who insist we must tolerate dumb shit posted on the forums because it is in compliance with the forum's sterile ruleset. I have lost hope for there being a solution to this "pony" problem, because the problem is not the pony, it is the dark symbol it bears on the contrived numbness of this community. It frustrates me, because it has proven to me that the community was not only as hopeless as I thought it was, it has only gotten worse.

Where's the "like" button? I can't find it anywhere.

There's a part of me that wants to laugh at the argument FoxBlitzz is making by saying "Oh no, this is different, THAT'S SO BAD" by pointing out that you guys refused to let people roleplay on your SRB2 servers until I came in and made it my business to completely overhaul that system.

Last edited:
...wow, this thread is getting even more depressing as it goes on and on.

Perhaps some of us here would like to place their bets on how long this topic will go before being outright locked? =V

Plenty of people did. I know lots of people with aversion to TF2, for that matter. It's no different.

Are you talking about the actual game, or references to TF2 in media? Because, yes, there are a lot of people who probably wouldn't want to play the game itself in the state it's in these days. Remember all the drama involving things like hats and halos? And then the free-to-play thing? Yeah. I still enjoy the media based off the fad and I've yet to run into someone who grossly objects it. I mean, sure, I imagine there _are_ people who don't like it, but I assure you they are far outnumbered by people who are opposed to people posting ponies.

Honestly, I've noticed that the anti-pony-posting people have gotten so enraged over this that they seem to blow their tops whenever they so much as see a pony _anywhere_ in _any_ quantity. I've come across a few recent TAS videos featuring Rainbow Dash on the "encoded by" screen - a screen that lasts a grand total of two seconds. Yet people seem to almost flood the comments of these videos complaining about something that was only there for two whole seconds and then claiming that it ruined the video for them. I have never seen this sort of thing happen with TF2 media.

Just think of it this way: Do you want to entice new users to come around? Do you think having ponies left right and center is going to earn you new friends, both on and offline?

I don't think most fad participants are actively trying to steer people away. And you're right - it is largely about gravitating toward like-minded people. I think the repulsion is a side-effect of something new coming about and the majority not really being prepared for it. And, well, MLP _is_ quite different. It is for this reason that "quarantine" threads do seem to help the situation somewhat. Unfortunately it doesn't account for things like avatars, which are global to the forums.

You have to realize that a lot of people like MLP so much because they haven't seen much of anything like it (2D "toon" animation, gender-neutral appeal, good writing) on TV for _years_. They're understandably excited. Let them have their fun as long as they aren't actively trying to bother other people with it.

I should have been a counselor...

I can't decide if this is flamebait or not. Then again this whole thread is kinda flamebait, but eh.

Look, I think this has really just become a rant thread, and I am locking it on the grounds that you're clearly skirting the line, if not going over.

I don't hate ponies. I hate you. The collective you; the you who strives to be "different" to the point of insanity, the you who insist we must tolerate dumb shit posted on the forums because it is in compliance with the forum's sterile ruleset. I have lost hope for there being a solution to this "pony" problem, because the problem is not the pony, it is the dark symbol it bears on the contrived numbness of this community. It frustrates me, because it has proven to me that the community was not only as hopeless as I thought it was, it has only gotten worse.
I'm sorry, but as a joke response to a clearly stupid set of posts, I really do not see a problem with a dumb pony image macro. You are blowing this WAY out of proportion. Most of the pony shit on this forum is confined to the pony thread, and if people want to have avatars of whatever they're currently obsessed with, I have no problem with that. I am not going to kill anyone's avatar unless it breaks one of the other rules. Hell, my avatar is Ran from Touhou, the last big fad around here, and there was an infinite amount of bitching about Touhou when it was the current fad as well. I really don't know where on the internet you can go to avoid it, because even when MLP inevitably dies off as a fad, something new will replace it as it ALWAYS DOES. It's a pattern going back to before this forum was even established. Remember All Your Base?

You guys all need to grow the hell up and realize that part of communicating with other people in a group is that topics that you don't care about are going to come up. I don't care about ponies, and therefore I tune it out. I've been tuning out fads I don't care about since I GOT here. If I'm the main administrator and am reading the pony thread just to make sure it doesn't break the rules and I'm tuning out the fad, I'm sure you can. Not only that, this is a skill that is going to be necessary to you no matter WHERE you are, either on or off the internet. My group of friends doesn't only talk about things I'm interested in; I simply don't engage in the conversations that I don't care about. Everyone on the planet is going to need this skill to have social contacts with other human beings, so I suggest you exercise it here as practice and wait until a fad you enjoy comes along.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back