Best way to clean a scratched disc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Manic_

Yeah. I've got my Megaman Anniversary Collection disc. There's only one problem. It's obviously scratched up, and won't load up on either the Wii or GCN. Does anyone have a solution that's best to clean discs? :|

_Manic_ said:
Yeah. I've got my Megaman Anniversary Collection disc. There's only one problem. It's obviously scratched up, and won't load up on either the Wii or GCN. Does anyone have a solution that's best to clean discs? :|
You get out a security-bit screwdriver (or a Philips) and a eraser butt, open it and rub the tabs until they shine like...oh wait that's how you clean an cartridge, oops. :P
You'll have to buy a CD cleaning kit for that, even the cheapest manual one will usually do the job. There's nothing laying around most house-holds that can clean a disk without hurting it in some stupid way. I did see one guy on Youtube use toothpaste to clean his CDs, xD but toothpaste is really abusive to the reading surface in the long run, though. Then there was one guy who used a sander on his XBOX disks, what a nut-job. XD

Dr. pepper, Wii and GCN disks spin the opposite direction then other discs, so most disc cleaners will damage them. However, I think that a manual hand crank disk cleaner might work if its spun backwards.

I was talking about the same thing you were, Automatic ones are too expensive for one-time cleanings.
Also, it doesn't actually matter what direction the discs are spun in. Think about it, how does it damage perfectly circular metal grooves in a disc to be spun the other way? You tell me.

Thanks. I might go for the manual spinner, if I don't find one, then I'll go for a spray one.

I saw a guy clean a disc with a banana.. Odd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE1gvaM3iAs
No matter how odd it seems, the method above supposedly works very well. His other videos (sans some of the April fools ones) have worked.
EDIT: You may want to test it out with a CD you don't like, will never use, or is empty first.
EDIT2: The ones that I have tried, at least. And I haven't tried very many.

I've heard that in a pinch, toothpaste is effective in eliminating scratches. If you're uncomfortable about smearing toothpaste on a CD, there are special cleaning/anti-scratching fluids that can be purchased. Both methods only work for mild scratches, though. If you have a long, deep scratch, it's best to just get a new CD.

Get a bottle of RainX or Turtle Wax, put some on the disc and spread it out with your finger from the center out. Wait a little for it to dry, and with something smooth like T-shirt material, wipe off the extra stuff.

I have cleaned discs simply by using a towel soaked in water (Not too wet though) and another dry towel to dry the water off the disc. It has worked for me before. . .

Well, my friend, Shanic (not from here, different one), had a scratched disk, and we used toothpaste, and it actually worked... on the small scratches. One was much too deep.

Toothpaste is really abrasive though, it eventually causes more scratches than it patches. You might as well be chewing on your disc. :P

I heard taking a banana peel? and rubbing your disk helps.

The potassium fills the disk.

Or you could look at Nintendo's guide to fix discs...

You might not want to use Alcohol, it could warp your discs over time! O_o' I've only used 95% Alcohol whenever I buy game carts with really dirty metal tabs.
I've heard some good things about using car polish, one guy even claimed to have gotten deep scratches patched up.

Dr.Pepper said:
You might not want to use Alcohol, it could warp your discs over time! O_o' I've only used 95% Alcohol whenever I buy game carts with really dirty metal tabs.
I've heard some good things about using car polish, one guy even claimed to have gotten deep scratches patched up.

Wait,What do you mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back