SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Characters

SRB2 =Metroid Edition= Samus Aran[UPDATE 1] (Samus.wad) Details »»
SRB2 =Metroid Edition= Samus Aran[UPDATE 1] (Samus.wad)
Version: Update 1, by Golden Shine (Your golden angel arrives!) Golden Shine is offline
Developer Last Online: Oct 2017

Category: Version: SRB2 Rating: (6 votes - 5.00 average)
Released: 06-16-2017 Last Update: Never Installs: 5
Characters Scripts Sprites/Graphics

Last summer I've played a classic Zandronum mod called Metroid Dreadnought for the first time...and with me being a huge Metroid/SRB2 geek, I couldn't help but feel inspired to bring Samus Aran to the strange world of SRB2! Obviously, SRB2 is a whole different beast from the likes of standard DOOM and Metroid, so a lot of work needed to be done to make it work. But I think I got it to work out in the end! You guys can judge, though, 'cause I'm releasing this early to celebrate Metroid Prime 4 and Metroid: Samus Returns!

CHECK OUT THE TRAILER!

The wad teaches you how to play as you go and unlock powers one at a time, so you should be able to ease yourself into it even if you've never played Metroid games. If it's STILL overwhelming, well....then check out the google docs! It has info on the controls, all upgrades, console commands, multiplayer damage, advanced techniques, etc!

GOOGLE DOCS (Info/Controls/Commands/Etc)

For example, I bet a select few of you will want to use the SWAPFIRE command to swap FIRE and NORMALFIRE.

Spoiler: Update 1 Changelog

I'm so sorry for making you all update, but a gamebreaking bug showed up and it'd be terrible of me to just leave it in. But hey, I added some new features too to make up for the inconvenience. ^^;

●Charge Beam now attracts ammo/health pickups.
●Holding the scores button now brings up Samus' equipment screen in Single Player.
SamusPowerDrop command added. It's an admin-only command that can drop any individual powerups or tanks, including Energy Tanks.
●Monitors broken by Sonic characters in coop will now respawn too, so you no longer need to yell at other players for breaking them.
●You need Super Missiles/Powerbombs to break Knuckles-only walls now. Bombs/missiles still work on spinbustables, though!
●Fixed permanent Screw Attack invulnerability/reflect exploits.(Basically why I updated)
●If you fail to charge your beam all the way, you'll now fire a normal shot instead of nothing.
●Samus now starts with 50 health if she enters a new level with less.
●Sonic characters can now kill Samus in Match, and generally shouldn't cause as many bugs. I still wouldn't call it balanced, though.
●Tweaked balance. Some enemies do more or less damage, some have more resistance to Samus' attacks, Super Missiles only do 2x damage on bosses now, Powerbombs do 3x, some minor Match multiplayer balance tweaks, monitor drop rate has been slightly tweaked, etc.
●Some other minor fixes.

Unfortunately I could not fix the Morph Ball getting stuck on ramps glitch when going very fast. It's a bug with SRB2's scaling in general, not Samus specifically.

Download Now

File Type: zip Samus.zip (1.70 MB, 1432 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20061.jpg
Views:	853
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	10727   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20031.jpg
Views:	998
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	10728   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20054.jpg
Views:	751
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	10729   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20027.jpg
Views:	751
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	10730   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20073.jpg
Views:	788
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	10731  

Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20059.jpg
Views:	648
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	10732   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAMSCHAR.png
Views:	5082
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	10733  

Show Your Support

• This addon may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without the author's permission.

Comments
Old 07-05-2017   #42
Golden Shine
Your golden angel arrives!

Thanks a lot for the advice! I'm a mindlessly bumbling idiot when it comes to working on HUD stuff. The only way I get anything done at all is by constant trial and error until I seem to get things where I want them....and then figure out it still breaks in netplay/splitscreen/weird resolutions/certain addon combinations. It's been a nightmare, but I plan on addressing as much as I can in future updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Lat'" View Post
Sometimes I find myself farming a monitor for a power up I want to have only because it keeps giving me pickups I already have maxed out (missiles/morphball bombs). Maybe adding checks on the player's arsenal to prevent such scenarios would be good.
Everything Samus gets is a luxury, so not getting exactly what you want on the first try shouldn't be an issue. There's already checks for some monitors that basically guarantee powerup drops depending on the player arsenal, but that's not the case for more rare/powerful drops. If I guaranteed drops for everything depending on what you had, you could be at full power easily at the end of GFZ2. Getting too much ammo should be an encouragement to use missiles/powerbombs. They are still stronger, after all. Only giving you tanks/powerups just because you're stingy and maxed out would be nuts. Also, respawning monitors are only in multiplayer coop. You won't get that luxury in Single Player. Now I could make monitors ricochet shots from players who've already opened them before in coop, but I feel like that goes a bit too far just to prevent camping...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Lat'" View Post
I also don't know how difficult it would be to implement, but having a system that saves your abilities similar to KeepStuff.wad if you are to get synched out of a netgame would be very neat, as I can see stuff being very detrimental to a player who just got a fully powered suit and happens to get synched out because someone has terrible internet.
If I can do it, I more than happily will! Been looking into something like that for the autospeedbooster and swapfire commands too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axonic View Post
This wad is amazing, man! I remember hearing about the Metroid Dreadnaught mod and being disappointed that I couldn't buy the game required to play the mod. But you, Golden Shine, made my dreams come true! I've played this mod a lot, and I gotta say, you did an excellent job!

I do wonder what your future plans for the mod may be. You plan on adding stuff? Or just a couple of bug fixes and balances to the character? Possibly even... including her grappling beam?
Thanks a ton, I'm glad to make people happy! I've been thinking about the Grapple Beam, but I feel like in this kind of game it'd be waaaay overpowered. I could limit it's use, maybe, but how? Grapple Beam "ammo"? In general a powered up Samus already borderline breaks SRB2....still, that said, I do have at least one little extra ability in mind. Also been considering beam combos like in Metroid Prime, but ooooo boy....would be a bitch to balance those....

SRB2 Metroid Edition(Samus.wad)
Golden Shine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017   #43
Flare957
Screw gravity

There seems to be an issue when it comes to playing as Samus in pre-2.1 Special Stages. Not matter how many rings you collect, you'll never reach the requirement. Any way to fix that?
Flare957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017   #44
Legendary Emerald
The Slam Jam Manly Man

This is probably a bad question, but when did SRB2 stop allowing save files when character WADs are loaded in? I'd love to play through all of the game with Samus, but I'm not up to doing it all in one run. Is this problem local to me, or does everyone experience it?
Legendary Emerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017   #45
Golden Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flare957 View Post
There seems to be an issue when it comes to playing as Samus in pre-2.1 Special Stages. Not matter how many rings you collect, you'll never reach the requirement. Any way to fix that?
Since Samus doesn't use the ring system, it simply never counts rings. Pre-2.1 special stages never even came to my mind since they're not used anymore. That said, I know some ways to get around this, so it'll get fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendary Emerald View Post
This is probably a bad question, but when did SRB2 stop allowing save files when character WADs are loaded in? I'd love to play through all of the game with Samus, but I'm not up to doing it all in one run. Is this problem local to me, or does everyone experience it?
It's been an issue for a long time. If the game thinks it's modified, it simply refuses to save anymore.(though you can cheat this limitation by adding a character and then some mod with a custom save) Even if this wasn't a thing, though, the problem is that it won't save any Lua data anyway, so you'd still spawn without all your collected powerups.

Closest thing you can do is use the level select and SamusPowerDrop command to bring you to the level you used to be in and give yourself the powerups you used to have.

Old 07-22-2017   #46
Rumia1
Backseat Developer

Alright so I've just come back to play this wad once again, I figured something like Mystic Realm would be good to play through with it since it feels very exploration heavy.

Within the first level I went out of my way to find every single monitor I could and get what I could from them. Out of all the monitors I destroyed only one of them had an upgrade (the Ice beam) and two of them had missile drops, not expansions, drops. The rest consisted entirely of just gold health pickups.

Please increase the rarity of these golden health drops and maybe swap their chances of dropping with the purple health drops.

Also, I'd like to report a bug that the high-jump doesn't actually make you jump any higher than usual, it just gives you the spring ball ability and that's it.

One last thing, could you make it so that energy tanks perminantly increase your health in Single Player and make them the only thing that drop from 1-up monitors? perhaps making it so that you don't actually die from pits and such and instead get warped back to the last checkpoint you touched with a chunk of your health taken away? I played through the entire single player campaign and I had an incredible amount of difficulty defeating the final boss even though I went out guns blazing with super missiles and power bombs.
Rumia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017   #47
who-what-where-whale
who-what-where-whale

I just finished the vanilla map-pack with Samus and holy crap do I love this WAD. The way that most SRB2 maps are made translates very well to a Metroid-y character. The way the upgrades work makes me actually want to explore the levels, and when I got a fully powered-up suit in CEZ2 and that pumped-up brinstar music started playing I got the most amazing sense of joy and awe.
I had a blast playing this, but I do have a bit of feedback and nitpicks. First of all, as other people have stated, some of the upgrade items' icons don't make sense. Second of all, increase the amount of height the springball can jump, because in Metroid 2 and Super Metroid the high-jump boots increase the springball jump height as well as the regular jump height, and in Zero Mission the High-Jump boots grant the springball, and its jump-height is as high as regular high-jump-height. Third of all, is there a way to diagonal shinespark? I know you can do it vertically and horizontally but I couldn't do it diagonally.
Old 07-25-2017   #48
Rumia1
Backseat Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by who-what-where-whale View Post
Third of all, is there a way to diagonal shinespark? I know you can do it vertically and horizontally but I couldn't do it diagonally.
All you have to do is press back instead of forward to diagonal shine spark, this doesn't work in analog mode though (and really, why would it?)
Old 08-04-2017   #49
Golden Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumia1 View Post
Within the first level I went out of my way to find every single monitor I could and get what I could from them. Out of all the monitors I destroyed only one of them had an upgrade (the Ice beam) and two of them had missile drops, not expansions, drops. The rest consisted entirely of just gold health pickups.
Sounds like really specific RNG. I'll continue to fine-tune monitor drops bit by bit.

Quote:
Also, I'd like to report a bug that the high-jump doesn't actually make you jump any higher than usual, it just gives you the spring ball ability and that's it.
Are you absolutely sure? I have GIFs from the current Samus version with the High Jump and without the High Jump and it works exactly like it should. Did you add any other wads other than Samus and Mystic Realm that could've interfered somehow?

Quote:
One last thing, could you make it so that energy tanks permanently increase your health in Single Player and make them the only thing that drop from 1-up monitors?
I'll keep it in mind, at least for the Single Player campaign. For the final boss, I suggest saving your powerbombs/super missiles for the last few hits to kill him before he can blast you off the stage.

Old 08-04-2017   #50
Rumia1
Backseat Developer

Sorry, the high jump not working was a bug with one of the wads I'm working on that I always load with the game and I just realised that it was the cause a few days ago when working on something else.