Suggestions

autoexec.cfg
alias fp "chasecam 0; bind x tp"
alias tp "chasecam 1; bind x fp"
bind x fp

You're welcome
bind x "toggle chasecam"

You're welcome

...It should be a thing that replays, time attack, etc don't mess with chasecam, though. Chasecam being on or off doesn't (or shouldn't, anyway) affect the replays being recorded, and having to set up a bind to circumvent that is only a band-aid solution.

Last edited:
How about increasing the cap for the acts in the level header? Instead of 19, how about it gets bumped to 30 or something like that?

Last edited:
What kind of zone is going to have that many acts?
Who knows? Not from me sorta... I'm working on my "project" and one secret from the project is something like Episode Metal from Sonic 4. Insted of saying "Generic Name Zone Act 1", it'll say "Episode Metal Act 1" with the zone name being the subtitle. It's a little similar to Eggmanway 5.

But that's not the reason why I suggested more acts, I suggested this because somebody else from the community might be making a 21 act zone or somebody else might use the same idea I have in store.

A way to have the Special Stage Tokens send you to x special stage instead of it being in order. Maybe by using the angle flags to determine which special stage to go to or something?
Code:
"Angle: -1" = Default
"Angle: 0" = Always the 1st Special Stage.
"Angle: 1" = Always the 2nd Special Stage.
etc.
Don't suppose it could be something like this via headers if one wishes have the special stage reward only that colored emerald always for that special stage. *Like how the advance games use. You know Zone 1 being always the Red Emerald, Zone 2 always being the Blue Emerald, etc.* Perhaps by using "Emerald = ?" for headers? If you want to have it reward the emeralds in order just have it set as -1.
Code:
Emerald = -1 *Default*
Emerald = 0 *Always gives the Green Emerald.*
Emerald = 1 *Always gives the Orange Emerald.*
Emerald = 2 *Always gives the Purple Emerald.*
etc.
Now a example when using it via level headers. Not sure if you need the other stuff for it if using the default SS maps.
Code:
#Special Stages
Level 50
MusicSlot = 50
SkyNum = 50
Weather = 0
LevelSelect = 0
TypeOfLevel = 4099
TimeAttack = 0
[B]Emerald = 1

[/B]Level 51
MusicSlot = 50
SkyNum = 51
Weather = 0
LevelSelect = 0
TypeOfLevel = 4099
TimeAttack = 0
[B]Emerald = 2[/B]
It might already be possible to do this using custom exits, but you're still using the *Get x amount of rings and get whatever colored emerald your going for* setting so even if you have it set to go to the 7th Special Stage and you have no emeralds. You'll just get the 1st emerald for clearing it.

Hmm... A new game style called Moshpit. Imagine your playing a round in Meadow Match Zone (Regular Match) and when the round ends the engine randomly selects a map from every map in the game. Let's say it picks Twisted Terminal at random. So now your playing a CTF match. Or it could picks a racing level, or even another match round.

The reason why I suggest a Moshpit style is whenever I host a game and the round ends, I have people arguing over what kind of game we should play next. If I choose something somebody doesn't like, they leave the server, which could cause other people to leave.

The reason why I suggest a Moshpit style is whenever I host a game and the round ends, I have people arguing over what kind of game we should play next. If I choose something somebody doesn't like, they leave the server, which could cause other people to leave.

Not sure if that would really solve the problem. People could still leave the server if they find they don't like the gametype chosen, only there it would be randomly chosen.

Why not make Tag more Tag-Like? So instead of being more like hide and seek, players run away from it, and if it tags someone, they're it!

Why not make Tag more Tag-Like? So instead of being more like hide and seek, players run away from it, and if it tags someone, they're it!

Touchtag on, you're welcome!

Anyway, my default monitor resolution is 1440x900 and when I try to use it in SRB2 the text is so small I have to get as near to the monitor as possible. I saw that Community Build had it fixed, how about doing the same? 600x400 is nice but undetailed and ugly in some places.

The master server 'just' needs to handle connection handshaking so that port forwarding isn't required.

Good idea. All we need is a bruteforce-autocracker for the router configuration website if UPnP is deactivated as it should be.

That's insane mun. Hope that's a bad joke.

--

Authenticate netgamers against the forum database. Keep usernames consistent for one, and perhaps add statistics - looking at the example of most multiplayer games now-a-days, they encourage a lot more activity.

Make PAUSEPERMISSION only adjustable by the server and add a third value that only allows the server to pause, providing insurance against (cough) "accidents" that leave the game paused and stuck.

This has probably been said a million times, but PLEASE GET RID OF THAT DAMNED MOWED TEXTURE IN GFZ.

IT'S JUST MISERABLE.

Now, however, I actually have a suggestion. Just replace it with a 2x scaled GRASS2 and it looks great.

VLA6uXh.png
HstNMkH.png
EAlN7eo.png
WlPhUpb.png

IMO, however, it looks even better with a 4x scaled GRASS2. I used no interpolation and it still looked brilliant.

RPPSaZF.png
kNfyVPm.png
PYSmquY.png
IUECGS1.png

An easy thing that just helps oh so much.

As much as I hate the GFZ grass, I'm not sure this is the right solution. Because it's so large, it looks odd is smaller areas, and it makes the Crawlas look positively tiny. But on a similar note, I recently tried modifying GFZ2 a bit to get rid of some of the issues I had with the stage. These changes are mostly minor, so that there's no excuse not to implement them, but I think they help a ton.

I straightened up the walls in the first room. As the first two screenshots in the post above me clearly demonstrate, the room looks utterly confusing in its current state. I blame all these arbitrary wall protrusions that serve no practical purpose and look absolutely disorienting because they are simultaneously very thin, extremely high and clad with a texture that tiles a lot, a deadly combination. But what's most important, they obscure part of the spring chain, which was always one of the most confusing parts of the level for me. In my modified version, the room has a lot more clarity, and because the walls are almost entirely straight, it should be easy to use the double-size GFZROCK texture on them, which would also reduce the issues with the massive tiling in that room.

I also slightly moved around the sector with the Attraction Shield and the wall adjacent to it, so that if you take the spring chain, it no longer looks like you're about to crash into the wall.

In the process of straightening up the walls, I also removed a part of sector 108 near the start point that didn't seem to serve any purpose. The whole "RedXVI picnic area" is now a bit empty, but that can easily be fixed by extending the grassy parts a bit.

I severely trimmed down sector 110, which is the sector that contains the last spring of the spring chain. This sector used to form a thin corridor that went in a circle around sector 436 (the solid cliff that stretches to the ceiling). This corridor contained absolutely nothing, went absolutely nowhere except in a circle, didn't allow you to see anything and generally only served to disorient players. So I gutted most of it, until only the part that holds the spring remained, as well as a small part adjacent to the spring that allows you to see the corral next to Knuckles' emblem, but not get up to it, just like in the original version.

Once the above sector was gone, I modified the layout of that whole Knux emblem area a bit to remove some other oddities, like the bizarre V-like shape of sector 65. What now remains is a small corridor that leads from the RedXVI picnic area to the emblem. The corridor is partially obscured by the walls surrounding it so that the emblem is still just as much hidden as it was previously, but once you've found it, you will no longer be totally confused by the nonsensical terrain layout all around you.

My other big pet peeve was the part that the moving platforms lead up, which is sector 112. It's this extremely high wall that divides the north and south areas of the map, basically. But you can also walk on it, and it extends in three direction: Backwards into the RedXVI picnic area, forwards to the cave that contains the Armageddon Shield (that Sonic can't really get to), and sideways to the river that leads into the last room from above. I've always found this section highly disorienting, because it doesn't stand out from the rest of the BROWNBROWNBROWN all around you and because it extends to into several directions all at once. So I took several steps to fix this:

I heavily modified the shape of sector 431, which is a solid slab of GFZROCK that extends to the sky. As you can see in DB, this sector extends heavily into sector 112, creating loose ends and leaving only a small strip that you can walk through. In my version, this sector is much smaller and snaps to sector 112 in such a way that it doesn't obscure anything. This goes a long way towards making the area more straightforward.

I cut off the parts that are adjacent to the river and lowered them until they were pretty much riverbanks. I also put some grass on them because hey, why not? The reason I did this was to make sector 112 more straightforward so that it's no longer a three-way intersection. But judging from several people's reaction in IRC (including at least one dev, Rob), they liked the riverbanks because it made the river itself less monotonous. In its current incarnation, you pretty much jump up there and thok against the stream, which I agree is tedious. My riverbanks don't really fix that, but with the addition of some other grassy areas alongside the river, you could create what are essentially "stepping stones" that allow the player to progress without fighting against the stream. The danger of falling into the river and being pushed back to where you came from would still be there, but it would be much more interesting overall while still keeping it entirely simple. But that's mostly besides my original point, which is to suggest changes to GFZ2 that are so tiny that there's pretty much no excuse not to implement them. If you want to preserve the river the way it is, you could just as well remove the part of the sector that I made into a riverbank entirely.

I added grass borders to the sector that hosts the Super Sneakers. Not really relevant, but for some reason they didn't have any despite having a grass floor. This makes it a bit more apparent to observant players that there's something up there. (I used to think it was just a part of the thok barrier for years, until I looked at the map in DB.

I inserted an FOF over the section where the river just kind of disappears into the wall (sector 270 and adjacent). In the current incarnation, the river creates a tiny cliff-like hole in sector 112 that isn't enough to fall through, but nevertheless looks kind of irritating. By inserting an FOF, I fixed that without changing anything at all.

Once I had done all of the above, I dragged some vertices around to make the shape of sector 112 more straightforward overall. These changes are small and probably not noticeable to anybody who doesn't look really hard, but I hope that it gives new players more of a "hmm, let's see what's on the other side of this cliff" vibe rather than the current "wtf am I walking on and where am I going?".

Yeah, I know that's a huge wall of text right there, which may lead you to think I did massive modifications, but I didn't. It's all very small and subtle, easy to implement, yet definitely helpful. The only reason there's so much text is because I wanted to explain precisely what I changed, where I changed it, how I changed it and why I changed it. Anyway, I hope the responsible parties take a look at this and think about it, and here's the map:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/27962790/lolgfz2.wad

I like the changes you've made here. Particularly the river bank. It really makes it clear that you're encouraged to go up there.

If we're talking about little necessary changes to GFZ2.

Fg0ef2t.png

The texture alignment here needs work.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back