SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > SRB2 Discussion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #61
Soulman Model CE
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
Then what's the argument here? We were talking about why SMS is bad in SRB2. SMS being bad doesn't mean we need to literally redesign our game around him. If you want to see that, then go put him into another game. I doubt there's anyone left in this community that even wants to touch SMS anymore.


No, they're not unreasonably far-gone in stupidity for using words you don't like. Both words imply the same thing. When people have negative opinions on a wad, they're going to use negative words. Maybe you're just overly sensitive to cursing?


200MB of HDD space is a small price to pay compared to the many hours of work needed to create a well-designed character.
1. I thought that we were talking about SMS being bad in general, not just in SRB2
2. I didn't say anything about redesigning SRB2 or any other game around SMS.
3. I just mentioned something about putting him in another game.
4. I said that it makes them SOUND ignorant and stupid, not that they ARE ignorant and stupid.
5. Cursing isn't the only form of negative words; Negative opinions are no excuse for cursing, especially not when anyone can read it.
6. I'm not overly sensitive to cursing. I'm just tired having to deal with it in every single public place both on the internet and in person

---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lach View Post
How was anyone supposed to have known that was a joke without any sort of prior indication? As far as I can tell, nobody here can immediately tell what you're thinking without you telling them. After all, we're on the internet instead of talking face-to-face, which makes conversation somewhat more complicated. Though I must admit this image did make me laugh.

Last edited by Soulman Model CE; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:39 AM.
Soulman Model CE is offline  
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #62
Rob
Administrator
 
Rob's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulman Model CE View Post
first of all, I'm not trying to "justify saying SMS has potential".
Read exactly what I said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Your experience may very well be limited in scope, it's not a justification for saying SMS has potential.
I was not dictating that you were trying to justify your ability to say something. I was addressing that your justification for your argument, your personal experience, was inadequate as a foundation for any position you were presenting. This was a direct comment on the logical structure of your statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulman Model CE View Post
1. I thought that we were talking about SMS being bad in general, not just in SRB2
2. I didn't say anything about redesigning SRB2 or any other game around SMS.
3. I just mentioned something about putting him in another game.
This is the SRB2 forum, on the website dedicated to the SRB2 game, and the specific subforum is called SRB2 Discussion. And the character we are talking about was made for SRB2.

If you're going to start arguing that this thing has merit in some other context, I'm just going to lock this thread outright, because at that point, this discussion stops mattering altogether. Whether or not he can be good somewhere else is absolutely not relevant at all to this community. And given that you asked why it gets as much shit as it does from this community, it's reasonable to infer that you yourself care about it in that context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulman Model CE View Post
4. I said that it makes them SOUND ignorant and stupid, not that they ARE ignorant and stupid.
5. Cursing isn't the only form of negative words; Negative opinions are no excuse for cursing, especially not when anyone can read it.
6. I'm not overly sensitive to cursing. I'm just tired having to deal with it in every single public place both on the internet and in person
I'm going to address this once and only once. Do not tone police. It is absolutely not your position to be dictating to other people what words they may and may not use. That is entirely up to admin discretion, and this issue was resolved years ago. You're free not to use words you don't like. You are absolutely not free to tell other people what words they should and shouldn't use, and you are also not free to talk down to people for using words that you don't like. Insinuating people using these words are not intelligent is almost as bad as just calling them stupid outright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulman Model CE View Post
How was anyone supposed to have known that was a joke without any sort of prior indication? As far as I can tell, nobody here can immediately tell what you're thinking without you telling them. After all, we're on the internet instead of talking face-to-face, which makes conversation somewhat more complicated. Though I must admit this image did make me laugh.
Well, you're wrong. It was very apparent he was making a joke. The exaggerated tone of his initial response and the fact that he picked an option that was clearly not in your listed categories are dead giveaways, as well as the fact that he was mocking the subject matter of this debate. The problem here is your inability to read context. Not in the internet's nature.
Rob is offline  
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #63
Soulman Model CE
Default

Now even the admins despise me. This is already going to be my worst December ever!
Soulman Model CE is offline  
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #64
Sapheros
That guy that ports
 
Sapheros's Avatar
Default

I find it silly that the discussion is going in more circles than orbiting moon homing attack glitch in SA2, and I'm guilty of doing it all the time in an argument.

You know why SMS gets its hate, trying to change our opinions on it are not going to help your case.

Whether you've found enjoyment in SMS or not doesn't matter, you left up to 4 pages worth of discussion where multiple people gave their thoughts and opinions on SMS, the majority don't find enjoyment in SMS, and multiple people have given you reasons why they don't like him and why he doesn't work as a concept, idea, or worthwhile template.

SMS is one of the worst popular character mods in SRB2 and is an example for future, truly dedicated modders to know that whatever their idea of a character mod is, can't seriously be worse than SMS. If you can't accept these opinions, well I'm sorry you dedicated your time to this thread hoping that people have changed their thoughts, but enough is enough. You are making an embarrassment out of yourself trying to defend a badly designed character mod.
__________________
Hiyo all! Underground Website
Sapheros is offline  
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #65
Ultimate
a scar in time...
 
Ultimate's Avatar
Default

I'll explain this simply for you. If you don't understand this, there's probably no point in continuing this thread.

A: Hi guys, I think poop can be a good food. Why does no one like it?
B: Because it's terrible as a food.
A: I think we could update it and improve it to make it better.
B: Sure, but then it wouldn't really be poop anymore, would it? It would be food.

__________________
When a person reads, that person becomes a musician of literature, playing the piece upon the instrument of his or her own imagination, expressing it through the dynamics and articulation of emotion and experience.
http://youtube.com/philipawalker

Last edited by Ultimate; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:26 AM.
Ultimate is offline  
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #66
Potatosack
funyn menme
 
Potatosack's Avatar
Default

This entire thread would be going much smoother if you didn't operate on the assumption that people who disagree with you hate you.

Don't forget that most of us are highschoolers or adults, so the idea that we could have a full range of disdain for someone we basically just met is simply absurd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulman Model CE View Post
I have a feeling that starting this thread was a huge mistake, because nearly everyone involved has just been extremely narrow-minded about their perspectives on the mere idea of SMS having even the slightest bit of potential, even if said potential is centered around things like helping people learn how to edit the sprites of and/or nerf a character wad by using SMS as a base for the tutorial. There should have been a level pack designed to challenge those who play as him, just to show how difficult we can make things for whatever SMS players are left(if applicable).
???
You're assuming we've been narrowminded, but the honest truth is that because you're arguing only because you don't want to be wrong. We've demonstrated and explained why SMS isn't the best tool (or a tool of any value at all) for teaching all of these different things. If you wanna learn how to edit sprites. . . use FSonic, not a Sonic edit which removes shading and ignores the proper practices of spriting. There is nothing you can get from SMS that can't be found elsewhere. I don't know why you keep ignoring that.

SMS couldn't teach how to nerf characters, because being an overpowered sonic means his nerfed form would just be... Sonic. And what has that taught you? That being overpowered is bad? No shit it's bad, but that's not actually useful data.

>There should've been a level pack to challenge those who play as him

Or you could... design a level pack around the starting three, which are actually interesting in their strengths and weaknesses... hell, where are the Shadow levels? The Silver ones? Those characters actually have unique gimmicks where I'd have to think to be able to come up with something, instead of just making a map with wide platform gaps.
__________________
Take your fidget spinner and smite me.
Potatosack is offline  
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #67
GreenKnight9000
 
GreenKnight9000's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapheros View Post
I find it silly that the discussion is going in more circles than orbiting moon homing attack glitch in SA2
Holy shit my sides I need to use that some point!
__________________
Certified Emerald Hunter for online matches
-Known as ThomasTheHedgehog888 in matches-
GreenKnight9000 is offline  
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #68
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes
 
CobaltBW's Avatar
Default

All of this is reminding me of when Super Mystic Sonic said that his character will have DVD-quality cutscenes and require DirectX 10 to run.

... in 2006. When DirectX 10 wasn't even out yet. For a game that runs on DirectX 3.
__________________
~CobaltBW

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
CobaltBW is offline  
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #69
ThunderFlame
 
ThunderFlame's Avatar
Default

Is it bad that I never knew SMS was a fan character? Like, I legitimately thought to myself that it was an idea SEGA had thought of.
__________________
I am Predator.
ThunderFlame is offline  
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #70
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator
 
Mystic's Avatar
Default

Poe's Law in action. SEGA legitimately has made some really stupid forms for Sonic over the years, so it's not surprising.
Mystic is offline  
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #71
frozenLake
 
frozenLake's Avatar
Default Why all the Recolor Hate?

Overpowered Shitty Recolors have feelings too, guys :<

Just wait until I make Soulman the Hedgehog, and then all you fricking fricks will be sorry!!!
__________________
"ringslinger is more unbalanced than sonics thok" -White, 11/6/2017

Last edited by frozenLake; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:25 AM.
frozenLake is offline  
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #72
Soulman Model CE
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenLake View Post
Overpowered Shitty Recolors have feelings too, guys :<

Just wait until I make Soulman the Hedgehog, and then all you fricking fricks will be sorry!!!
I don't need to be turned into the base for someone else's ideas. I mean, who would want to name anything after a complete stranger's account without even asking or even giving credit? I sure wouldn't want to be a victim of someone having done something like that.

Last edited by Soulman Model CE; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:19 AM.
Soulman Model CE is offline  
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #73
ThunderFlame
 
ThunderFlame's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenLake View Post
all you fricking fricks will be sorry!!!
Oh god I thought that died.
__________________
I am Predator.
ThunderFlame is offline  
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #74
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes
 
CobaltBW's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulman Model CE View Post
I don't need to be turned into the base for someone else's ideas. I mean, who would want to name anything after a complete stranger's account without even asking or even giving credit? I sure wouldn't want to be a victim of someone having done something like that.
It seems to me that you need to recalibrate your sarcasm detector.
__________________
~CobaltBW

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
CobaltBW is offline  
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #75
Soulman Model CE
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobaltBW View Post
It seems to me that you need to recalibrate your sarcasm detector.
I have difficulty reading unindicated sarcasm in text, regardless of how I look at it. It's something to do with my condition, which you should know about if you have looked at my profile page recently.

Last edited by Soulman Model CE; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:11 PM.
Soulman Model CE is offline  
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #76
frozenLake
 
frozenLake's Avatar
Default

...I'd say "so what", but I do have to admit, it is different for everyone.

I will just state that you are becoming the laughingstock of the community with this thread, so perhaps you should just accept that we aren't going to "redeem" SMS and move on.
__________________
"ringslinger is more unbalanced than sonics thok" -White, 11/6/2017
frozenLake is offline  
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #77
Potatosack
funyn menme
 
Potatosack's Avatar
Default

You can't redeem some things

Not everything is a good idea, and that's just life. No matter how hard you try, there's no way to make SMS good, because any sort of improvement to SMS that resulted in a dramatic increase in his quality would also cause it to no longer be SMS. In spirit? Prehaps, but it'll be far from improving the original idea itself.

Arguing for the sake of arguing is dumb. If you haven't actually made your case by now, I doubt you ever will.
__________________
Take your fidget spinner and smite me.
Potatosack is offline  
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #78
Soulman Model CE
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenLake View Post
...I'd say "so what", but I do have to admit, it is different for everyone.

I will just state that you are becoming the laughingstock of the community with this thread, so perhaps you should just accept that we aren't going to "redeem" SMS and move on.
I tried to keep thread going in hopes that I would find people who shared my opinions, and instead I found everybody disagreeing with me, laughing at me and finding reasons why I'm wrong. In the end, everybody seems to think negatively of me and they appear to be keeping things going without me. Now all I want is for this thread to just disappear so nobody has to see it, because all it's doing is letting people have fun at my expense.

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatosack View Post
You can't redeem some things

Not everything is a good idea, and that's just life. No matter how hard you try, there's no way to make SMS good, because any sort of improvement to SMS that resulted in a dramatic increase in his quality would also cause it to no longer be SMS. In spirit? Prehaps, but it'll be far from improving the original idea itself.

Arguing for the sake of arguing is dumb. If you haven't actually made your case by now, I doubt you ever will.
I stopped caring about arguing yesterday.
Soulman Model CE is offline  
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #79
Potatosack
funyn menme
 
Potatosack's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulman Model CE View Post
I tried to keep thread going in hopes that I would find people who shared my opinions...
In that case, you should've made a thread called "does anyone else like SMS," because the thread title literally asks why people don't like him.

That's uhh, your fault
__________________
Take your fidget spinner and smite me.
Potatosack is offline  
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #80
MascaraSnake
aka SpiritCrusher
Moderator
 
MascaraSnake's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulman Model CE View Post
Now all I want is for this thread to just disappear so nobody has to see it, because all it's doing is letting people have fun at my expense.
Let me do the next best thing and lock it, because I think by now everyone agrees that there's no point in continuing this.
MascaraSnake is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.