SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Characters

Dirk The Husky Details »»
Dirk The Husky
Developer Last Online: Dec 2017

Category: Version: SRB2 Rating: (13 votes - 4.54 average)
Released: 10-11-2017 Last Update: Never Installs: 4
Characters SOCs Scripts Sprites/Graphics

Long waited for another character to play as, here's Dirk The Husky!

He's got the same speed as Knuckles, but has many aerial tricks up his sleeves. But they are limited so you have to plan your moves to get across some obstacles.

Abilities:
Ice Platforms: (Jump in mid-air)
Dirk can spawn 3 platforms when he is off the ground. Use it to get across large gaps. This causes less friction when you're on them.

Ice surf: (Spin while running over runspeed)
Dirk will ride across an ice trail that can also be used to get across large open areas. Press and holding Jump while ice surf is used will ascend you to the sky. To cancel, simply release Spin or release it while holding Jump to perform a jump after ending Ice surf. Pressing Spin while going under the runspeed while cause Dirk to go into his spin state.

Ice run: When touching water, Dirk will run across the water while spawning ice trails.

Ice ring (Match exclusive):
Instead of a red ring. Dirk will shoot an ice ring that freezes players when it makes contact. While frozen, players can mash buttons to reduce the time of the freeze effect. Also, frozen players can shoot others to avoid being hit after being thawed out and they are also invincible during the freeze effect.

Extras:
Dirk is also available for Top Down.
A new command "specialcolor" is a command that changes Dirk's skincolor to more of a black with a blue tint color.

Changelog:
Spoiler:

1.1.1 (11/1/17)
Fixed an issue where Dirk was invulnerable to certain projectiles (e.g. eggman's laser in GFZ3)
Players using ice surf in analog mode now face the direction of their momentum

1.1.0 (10/31/17)
Ice surfing over moving FOFs is more reliable (it still freaks out in some cases, but most floors can be stably surfed over)
Walking and running on rising water is much less spazzy
Spawning ice platforms while at high speeds is much safer
The tail of Dirk's ice trail becomes intangible while fading away, making it much less of an obstruction
Dirk no longer regenerates ice surf while standing on an ice platform
Ice surfing from an ice platform no longer resets Dirk's ice platform count
Added lots of checks to the ice ring script to reduce the number of warnings that can appear
Modified the way the ice shards are positioned when players are frozen; they should not disconnect from moving players anymore
Fixed a small issue regarding aerial ice surf rising upwards slightly when not holding jump
Dirk now has full compatibility with SRB2 Top Down, as well as a victory sound effect!
Dirk has a new dusk blue coloration! If you want to play as Dirk in the regular black, you can use the "specialcolor" command to turn it off or back on again

1.0.1 (10/11/17)
Fixed the warning that appears when Dirk falls into a pit
Speed shoes no longer throw the player off ice surf at top speed
Freezing players now awards the attacker with points
Non-ice ring projectiles thrown by players on the same team as a frozen player can now break that player free and also gain them points
Resolved a sprite conflict between MonitorsPlus and Dirk (Jeck will need to update the ice platform MD2)
removed herobrine xd

1.0.0 (10/10/17)
Initial release

Credits:
Spriters:
MotorRoach = Sprite help and Ice surf platform sprite
Zhire/STCPhoton = Ice surf platform sprite help

Coders:
HellHawkX = drown lua
Lach = Ability coder and mostly everything coding related
Lat' = Red ring mobjthinker
RedEnchilada = Spindash lua
Prisima = Ice ring lua
Sapheros = Bugfixing the drown lua

Special thanks:
Inazuma/Speedwagon = Ice surf idea
Potatosack = Signpost idea

Download Now

File Type: zip Dirk_v1-1-1.zip (235.6 KB, 573 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20008.png
Views:	3588
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	11699   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20009.png
Views:	467
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	11700   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20010.png
Views:	455
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	11701  

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• This addon may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without the author's permission.

Comments
Old 10-14-2017   #22
Simon_T
Pyro the Hedgehog

I can't use the Ice Surf through the air when Super
Can you fix it?
Old 10-14-2017   #23
Lach
Latch? Lock?? Lack???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon_T View Post
I can't use the Ice Surf through the air when Super
Can you fix it?
Ice surf has always been usable when super. We did recently fix an issue where Dirk would sometimes fall off though. Make sure you have the latest version!
Lach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017   #24
SirMania

Default Great Sprites!

Dirk has so many "COOL" sprites and animations that it just makes me want to chuckle!

Wad Rate: 8/10
SirMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017   #25
frozenLake

While not truely a bug, this has raised a question in my head, to the point of madness.

How is it that Dirk's Ice platforms are not affected by Monitors Plus, while any other wad that happens to use the ICET sprite set will affect them? Like, this behavior seems to be exclusive to Monitors Plus in regards to Dirk, and it just... doesn't make a lick of sense. I've looked through the code, and I can't find anything that would result in this special behavior.

Please, someone explain this.
frozenLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017   #26
Lach
Latch? Lock?? Lack???

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenLake View Post
While not truely a bug, this has raised a question in my head, to the point of madness.

How is it that Dirk's Ice platforms are not affected by Monitors Plus, while any other wad that happens to use the ICET sprite set will affect them? Like, this behavior seems to be exclusive to Monitors Plus in regards to Dirk, and it just... doesn't make a lick of sense. I've looked through the code, and I can't find anything that would result in this special behavior.

Please, someone explain this.
I can't seem to get MonitorsPlus to affect Dirk either, and I too am definitely confused. However, I have seen it affect him before, strangely. The sprite issue has already been resolved for the next patch (if there ever is one) in any case.
Lach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017   #27
Dying Dark
I'm AWESOME... I know

10.5/10
One of the best character wad I've ever seen. Loved that it doesn't just walk on water but walks on ice trail made when running on water.
Would love to see super form... Infinite ice platforms.. ice surfing.. perma ice?... automatic frozen ring...

Last edited by Dying Dark; 10-21-2017 at 04:33 PM. Reason: English is funny
Dying Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017   #28
Simon_T
Pyro the Hedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Dark View Post
10.5/10
One of the best character wad I've ever seen. Loved that it doesn't just walk on water but walks on ice trail made when running on water.
Would love to see super form... Infinite ice platforms.. ice surfing.. perma ice?... automatic frozen ring...
Just open it with any WAD editor and add this to his S_SKIN lump:

Code:
flags = SF_SUPER
Old 10-31-2017   #29
DirkTH
The Snoggo

Happy Halloween everyone! Dirk got an update that fixes more bugs and adds in a new command, as well as being 100% compatible for Top Down!

1.1.0 Changes

Ice surfing over moving FOFs is more reliable (it still freaks out in some cases, but most floors can be stably surfed over)
Walking and running on rising water is much less spazzy
Spawning ice platforms while at high speeds is much safer
The tail of Dirk's ice trail becomes intangible while fading away, making it much less of an obstruction
Dirk no longer regenerates ice surf while standing on an ice platform
Ice surfing from an ice platform no longer resets Dirk's ice platform count
Added lots of checks to the ice ring script to reduce the number of warnings that can appear
Modified the way the ice shards are positioned when players are frozen; they should not disconnect from moving players anymore
Fixed a small issue regarding aerial ice surf rising upwards slightly when not holding jump
Dirk now has full compatibility with SRB2 Top Down, as well as a victory sound effect!
Dirk has a new dusk blue coloration! If you want to play as Dirk in the regular black, you can use the "specialcolor" command to turn it off or back on again

>Kitty: sans undertale?
>DirkTheHusky: ness earthbound
DirkTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017   #30
DirkTH
The Snoggo

Oh boy, a patch fix that fixes more bugs.

1.1.1 Changes

Fixed an issue where Dirk was invulnerable to certain projectiles (e.g. eggman's laser in GFZ3)

>Kitty: sans undertale?
>DirkTheHusky: ness earthbound
DirkTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017   #31
GreenKnight9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkTH View Post
Oh boy, a patch fix that fixes more bugs.

1.1.1 Changes

Yay!
I have an idea: Make Dirk slide faster when on ice (also, Super sprites when? :P)
Old 11-04-2017   #32
Speedster 'Lloyd' Dasher
Think Faster? Go Faster!

I may be thinking about making my own character mod. This one has inspired me quite a lot so thank you DirkTH. I might make my avatar first. I don't know. Please support me. I'm no the best spriter. I can edit base sprites or sonic sprites to kind of how I want him but it isn't the best. When I first upload my sprite I would like you to be honest with me. Also add your own adaptations to the sprite. Thank you.
Speedster 'Lloyd' Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #33
Victor Sthang
Ha Ha Ha! That's laughable!

If i could describe this WAD in a single word
It would be Amazing.
This is such an creative and fresh character to play as, the sprites, the character itself and the visuals are so great to look at, the abilities are so fun to use and play around with
I loved the Ice abilities, they're pretty unique to SRB2 in my opinion as i've didn't see any kind of Ice Based characters anytime around SRB2.

Anyways
This is an amazing character
I'm happy this got released at MB
Keep up your work great work.