Old 10-15-2017   #41
Yoshirocks90
Eh, maybe later.

It's like that on my laptop as well.
Yoshirocks90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017   #42
Yoshirocks90
Eh, maybe later.

Well... I ran into a few problems, but everything's going nicely.
Old 10-25-2017   #43
Yoshirocks90
Eh, maybe later.

Default Grassy Fields Is Making Progress

Here's some new progress on GTZ:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20000.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	11830   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20002.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	11832   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20004.jpg
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	11834   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20006.jpg
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	11836   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20008.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	11837  

Name:	srb20010.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	11838   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20012.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	11839  
Old 10-26-2017   #44
Yoshirocks90
Eh, maybe later.

Well, although it's still in progress, I've been messing with lighting a bit. (Ignore the circular wall in the back, those are extra sectors I haven't deleted yet)

Basically, what's happening here, is there's the natural light that enters the temple that's fading, and a torch that provides light in the darkening corridor, and they eventually fade together in some spots.

This is still in progress, especially since there's going to be a second torch, as per the rest of the temple, so there's going to be light fading from three different sources in the same area.

In other news, but still related to GTZ... I intend to make GTZ a pack of 13 levels. Of course, it'll be over time. The reason I'm doing this is that I felt adding secrets and emblems to my maps was pointless without having something unlocked for it, since otherwise there would be no reason to collect them.

After all, why would you collect a bunch of emblems, with the only purpose for doing so being just so that you can say "Hey, look, I got all the emblems!"? It's practically pointless. So there'll eventually be three main acts, and 10 levels that can be unlocked by either completing levels or collecting emblems, so that there's a purpose for collecting everything.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sc_GrassyTempleZone at 2017.10.26 19-05-20.822 [R2501].jpg
Views:	376
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	11855   Click image for larger version

Name:	sc_GrassyTempleZone at 2017.10.26 19-05-39.442 [R2501].jpg
Views:	366
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	11856  
Old 10-27-2017   #45
Jazzz
Crazy Cat Guy

I'd recommend you using smoother sectors. Circles of 24 sides, for example, will make that light effect look better.
Jazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017   #46
Yoshirocks90
Eh, maybe later.

The light looks good already, though... in map, I can barely make out the edges between light levels, and that's if I actually try to see it.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #47
Yoshirocks90
Eh, maybe later.

Just a little announcement; Grassy Temple Zone is being put off until I regain my motivation. In the mean time, I'm experimenting with slopes in a test map. Once I'm done experimenting, I should be able to come up with actual uses for slopes in my maps. I'll post screenshots every so often to show my experiments, and possibly make it downloadable so that everyone can see it from more angles than screenshots provide.

Also, just in case anyone has any use for this... I made a simple equation for "cloning" a slope. So say you have a small slope, and you want it to be larger, but at the same angle. This works for that purpose.

S2E = (S1E - S1S) x (S2W / S1W) + S2S

Of course, I also have an example:

SLOPE 1:
Start: 24 (S1S)
End: 56 (S1E)
Width: 64 (S1W)

SLOPE 2:
Start: 56 (S2S)
End: 984 (S2E)
Width: 1856 (S2W)

"Start" is the height at the lower end of the slope
"End" is the height at the upper end of the slope
"Width" is how wide the slope is (in the direction of the slope)

So, using the example, what I was trying to find was the end height of the second slope so that it had the same angle as the first.

With the known information, this is the equation:

S2E = (56 - 24) x (1856 / 64) + 56

This equals 984, which made both slopes have the same angle.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #48
Yoshirocks90
Eh, maybe later.

Default My Slope Tests

To be honest, I'm kinda proud of myself for doing this, mainly because I didn't need help on it.

So, yeah, I still need to mess around with it, and see if I can get it to work better, but it's functional, if buggy. I also have the wad, so if you want to try it yourself, you can, as well as see what else I've done. (Don't expect much, though)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	srb20045.gif
Views:	225
Size:	2.45 MB
ID:	11920  
Attached Files
File Type: zip TestSlope.zip (26.3 KB, 31 views)
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #49
Lach
Latch? Lock?? Lack???

It's Sonic 06 all over again!

Lach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #50
Yoshirocks90
Eh, maybe later.

All I can say is to disable your flipcam, at least for now. I plan to make it "retain" your speed after the flip with a speed pad. I'll probably try to make it a full loop.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #51
Sapheros
That guy that ports

This is a nice effort and all, but you're still trying to play with a Doom limitation that we all honestly don't mind. Loops in 3D are pointless to level design because cameras aren't easily capable of following the player through the whole thing, not to mention almost every 3D loop is automated so its not a broken buggy gimmick, its still pointless either way.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #52
742mph
I make Sonic look like me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapheros View Post
This is a nice effort and all, but you're still trying to play with a Doom limitation that we all honestly don't mind. Loops in 3D are pointless to level design because cameras aren't easily capable of following the player through the whole thing, not to mention almost every 3D loop is automated so its not a broken buggy gimmick, its still pointless either way.
The thing about loops in 3D that makes them the most pointless is that the third dimension usually lets you just jump through them instead of running all the way around them. This prevents them from fulfilling their main function in the classic games, which was being a barrier that requires an amount of speed to clear, or else you'll just slide back down the loop.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #53
Yoshirocks90
Eh, maybe later.

I'm making it in 3D so I can get a good look at it. If it works properly, I intend to use it in 2D in a map.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #54
RomioTheBadass
PK3 Fetishist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 742mph View Post
The thing about loops in 3D that makes them the most pointless is that the third dimension usually lets you just jump through them instead of running all the way around them. This prevents them from fulfilling their main function in the classic games, which was being a barrier that requires an amount of speed to clear, or else you'll just slide back down the loop.
Modern Sonic titles (at least after Sonic Adventure 2) get around this issue by forcing player to go through the loop using what's called Splines, as soon as you step near the loop, you are forced to run through it to get to the other side, as long as it's done so fast that it doesn't really interrupt anything and visually looking good it's perfectly fine to have them in 3D.
RomioTheBadass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #55
742mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomioTheBadass View Post
Modern Sonic titles (at least after Sonic Adventure 2) get around this issue by forcing player to go through the loop using what's called Splines, as soon as you step near the loop, you are forced to run through it to get to the other side, as long as it's done so fast that it doesn't really interrupt anything and visually looking good it's perfectly fine to have them in 3D.
You can force the player to run through a loop in a 3D game, yes, but that turns it from an organic gameplay element into a scripted event, so even if running through the loop looks cool, it's still pointless from a gameplay perspective.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #56
Yoshirocks90
Eh, maybe later.

Guys, I'm only making it in 3D for the purpose of testing. If I actually use it in a level, it will be 2D. Actually, my main reason for making it is because it'll give me more experience with slopes, even if it isn't practical.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #57
742mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshirocks90 View Post
Guys, I'm only making it in 3D for the purpose of testing. If I actually use it in a level, it will be 2D. Actually, my main reason for making it is because it'll give me more experience with slopes, even if it isn't practical.
That all sounds fine. I was talking more about loops and the scripting thereof in official 3D Sonic games than about what you're working on.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #58
Yoshirocks90
Eh, maybe later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 742mph View Post
That all sounds fine. I was talking more about loops and the scripting thereof in official 3D Sonic games than about what you're working on.
I'm not sure this is the place for this, though.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #59
Yoshirocks90
Eh, maybe later.

Well, after regaining my motivation to work on the map (which is turning out nicely, IMO) I've run into a rendering problem:

However, this doesn't occur from a distance:

...and it doesn't happen when you're in it:

This is an OpenGL issue, so it won't affect anyone who plays in Software, but I want the map to work for both, especially since I use OpenGL (which I kinda have to, since software makes my computer lag)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	srb20611.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	11963   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20612.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	11964   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20613.jpg
Views:	77