Super Smash Bros [Wii U | 3DS]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only way you're going to get hit by a fully charged neutral B is if you're seriously not paying any attention or your shield was broken. Either way, you deserve whatever happens.

The only ridiculous thing Roy has on him is that he can potentially instant kill somebody with the first hit of his upB if he's at like 150% rage due to silly knockback shenanigans, and that's likely to be fixed with the next patch. Beyond that, Roy is a strong, well-built character, but he's strong in all the right ways. Versatile move kit, good KO power, good combo strings, good mobility and fairly good recovery. Comparatively, his playstyle is rather aggressive, and that's good; it's about time we had another competitively strong character that didn't rely on cheesing or gimmicks in its gameplan to be successful.

I highly doubt that. Peach's Up B, Mario's Up B, and Zero Suit Samus' Up B are all capable of the same things and they've been around since vanilla Sm4sh.

So regardless of attacking speed and signs, it's alright to have a move which can easily one hit kill at 0% or have an incredibly high kill rate between that and 50% regards of the character and the weight class?

When it's virtually impossible to be killed by this move at that percent unless you're doing something stupid or some freak accident happens, then yes.

Jigglypuff and Little Mac both have similar trump cards of their own, although the conditional requirements for each are different.

That is an issue which is game-breaking and can really affect the balance of that character when going up against other opponents to where it's not even funny.

I don't think so, no.

Falcon Punch does not even compare in terms of knockback at all at that percentage, in fact it's much weaker.

Falcon Punch charges much faster than that, so this is a weak comparison.

I'd rather have a character (top tier or not and with or without gimmicks) which actually requires practice and a good amount of skill to use, rather than having a character which is brutally strong at the start to the point which any person and their friend can just choose them, and just go with the flow and win with hardly any sort of practice most of the time.

This is a ridiculous hyperbole. This is not Brawl Metaknight we're talking about, Roy takes just as much skill to perform well with as the next top tier. Roy's main strengths come from sweetspotting and combos, and a good Roy has to be good at stringing together moves all while capitalizing on his sweetspots with good positioning.

Make a real case that he doesn't require effort to play, because I think this is just the salt talking right now.

Make no mistake that I do think Roy is top tier, but "balanced" is subjective to what you think Smash 4's standard for character power should be. If you think Sheik and Rosalina are balanced, then Roy certainly isn't that offensive at all, but if you think characters like Marth and Lucina are balanced, then it stands to reason that Roy isn't the only character that needs to be nerfed.

I highly doubt that. Peach's Up B, Mario's Up B, and Zero Suit Samus' Up B are all capable of the same things and they've been around since vanilla Sm4sh.

No, you've never seen anything like this. lol

Again, bound to be patched out.

So regardless of attacking speed and signs, it's alright to have a move which can easily one hit kill at 0% or have an incredibly high kill rate between that and 50% regards of the character and the weight class? That is an issue which is game-breaking and can really affect the balance of that character when going up against other opponents to where it's not even funny.

During the event of Roy charging neutral B, Ganondorf could slowly walk up to him and reverse warlock punch Roy in the face before nB is fully charged. Alternatively, have you considered not approaching Roy? The only way this move could hit at full charge is if the other player is blind or really, really, really, really, REALLY bad at the game. In which case, them losing the match because of it is the least of their concern, and also yes in fact funny.

Smash Bros does not require you approach your opponent like a magnet.

And yes, I have tried out Roy out plenty of times to notice these things. I think with decreased knockback power at least, I would tolerate Roy much more than I do now.

Tip of Roy's sword has dramatically decreased knockback.

When it's virtually impossible to be killed by this move at that percent unless you're doing something stupid or some freak accident happens, then yes.

Jigglypuff and Little Mac both have similar trump cards of their own, although the conditional requirements for each are different.

I don't think so, no.

Falcon Punch charges much faster than that, so this is a weak comparison.

This is a ridiculous hyperbole. This is not Brawl Metaknight we're talking about, Roy takes just as much skill to perform well with as the next top tier. Roy's main strengths come from sweetspotting and combos, and a good Roy has to be good at stringing together moves all while capitalizing on his sweetspots with good positioning.

Make a real case that he doesn't require effort to play, because I think this is just the salt talking right now.

Make no mistake that I do think Roy is top tier, but "balanced" is subjective to what you think Smash 4's standard for character power should be. If you think Sheik and Rosalina are balanced, then Roy certainly isn't that offensive at all, but if you think characters like Marth and Lucina are balanced, then it stands to reason that Roy isn't the only character that needs to be nerfed.

I'm not primarily talking about charging speeds, I was mainly referring to knockback power in my last post. Charging speeds have nothing to do with that. Combos, I can agree with some extent, but have too powerful sweet spotting as a strength to make a character good?

Salt? Wow... If stating my reasoning of this character is salt, then god forbid what other characters I mention which are in the higher tiers. There are far more people (youtube is a good place to find salty people) who have some real salt problems for this game in particular.

I already started my reasons and I don't need to further justify it. After playing as him a lot to research this, and facing many of them online already (skilled and not as competitively skilled) I think it stands alone just how he plays, how easy he is to pick up, and combined with the overpowered knockback, how silly it is. You even mentioned briefly how he plays and it's those points which make him the way he is now. I have no idea why you are even bringing up Meta Knight from SSBB, but if you want to think that way, then yes I honestly think that's how it is with Roy.

I wouldn't say certain characters like Sheik and Rosalina are perfect (Especially Sheik) but with them you actually have to practice their close and zoning combat capabilities to get the best out of the pair of them, because otherwise they actually won't be able to do squat. Whilst I'm not personally a big fan of Lucina as just a character alone, something like her is what I like to look for in a balanced character in not just the move-set and their stats, the difficulty of executing moves and handling the character, but also how much you have to put in to get good as them is something I look for in a Smash Bros fighter. If there's one thing I do fully agree with you however is that Roy isn't the only character that needs to be nerfed in one or two areas. A few others also need it as well. Most of his actual moves are fine, but like I mentioned it's his knockback power in his moves that really need to be nerfed, especially in his sweetspots, then I would actually like Roy more as a character.

Last edited:
I have, actually. It's something I can recreate on a consistent basis, as a matter of fact. Peach has had this exact ability since the game first came out.

Interesting. Got a clip?

I have no idea why you are even bringing up Meta Knight from SSBB, but if you want to think that way, then yes I honestly think that's how it is with Roy.

Roy is not Brawl Meta Knight. In fact I don't think any character will ever come as close to his absurdity; pre-nerf Diddy was closer than Roy. The fact that you say otherwise kind of establishes my point that you're resorting to hyperbole.

You've already said you don't need to justify your reasons any further, so I guess I'll just stop there. But I will say that I don't think any character below Shiek should be nerfed; in fact, Roy, Shiek, Rosalina, are the general strength of characters that we should be aiming for. Smash 4 is a heavily defensive meta due to limited combos and strong shield/dodge options, and top tier aggressive characters counter-balance this because of the reward they get from their moveset. That means a lot of characters need to be buffed, of course, but I think that's better for gameplay.

I have no idea why you are even bringing up Meta Knight from SSBB, but if you want to think that way, then yes I honestly think that's how it is with Roy.

Meta Knight in SSBB invalidated most other characters because all his moves were fast, had decent disjoint, and had priority. Meta Knight could recover from anywhere with little risk, and his uair pulled him upward as well as its fast speed. It was safe both as a recovery tool and an Out-of-Shield tool which could combo into itself into a Shuttle Loop for the kill. Fighting MK relied exclusively on whether or not you were playing MK too.

SSBB became a game wherein either everyone played MK, or nobody did. There was no in-between.

If you're suggesting Roy invalidates the rest of the cast at such a severity that it mimics SSBB MK, then I would greatly appreciate if you could link to some recent tournament Roy vs Roy finals, the top 8 consisting of Roy, Roy, Roy, Pikachu, Roy, Sheik, Roy, and Roy.

Last edited:
Meta Knight in SSBB invalidated most other characters because all his moves were fast, had decent disjoint, and had priority. Meta Knight could recover from anywhere with little risk, and his uair pulled him upward as well as its fast speed. It was safe both as a recovery tool and an Out-of-Shield tool which could combo into itself into a Shuttle Loop for the kill. Fighting MK relied exclusively on whether or not you were playing MK too.

SSBB became a game wherein either everyone played MK, or nobody did. There was no in-between.

It's worth mentioning that some characters like Snake, Diddy, and IC went toe to toe with MK. But the characters that were competent against him were in the single digits. (and this is of a cast of 35 characters)

I like to call Metaknight the C-Stick with Wings, but you can also get a lot of work done by just spamming neutral B. Or you could just shark the stage indefinitely. Or cape stall.

Roy isn't as absurdly easy to use as you're making it out to be, Hyper. Mario can literally just utilt and uair out of grab repeatedly for early damage. Ness can PK fire and lead into dumb combos, plus he has one of the strongest kill throws. Lots of the top/high tier have tools that are easy to use.

Last edited:
That is a clip that works, yes. Not the one I was specifically referring to but it does work. This can be easily replicated by using Peach's up B below Jigglypuff, while facing the opposite direction of Jiggs.

icon_crafting_salt-3.png

When should we tell this guy about shield grabs and out of shield options? Or how Roy has to constantly put himself in unsafe ranges of other characters? Or his terrible recovery? Or the fact that he is combo food?

Nah probably not.

Last edited:
Shield grabs aren't really viable against Roy due to how much shield stun and pushback all his moves have. Everything else is a valid point.

This isn't Melee bro, the execution window for perfect shielding is pretty decent.

You're still expecting someone to be able to perfect-shield every move a very fast character throws out on reaction.

...Actually, yes. If you want to play the game competitively (ie. the only place where Roy is hypothetically as good as you claim he is), you're either expected to, or expected to fake it well enough that you avoid situations you'd be required to do it.

And the instant you DO do it, you can grab him and quickly learn that Roy's air game isn't quite as good as his ground game.

And if you're still having trouble, have you considered counter-picking a character specifically to deal with Roy if he's that big a deal? Samus? Megaman? Duckhunt? Marth?

I'd sooner counterpick with Rosalina than I would with any one of those, save for Megaman.

Except Rosalina is a very bad pick into Roy, or any sword character, really. Swords completely decimate her. Someone such as Marth or Link would be much better at dealing with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back