Runite City Park Zone (Match/Tag) v. 1.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

123 Runite

Wait for it... *BANG*
Runite City Park Zone is a Match level that is included in my MOD, World of 123 Runite (WO123R). Currently, the MOD is still in development and is a long way from being completed. I will not, however, provide a link to the past forum regarding WO123R. This topic should only be about Runite City Park, and nothing else. If you want to contact me in any way, please use the Private Message feature.

RCPZ, being a Match level, uncommonly has 2 acts. The first act is the park set in the daytime, while the second act is set in the nighttime. Both acts are exactly the same, however. There are no individual act secrets. All secrets are shown in both acts.

srb20000pz2.png

This is Runite City Park Zone Act 2 with the replaced torches, surrounding light, and the new shed.

Please note that this level wasn't intended for Hangout/RP purposes.

For more information, please check the MainCFG in the WAD.

Just like other released levels, constructive feedback is widely appreciated. Rules do still apply. If anyone else would like to provide more images for the other viewers, feel free to post them.

Download Link (v. 1.0)

Download Link (v. 1.1)

Code:
# Updates in 1.1
#  The ceiling has been raised to 2250.
#  The "Wait for it..." script has been deleted to prevent confusion between players.
#  Deleted some Park Benches and Tables to decrease some lag.
#  Decreased the brightness level of Act 2 from 200 to 144 and for shadows, decreased from
#   160 to 128.
#  All Gargoyles (ones on blocks) in Act 2 have been replaced with Torches.  Around each
#   torch, there are light spots.  This will help 'light up the night.'
#  Special Rings above big trees are only obtainable in Hard mode, while Special Rings
#   above the smaller trees are obtainable in Normal and Hard modes.
#  All GRASS2 textures (with flowers upon them) are raised to 16, and now one can stand on
#   it and sink down to the normal level of 0 i.e. tall grass.

Known bugs in v. 1.1
1. Any plants on the tall grass may disappear when the player overlaps them. This may be an SRB2 bug/malfunction, or there can't be such scenery on or in Linedef Type 56 (FOF: QuickSand).

What to expect in v. 1.2
1. As SonicMaster pointed out, and of course because it was in the WIKI, getting the ability to do a World of Pain will be impossible, as the Homing Ring will be taken out. Why the Homing Ring? The level is just too large. Some may think the Rail Ring, but the Rail Ring is more useful.

2. I'll attempt at shrinking the level a bit, perhaps by more than 50% (not resizing, but actually taking things out). That also means, I have to take pieces of scenery out too, as close packs of large scenery causes lag.

Oh, hello 123Runite. I haven't seen you post in a long time.

I'll go and try out this level in a moment...

(Offtopic)By the way, speaking of WO123, has Ocean Cove (or was it something like that?) been fixed so you can play it yet?(Offtopic)

EDIT: Well done. That is a fine match level that you've got there. The most suprising part was my discovery of those secret springs to get up some of the trees.

Hello Monster Iestyn.

123 Runite said:
This topic should only be about Runite City Park, and nothing else.

Anyways, I've been trying to fix up OCZ1 by fixing the sound problem. I'll try to get back to the unlockable thing later when I know what's causing it.

-123 Runite

I enjoyed this level, it's good for when there are lots of players in the game, as this was quite a spacious level. However a few comments:

Thok barrier to high, lower it so it doeesn't look the the park is surrouned by a high metal wall.

Raise the ceiling, when going on the red springs, you hit the ceiling.

Add some interesting inner sections, maybe like a shed, or a building of some sort. It would make the level less....flat.

Hope that helped

AH

First post has been updated.

The first post has been updated, again. The future version update list has been added to. If you can comment on the level, please do!

The current version is still 1.0. A future version will come out if more bugs are found. There are some bugs I already know of, and perhaps need some help fixing them:

*Texture errors are viewable if a player is at tree level (300->1000 units high) on one side of the level while viewing the other side of the level.
*There are texture errors above the thok barrier on a corner of the level (try testing all four corners).
*Level lag.

It's pretty basic, but it's very, very nice; though, it is going to be prone to some hangout -- it's plain to see, and there's not much you can do about that... but still, it's great. Disregarding the fact that some noobs are just going to use it to hangout in, you've got a map worthy of about an 8. In my opinion, the nighttime one needs to be a bit darker.

Also, I noticed you had something in your signature (earlier) about AP classes being challenging this year for you, and I was wondering; are they unbearably hard? I'm a freshman, and I don't have any this year, but I have one next year, and I'm a bit worried because it's in my worst subject: History. =|

First Post has been updated... again.

Hello Ash.

I've sent you a Private Message regarding the AP Classes. It is rather long, and I think you're read it already.

Why is the rating only an 8? I expected a 9 =P.

----------
Under Future Updates, 2 more things have been added. Please check the first post for those additions.

I know this may be a hangout map, as all scenic levels for noobs are to be treated as hangout maps instead of match/tag maps.

If you know which pieces of scenery are useless, tell me, as their deletion will help decrease level lag.

Remember, if you have anything to say about this, please do!

Oh and, if you can, add something to add lighting on the nighttime version. What I mean, is, some people use OpenGL. If you add some small pillars and place OpenGL lights (spread out of course, to prevent any more lag) on them, it'll really add contrast and positively affect the feel of the environment.

In regards to v. 1.1

The first post has been updated to reflect the current changes in the level.

Modifications and Additions

New image
Tagline directly below the image...

The Runite City Park in Runite City picture has been deleted as it took up too much space.

For more, just read the Expectations in 1.1 part of the post.

----------
Please, if you know what piece of scenery to take out to decrease the lag, please post it here.

So far, I've planned to take out some benches and tables. Anything else?

Good level, but...

This is my first post ever in this WHOLE forum! Here goes... Good that there's no HOM inside the trees like a certain official level, but I have one major issue. WORLD OF PAIN. Not good in my opinion. Unavoidable and extra extra large radius = bad. Not like the nuke shield, which spices things up, as it's radius is fair. And maybe place the springs and rings as separate things (3 ings!) so that the rings can respawn? Other than that, very good. Very, very good.

Version 1.1 is out

The first post has been updated. Expectations have been replaced with the updates, and the download link is directly below the 1.0 link.

The preview screenshot already depicts what the level already looks like.

Any feedback is appreciated, and it's too bad I can't put in a poll. Even with 2 options, it says there are too many options.

Re: Good level, but...

Kopper said:
This is my first post ever in this WHOLE forum! Here goes... Good that there's no HOM inside the trees like a certain official level, but I have one major issue. WORLD OF PAIN. Not good in my opinion. Unavoidable and extra extra large radius = bad. Not like the nuke shield, which spices things up, as it's radius is fair. And maybe place the springs and rings as separate things (3 ings!) so that the rings can respawn? Other than that, very good. Very, very good.

It says in the SRB2 Wiki to never use World of Pain when designing levels. It hurts the map much more than you would think.

Only one level has actual proper World of Pain placement (it wasn't even supposed to be possible), and that's Deathmatch Arena by Jazz.

Shrinkage, and perhaps an idea?

This level is way too large, unfortunately. I've just found that out now in a netgame with a private friend. It is very stressful just trying to find one target in such a large level. I can learn a lot from this, as this is only my first match level.

I'll attempt at shrinking the level a bit, perhaps by more than 50% (not resizing, but actually taking things out). That also means, I have to take pieces of scenery out too, as close packs of large scenery causes lag.

I (first post) said:
If this won't be in the MOD yet, however, the next version will be 1.2.
Because of this sudden experience, there will be a new version, yes 1.2.

----------
The picture in the first post is a great scene. Perhaps should everything else be cut off, except the area the picture depicts? Also, shall I add small chambers to the side to covert special rings?

NOTE: Please be aware that I regularly update the first post. Usually, if anyone has any suggestions, those suggestions will be put under the future updates/expectations section.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back