What's with servers nowadays?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Location maybe? Literally 80% of the servers I am able to join (in/around Europe) are coop. The other servers don't display most of the time (except by listserv) and/or have extremely high ping, around 2000-3000.
Also, my network speed is unstable: (and I don't know how to fix it)
-Mostly, ping is average 100-250.
-But sometimes, average ping is 600 or even higher.

Connection speed? You're lagging down other people's games, too.
So lemme get this perfectly straight - you think bad connection speed isn't a good enough reason to avoid hosting games yourself?

Oh, what a world we live in. A good many players out there can only even stay at a playable level because the host has an awesomely kick-ass server speed to compensate for them. Now okay, fair enough, let's ignore that for the sake of the argument that it's still balanced because everyone else lags with you... are you out of your ****ing mind? Assuming it's even remotely playable, who in the right mind would put up with it simply for the sake of playing, especially when there should be better alternatives about? And that's not even considering the fact that the server always has the supreme advantage anyway regardless, so anyone else that joins a high-ping server is effectively taking the piss one way or another. The only real reason I host is because Hide & Seek doesn't need nearly as much input to win in, and even then I still come across complete noobs who still feel the need to ***** about the ping every now and then.

The sad thing about it all, really, is that Coop is by far THE most unplayable kind of netgame out there when it comes to higher pings. How so many people can bear to host them or join them in all but the fastest servers imaginable, I simply can't understand.

So lemme get this perfectly straight - you think bad connection speed isn't a good enough reason to avoid hosting games yourself?

(tl;dr)
If your excuse is your low connection speed, then you're going to have trouble playing netgames, hosting or not. It's not really a valid argument on why you can't host your own (small as it may) game.

I could host on a 1mbit connection, if you don't even have that then you're living in a very different world.

If your excuse is your low connection speed, then you're going to have trouble playing netgames, hosting or not. It's not really a valid argument on why you can't host your own (small as it may) game.
Just reiterating because it seems the point flew completely over your head:

A good many players out there can only even stay at a playable level because the host has an awesomely kick-ass server speed to compensate for them.
Regardless of the individual's connection speed, most anyone can still get a decent run as long as the server's up to scratch. If it isn't, it's effectively little more than punishing everyone who wants to play, really. You might be surprised at how many players are really that reliant on a good host connection to get them going.

While most play coop there are those of us, including me, who don't. I stopped hosting a long time ago for a few reasons. One mainly being the steady decline of people not joining anymore. Before I would get decent amount of people to join my games. About 6 or 7 other people at times and I played late nights (Pacific Time) with most players being from the U.K. who were playing morning time. Everytime I tried hosting this year when 2.0 came out I would get no one to join, even if I left the game minimized for a long time and I would check the log to see if anyone joined if I missed them. I guess one factor could be time but true, now all I see are coop servers. Not too long ago, about a few months ago I caught this guy named "Sonic the Hedgehog" if I recall correctly, who roleplaying who joined my server. Then he left my server later on and eventually I got tired of waiting, so I went to see what other games were up. Apparently he had a game and it was the only one that was listed on the MS. I said what the heck I'll join. There were about 5 other people or so saying dialogue of the characters they were... it was quite embarrasing. Coop nowadays is just a quick nab of the tokens and a race to the finish. It's hardly enjoyable when you got someone who's rushing like no tomorrow without letting anyone else explore and thinking they are the best player by beating the level first. That's what I used to do back in '93 when playing Sonic 2, explore. Well, now that I know the ins and outs of that game, sure I'll blast through it but that's not the point.

Anyways, I'm a CTF kinda guy. I enjoy match as well but CTF has to be my most favorite mode. Unfortunately, playing online in that mode seems virtually non-existent on my end, so basically I just quit.

Last edited:
...You DID update to 2.04, right? Use the updater. The one on the site isn't patched to 2.04.

This thread is disgusting.
Spirit Crusher, people just play for fun. I'm not going to explain what fun is, but some people do like to have it. Maybe they like to play SP while talking with other people during the game.
SMS, if you want to hangout, or, as you put it "explore and find secrets" that would be something to do yourself. There's no reason to do it in a netgame, where there's probably lag, and with playerforexit on, people waiting for you.

Also, what's wrong with speeding through the level?

And that makes rushing through levels in Coop games bad... how, exactly?

You can argue what the right way to play the game is until your cheeks turn blue, but ultimately the only real goal is to reach the signpost at the end - by any stretch of logic I can even conceive, neither finishing the level in speedrun fashion or stopping for every single token are inherently bad things, and if anything are actually quite beneficial in one way or another. The strict method people use to reach that goal could hardly be any more irrelevant.

Now, RP and hangout servers, on the other hand...

OK. Apparently I'm the one that made this thread "disgusting", right? Let me rephrase what I meant:

I DO NOT force anybody NOT to play coop. I am also NOT complaining about there being coop servers. I don't even have any problem with them because I don't play netgames. The only thing I did was ask for a reason why to play coop instead of single player or race. I don't have a problem if they do play coop without me approving, I'm not that arrogant.

I get the "It's fun, so let them do what they want" argument. That's not what I'm about. I want to know WHAT'S fun about it. And that's what nobody told me. I'm okay if you can't or don't want to tell me, but then please stop complaining that I asked the question in the first place.

Why its fun... it just IS. Its very simple! Going through stages defeating eggman has never been as fun before.

Frankly, I'm really sick of all the Co-op crap. Every Server I see is Co-op, so I have to leave and set up my own. And even when I do, people still come in and ask me to change the gametype to Co-op, even though there are like, ten other Co-op Servers. A big, good ol' "No." does the trick and sends them off.

Personally, I'm more for Match and CTF. I enjoy Railing the snot out of those who dare issue a challenge to me. >:3 SO WHO'S NEXT!?

People don't seem to play coop for actually cooperating as much as it's because they want to talk to friends while doing it.
People usually like to cheat and go nuts with Super Sonic and infinite lives, too.

See, when 2.0 came out, I began to enjoy coop alot more.
With all the new levels, and more stuff to find, playing SP levels with friends became an adventure.

Sometimes I'm really in the mood for coop, but when I don't want to play coop I just
HOST MY OWN CTF SERVER. Lots of people join them too, at least 5 other people join.

Quit whining and go host your own server if there's too much coop, or get a friend to or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back