• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Your opinions of these sprites? And questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosy

(o´▽`o) Rosy Pink
I'd like to make a complete, and hopefully well done Modern Amy wad, so could I have your opinions on these? And please explain what you'd change.

This is for when not moving, before the idle begins.

This is the idle animation starting one. It would be really cool if it was backwards to Rosy's, where her hands were behind!

And to save future topics, I'll go ahead and ask these questions:
1.) Is it okay I include voice clips from the games, like grunts? It didn't say anything about that in the rules. (I assume not, but you can never be sure...)
2.) Since Amy's hammer moves would work nearly exactly like the current Rosy's, is it okay if I copied over the lua script and credited the author?
3.) It would look better to use Amy sprites from Sonic Advance as inspiration for her hammer moves. Could I redraw those hammer moves on a bigger scale, with respect to the rotation angles I'd have to come up with? (Like these)

And thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Sorry I'm on mobile so I can't give you an accurate answer. I'll give you a better one later. From what I can see, she's very cute. I like your style. Though the line art is really messy and I can't see any shading or AA.

And yes you can use real Amy voices for your wad.

The sprites looks pretty neat, I can't say those are bad because I cannot myself draw correctly on a computer.

1)Voices are not commonly used on SRB2 because they repeat themselves and become annoying with the time.

2)You can, but you have to ask the permission to the person who made Rosy by PM and credit him when it will be released.

3)Do whatever you want, tough, using original sprite rips without modfying isn't tolerated there.

The sprite reminds me a bit of advance amy. You shouldn't use pillow shading(dark outside, which gets bright in the inside) and it might be better to use a brighter color for the white and a mix of the tan/brown color palette for the skin.

Try to replace the 3 green shades inside of the eyes with a black color, it looks better than having a eye which is only made out of one color.

Other than that it looks good, I like it so far.

1.)There should be no problem with that, as long as there is more than ripped content in the wad, it's ok. Keep in mind that some might not like the voice clips so you might want to release a voiceless version.

2.) You can't do that(or only by getting wadzip to work on windows) because rosy is compressed using the software wadzip, so you can't open up the script or view any of the files. Wadzip is free(you can find it on the uploaded srb2 source) but you would need to complie it yourself, and it needs to be on a windows version because the linux one can't decompile it. Even if you could open it you would need to ask the author for it first.

3.) I don't see a problem with using the advance sprites as a base.

Sorry I'm on mobile so I can't give you an accurate answer. I'll give you a better one later. From what I can see, she's very cute. I like your style. Though the line art is really messy and I can't see any shading or AA.

And yes you can use real Amy voices for your wad.

I'm glad you guys like them, and thanks a bunch for the advice! But, how can I make the lineart look clean? And I forgot to AA. I did shade, but it's slight. If you zoom in you'll see it, but the picture looks very small online and here.

The sprite reminds me a bit of advance amy. You shouldn't use pillow shading(dark outside, which gets bright in the inside) and it might be better to use a brighter color for the white and a mix of the tan/brown color palette for the skin.

Try to replace the 3 green shades inside of the eyes with a black color, it looks better than having a eye which is only made out of one color.

Other than that it looks good, I like it so far.

1.)There should be no problem with that, as long as there is more than ripped content in the wad, it's ok. Keep in mind that some might not like the voice clips so you might want to release a voiceless version.

2.) You can't do that(or only by getting wadzip to work on windows) because rosy is compressed using the software wadzip, so you can't open up the script or view any of the files. Wadzip is free(you can find it on the uploaded srb2 source) but you would need to complie it yourself, and it needs to be on a windows version because the linux one can't decompile it. Even if you could open it you would need to ask the author for it first.

3.) I don't see a problem with using the advance sprites as a base.

I'll make things simple and just contact Rosy's creator.

Also, that's the thing, I couldn't find a better color palette for the cheeks besides the sprites. And starting from scratch, I couldn't find a tan. Does anyone have any sprites they could share with a good palette to use?

Also, how should the shading change? "Pillow shading" is all I know how to do.

Last edited:
The eyes are in need of pupils, definitely. I was also barely able to see her smile, too, so I think it would be nice to have it a darker shade. The rest of the sprite is pretty decent, though.

What bothers me the most in this sprite is how low the contrast is in most of it. The pink shading doesn't varies enough, and the white outlines are far too bright to even stand out. The red shading in her dress is rather flat as well, and her head isn't exactly in a front angle.

What bothers me the most in this sprite is how low the contrast is in most of it. The pink shading doesn't varies enough, and the white outlines are far too bright to even stand out. The red shading in her dress is rather flat as well, and her head isn't exactly in a front angle.

Why is the red shading flat? Like what does that mean? And I always knew the little hair in the front would be a problem...

I'll make a new sprite with all of the suggestions in mind, but can you guys not abandon the topic? If you guys do, it isn't like I could make a new one to improve the sprites...

but can you guys not abandon the topic? If you guys do, it isn't like I could make a new one to improve the sprites...

Why would we do this? As long as there's something to see, there will still be people.

I'd like to make a complete, and hopefully well done Modern Amy wad, so could I have your opinions on these? And please explain what you'd change.

This is for when not moving, before the idle begins.

This is the idle animation starting one. It would be really cool if it was backwards to Rosy's, where her hands were behind!

And to save future topics, I'll go ahead and ask these questions:
1.) Is it okay I include voice clips from the games, like grunts? It didn't say anything about that in the rules. (I assume not, but you can never be sure...)
2.) Since Amy's hammer moves would work nearly exactly like the current Rosy's, is it okay if I copied over the lua script and credited the author?
3.) It would look better to use Amy sprites from Sonic Advance as inspiration for her hammer moves. Could I redraw those hammer moves on a bigger scale, with respect to the rotation angles I'd have to come up with? (Like these)

And thanks for reading.

Yeah, you have really good style like the others have said. However, those colors are really saturated and they're really going to stand out against whatever environment she's in.

You might wanna draw from the standard color pallet instead. The colors you are using are to bright and won't show in game.

You might wanna draw from the standard color pallet instead. The colors you are using are to bright and won't show in game.
This sounds like a really good idea. Is there a way I can get access to the color pallete for srb2? That would help a ton, as it would fix all of these comments on a lack of saturation, too bright colors, etc.

I'll look into how to shade properly, but besides 'pillow shading', I can't think of any techniques or specific way to do it. Can anyone give me some help on that?

Also, I dunno, I've seen topics die, but there's always the IRC, I suppose.

As a second thought, do you all think it would be better if I made the sprites match the style of sonic games much more, so that they would appeal to everyone and not just those who like this style? Srb2 has an independent style though- that's the funny thing, and its one that matches the classic games. Amy's... well, self, doesn't match that style either and it might be tough to recreate.

EDIT: I've found a great way to shade. Thanks online tutorials!

Last edited:
Here is the palette:
Palette.png

Wow. This is amazing! Have you noticed how the style of your sprites look like it would fit in with the SonicRE sprites?
Amy could use some pupils though and Sadly the current shades of pink in the palette don't seem to be that "pink".
I tried 2 different colours on the palette that closely resembled her fur and these are the results;
amy_fix_by_hyperflare957-d84zqui.png
PINK

amy_fix_alt_by_hyperflare957-d84zqlo.png
PURPLE
I had also changed the other colours and added pupils to see how it would turn out.
I hope this clears up any problems with the colours.

Last edited:
dfiasfjaskfmasfksfm.png

Kinda sucks and unfinished but here. Notice how there's a more defined contrast in the green shades. Also take a look at the shape. I might finish this later to show you Anti aliasing.

Oh wow, thanks so much guys. I'm trying it with the srb2 color pallete and it doesn't look too right- very dull. Rosy.wad had the pink just right... I wonder what colors were used there. Can you extract sprites somehow? I'm using Slade...

And also, I still don't know you mean by defined contrast. Color is color. I'm thinking you mean make the darker shades darker and the lighter shades lighter. Nice sprite though! If you could show AA that would be wonderful, but there are tutorials online. Also shouldn't there be lineart? idk.

Last edited:
I'm relatively sure the Rosy wad uses the pink palette shown above; the dullness[at least in that version] mostly comes from wrong color choices from the specified palette.

Speaking of the head, this may have been intentional, but it looks like her head isn't centered towards us, but rather looking a little to her right. Part of this may come from the asymmetrical eyes or eyelashes.

5jzjo2.jpg

Direct link here!

Here's a jumbo sized version for anyone who can't see it well because they're on a phone or whatever, since that might be a possibility, I guess.
771545cafeb3075c1415360491.png
(I'll fix the shoe soles!)

Okay, so here's a new sprite taking in the suggestions everyone has. I used srb2's palette, so it won't be too bright, added black eyes, didn't pillow shade (if it looks that way, it's because of the darker lineart), darkened the outlines, and lastly, angled her head to be almost straightforward and mostly symmetrical.

The fur color was chosen from the brightest colors in the pink color palette. Based on Amy's design, her skin is lighter than other characters, so I used the lighter tans for her skin as well. I demonstrated this in the little palette to the left of Amy, as using normal pinks would result in dullness.

The pink still looks dull imo, but that's probably because I have no idea how to add light properly. This is the second sprite I've ever made, (first is above >>) so some things might take practice.
Her shoes were also made a bit taller.

What do you guys think of the head shape and it altogether?

Also, please add more than just criticism if you can. The idea is to improve the sprite, so if you can, tell me how it can be fixed too. Just saying 'her dress is paper, shade better' doesn't help. Well, it gives me a category to focus on, but what's bad about it?

EDIT: Question: What parts of a sprite like this are you supposed to add AA to? I was wondering that while making this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back