May/June 2010 Contest Voting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cyber Gauntlet by verifiaman - 9/10
THIS map has that special something. I've wanted to see the cyperspace theme in SRB2 for some time now, although I think Blade did it in single player once before. The one thing I would change would be to take the map out of the special stage format and make it a normal level instead.

Dude i did cyberspace like 2 times before! they werent that good but still!

And I had Upload Download Zone.

Also, the whole point of the level is that it's a race against the clock. Outside of special stages, the effect couldn't be done, at least not in the same way.

AAlso, the whole point of the level is that it's a race against the clock. Outside of special stages, the effect couldn't be done, at least not in the same way.
And that was part of its appeal, it didn't feel like a special stage but used its mechanics in another way. The more I think of it, the more brilliant the concept seems.

Crushers, flamethrowers, and lazers. For the latter two, I mostly just spammed invincibility time.
The crushers were perfectly avoidable, but I do agree with the other two ones.

Also, the whole point of the level is that it's a race against the clock. Outside of special stages, the effect couldn't be done, at least not in the same way.

There's a COUNTDOWN option in the map header for a reason, you know...

Crushers, flamethrowers, and lazers. For the latter two, I mostly just spammed invincibility time.

I don't really know what I was thinking when it came to the flamethrowers and lasers; it was a year ago after all. But yeah, the hallways that held them are too cramped and they each are very tightly placed.

Really, those two obstacles are the terrible result of laziness.

Sonic, software, third person. Single Player division only, as usual.

Dangerous Volcano Zone by Internet Explorer - 6/10

Half the time I had no idea what the hell was going on. First there was some auto segment, then I started getting pissed at the lava I couldn't stand on whilst not being able to comprehend buttons, then lava slide then morej buttgon ankd stufphleg

Look, my brain is tired and this is actually my fifth map into the pack today, so I'm just going to give you a six, alright? Have a six.

Buzzards Bay Zone, Act 1 by WEREHOG - 3/10

Well, it's not horrible, but it isn't really fun either. It seems like the only reason the enemies are so numerous is to annoy you; they don't actually pose a threat, nor do they really seem to actually have any particular function in the level aside from being something you can kill. Then there's a rectangular death pit separating the otherwise completely flat underwater ground, and another right at the end except it's textured as ground... neither of these make sense. There's also no checkpoints to be found anywhere in the level, for whatever reason.

Even if it weren't for those problems, though, I probably wouldn't like this all that much. The level's just got this cramped, linear feel to it, without any real sense of flow or exploration. I think at this point you understand how to make a level that looks and functions like a decent level, you just need to spend time into learning and thinking about what would be fun for the player.

Canyon Operation Zone by ComRante - 7/10

I'll be honest, this looked confusing as hell when I did my first trip through. Surprisingly, though, I didn't do any backtracking, so it's nice to see a map that can be complex and easy to follow in this division.

As far as gameplay is concerned, I have nothing major to complain about; all the elements and their execution are fairly run of the mill but fresh enough to be enjoyable. There was a specific room (can't remember where, but it wasn't too far into the level, and IIRC it was followed by a laser room) that was almost seizure inducing due to the entire room flashing a black light... I didn't really like that. I don't think I've seen everything in the entire zone, but I probably would if the background music didn't demotivate me. I like Sonic CD's US ost and all, but hearing the song fade out and loop again so many times gets pretty nerve-wracking. You should looppoint it, or better yet, use the Sonic the Hedgehog Boom album's version of Quartz Quadrant Future. There was also a sigsegv on my first playthrough, not sure if that's the wad's fault or not though.

There's a good deal of detail put into the aesthetics and theme; the whole level is structured and decorated nicely. The only thing I think would improve it is if SRB2's map header "weather" variable had an option for sandstorm or whirlwind.

Starlit City by Brawl - 2/10

Um.... Yeah, I dunno where to start with you. The ogg sounds like a midi run through XG software that didn't have high enough polyphony (unless that's just my own XG VSTi screwing with me). The sky looks weird. The level in general just looks like "durr generic buildings over a bottomless pit". A lot of cheap death potential (which I fell victim to a lot at the start). Some of the collapsing platforms don't make any sense whatsoever. I mean, how does an entire fuggin' building crumble when Sonic steps on it? I don't think any serious thought or effort went into this, so I won't go on.

Metropolis Sprint Zone by Whackjood - 5/10

Some honest platforming and interesting segments, but the production values overall feel pretty low. Aesthetics and themery are subpar, music isn't properly ported into the wad, and it felt pretty linear to me... Apparently, there are multiple paths, but all I really found were the parts where they joined back into the main path, not the parts where they started. That lead to confusion. Overall, the level just seems kind of rushed.

Cyber Gauntlet by verifiaman - 6/10

Pretty passable. What I think really saves this map is the fact that falling into a pit doesn't take away a life, otherwise I think it would have been needlessly frustrating. The time limit seems way too lenient though; once you understand and the map and adjust with the skills needed to beat it, you can easily kill the map before the timer reaches 200.

Visuals are decent, music choice seems fitting even though it it's clearly a 32-bit tune. The course is too short-lived, but I had fun playing whatever was there.

Hey guys. Custom music. LOOPPOINT. USE IT.

Last edited:
Ouch...a couple 3s, a 2, a 1, a 6 and an 8... I either really screwed up, made something good, or something downright decent. Looking back, I myself probably would've given it a 5/10 (yes, I know this vote won't count). I thought I did good, but looking back, I made some really poor design choices, like all the invisible walls, and the fact that it's not that long. Also, would someone please show me where you are able to accidentally skip a checkpoint?
Also, I have yet to play any of the maps. I'll get around to it after Independence Day passes.

Dangerous Volcano Zone 6/10
This map is a mixed bag, that’s for sure. For every good idea, there’s a bad one that negates it.

But, first and foremost, I have to cover the intro. The intro to this stage was just ridiculous, 30 seconds in which the player does not interact with the game at all. I feel that this introduction would have been better if the player just spawned on top of the red spring that launches them into the volcano, so that the sliding around on the rim was removed.

Another point of issue was this room here http://img816.imageshack.us/img816/3900/srb20000.png
When the player pushes the button, it is far easier to just jump on the platform instead of running to the yellow spring, in fact, taking the intended path (I presume) got me killed more often than just skipping it did. On the topic of rising lava, the second rising lava section catches the player by surprise. Forcing the player to rely on trial and error to learn what to do. I feel that the speed of the lava itself is fine, but, it really needs to start at a lower point, so the player has more time to react. Speaking of the buttons however, it needs to be clearer that those rocks are in fact buttons.

However, from that point onwards, the stage was surprisingly enjoyable. However, the rising platform gimmick was a bit over used, becoming stale and predictable and the blue colormap in the crystal cavern sections was just to strong, making it hard for the player to see where he is going and being painful on the eyes. But, on the other hand, the lava slide and the 2D section were both great fun and used the volcanic themes of the level for an original purpose.

That aside, this map felt like it would have been great, if it was made for another game. Have you done level design for another game? If so, it would explain a lot of the quirks in this stage.

Also, was there ever a purpose to this gargoyle? http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/3752/srb20001.png
It was a mystery to me, and I couldn’t find any use for it.

Buzzards Bay Zone, Act 1 4/10
Overall, your sense of scale just feels to small. You really need to work on a larger scale for your maps, as currently, everything is cramped.

But, that aside, you really need to tone down on the number of robo-fish you use in the water. While I’m aware that the player should only fall into the water if he or she makes a mistake and the robo-fish are used to punish the player for making that mistake, the number of fish in the water just gets ridiculous at times. On a note related to the fish, they appear to have step up mechanics similar to the player characters, which resulted in this amusing little bug at the start of the level. http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/2029/srb20003f.png

Another point of concern was the death pit at the end of the level, until this point in the stage, water was safe to jump in and the texture used for the floor was a beach texture, giving the player the impression that it is safe to jump in. (spoilers: the player dies), that’s a little something you need to watch out for when creating future maps, making sure the player knows what is an instant-death pit and what is not.

Although, that aside. It was a pleasant surprise to play a map of yours without having to watch out for a serious fundamental flaw, as was present in your previous two maps. There is, without a doubt, improvement! Just keep at it and keep fixing the general issues with your level design style and things should just keep on improving.

Canyon Operation Zone 5/10
First of all, I felt that there was no natural sense of direction in this map, and that I had to totally rely on the arrows in order to navigate this stage. I assume this is because many of the outdoor sections look the same, but, whenever I was exploring I would often find what I assumed to be a secret, explore, only to find an arrow telling me that I was going the wrong way. It got to the point where I felt discouraged from exploring.

Regarding the texturing of this map, the indoors sections were interesting, but all of the outdoors sections failed to catch my interest. With the same three textures sprawled out over large distances (ACZ floor, that brown ACZ wall, and water) creating a very bland outdoors area. However, there was a significant problem in one of the indoors areas in the stage, the “seizure room” as I have taken to calling it. http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/2982/srb20004.png
The ERZ texture used here is enough to indicate to the player that the walls are dangerous to touch, the additional flashing you added was just painful on the eyes.

But, with my complaints aside, I did enjoy playing this map, but there were many issues that I felt really did let the stage down. It was still a fun romp though and the large numbers of alternate paths made me come back to try this stage time and time again, to make sure I had found everything.

The music was lovely as well; the good and bad futures for Quartz Quadrant in the Sonic CD US sound track have always been favourites of mine. But, I’m not sure whether it really fitted the theme of this level though.

Starlit City 2/10
First of all, the sky is just odd. Mentioning this first, as it is the very first thing the player sees as it takes up most of the screen upon starting the stage. Mainly because the sky brightens above a certain line.

But, that aside, the level design here could use some tweaking, especially with the collapsing platforms near the start of the stage, the crumbling building as shown in this screenshot http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/8391/srb20005.png The issue with this building, is that it appears safe to stand on until it crumbles from underneath the player, the cracked windows alone do not give the player enough warning, the next two collapsing platforms are also note-worthy as well, because they share the same tag and as a result, both of them collapse when the player just steps on one, resulting in a cheap trial and error death most of the time.

Also, while it is appreciated that you used custom textures in order to make up for the unimpressive Dark City Zone textures, all of your custom textures use the same Dark City brick wall as a template, so it fails to solve the problem.

But, overall, this level was playable, but it just failed to be enjoyable, with plenty of repetitive platforming and nothing all that interesting to catch my interest sadly.

Metropolis Sprint ohlook/mymap
He who finds the two emerald tokens wins an additional Internet.

Cyber Gauntlet 4/10
The idea was interesting, and each new room brought a new gimmick, but there just wasn’t enough content to this stage, it was so very short.

Also, on the topic of length, I feel that the timer should be reduced by about 50-60 seconds as well. As, currently, the only time I have failed this stage was when I was using keyboard controls and messing around.

But, what is in this short level is good fun, while the difficulty for each obstacle is high, you had enough sense to just enable the player to try again instead of making them fail the special stage for making a mistake. So, hooray to that, aside from the 300 seconds the player had to finish the level, I rather liked the difficulty for this stage.

The theme for this stage was interesting, but the texture variety in SRB2 for cyberspace stages just isn’t enough. Although, it appears that by mixing transparent and solid textures, you were able to keep the visuals mixed at least, so hoorah to that.

Last edited:
Also, was there ever a purpose to this gargoyle? http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/3752/srb20001.png
It was a mystery to me, and I couldn’t find any use for it.

See a spring on the ground near that area? Try leading the gargoyle there and then push it against some wall...
Actually there's something in the game that tells you to do that, so perhaps you should try to find that hidden area first...

Last edited:
Well, seeing that I may not get time to vote later, I'll go ahead and give my votes:

Single Player Level Pack

Dangerous Volcano Zone by Internet Explorer - 3/10
Eh, I am wondering if this is your first 1P level, because there is quite a few flaws. First off, the start needs to be made MUCH shorter and less boring. Second, add some shadows in the caves, it will not only help the player find the caves in the wall but it will also show them where the lava is and ain't. Also, in one of the rooms I couldn't get out of the lava pit, I can't remember where though.

Buzzards Bay Zone, Act 1 by WEREHOG - 3/10
Okay, a bit better then your other tries, but it still needs ALOT of work. Like the first split path at the start of the level, I wound up going in a loop. Also, it is VERY cramped and the textures are "meh". But be sides that, I don't really care for the level for some reason. :E

Canyon Operation Zone by ComRante -8/10
VERY good, I like the theme of the level, but the texture set needs some work, and the music choice could have been better. also,the one rapid fire turret room needs to go. other then that, good job!

Starlit City by Brawl - 2/10
Ew, all death pit level.. :<
Anyways, the start of the level was being and ugly, but when I got to the grassy area it started to LOOK better, but the game play was still boring. also, What's with the sky? it almost looks like it is day ainstead of night. Also, the song was cool, but unfitting.

Metropolis Sprint Zone by Whackjood - 7/10
Cool level, but there are a few things that I think should be changed.
First of all, NEVER make two paths join like this:
]V[
>----

It makes people go in loops, and that's n good. :<
Second, the turret room is VERY annoying and needs to go.
Thirdly, Dark City Zone textures and Doomship textures DON'T mix well at all, use on or the other, or better yet, custom! :D
Also, a little side note, the Cliff textures look out of place. :E

Cyber Gauntlet by verifiaman - 5/10
Cool idea, but you should make it be differant for Sonic, Tails and Knuckles, and not make it Sonic Only stage, and maybe make it have a coop mode?
Anyways, I do agree it shouldn't be in a Special Stage like mode, I find it sorta odd that it is one TBH.

Multiplayer Level Pack

Match:
MAPM1 - Diamond Blizzard Zone by Spherallic - 7/10
Cool level(har de har har), But it is a bit to big. I like the looks and the textures, and the item placement was good. But the music choice was odd IMO.

MAPM2 - Coastal Cavern by RedEchidna - 5/10
This was a "meh" map to me. I really dislike your texture choice, JNGLE textures don't look well when all of there colors are mixed into one stage.It also felt a bit small or something, cuz I kept going in loops.

MAPM3 - Citrus Foyer Zone by Brawl - 1/10
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.....
It seems you have learned NOTHING from last time, that or you tried to learn and made even more of a mess. First of all, it is a bad idea to make you level totally over... what ever that orange stuff is. seccond off, the level is WAY to small, I thing you last match stage size was better TBH. Also, last time you didn't have enough rings, now you have TO MANY rings. So yeah, my advise is to look at official maps or something to see what you should make your levels like.

MAPM4 - Lost Paradise Zone by Neo Chaotikal - 5/10
Eh, this level was pretty boring. alot of it was just wide open rooms, save for the middle tower thingy, and that was a maze. :<
Anyways, I liked the lighting effect in the one water room with the auto ring, but really I think the level is a bit to big, and it needs more detail.

CTF:
MAPF1 - Freezing Flame Zone by RedEchidna - 4/10
Ugly map is ugly. :<
With that said, I really didn't like this level much. the whole Ice vs Fire thing is over used for red and blue. Also, I really dislike CTF stages with a lot of hurting water.

MAPF2 - Wellspring Keep Zone by SpiritCrusher/Cinefast - 5/10
Eh, this map was "OK", The bases was sorta boring though, and the out side needs something, maybe some more detail, idk. And as for the laval gimmick thing, I REALLY don't see why it is needed, I think it is just a waste of time. not to mention the buttons don't work all the time, did you use the "Each time" lindef, if so then you should have used the other one that makes it trigger rapidly.

MAPF3 - Radiant Cavern by Spherallic/KO.T.E - Thanks/Sphere! - lolvideo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReVbevzNlrg
Wheeeeee, rush job levels~ Anyways, for those of you who cry about the darkness, learn to use the crystal's light it will show where your enemies are. As for the color map, I think that it got messed up sometime during the making, it wasn't as bright in the Blue base from whet I remember. Also, the center was sorta a rush job, and may need to be made larger or something.
[ing]http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/6505/srb20340.png[/ing]
I fail to see how you can't tell red from blue. :<

MAPF4 - Climate Chaos Zone by Scizor300 - 3/10
Un-symetricalness, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaa.....
Yeah, the unsymetricalness costed a few points, that and the center part was flat and wide open and boring. I also dislike how you have a small corners near the flag again, they are a pain to get out of in big games.

Circuit:
MAPR1 - Grassy Cliffs Zone by AndyMan123 4/10
Okay, this level shows some hope, but it needs some work. First off, I REALLY dislike the use of invisible FOFs, I found my self messing up ALOT because of it. Also, as CK showed, there is that one checkpoint error. Also, you might need a better song, but idk.

MAPR2 - Tidal Cave by RedEchidna/darkbob1713 - 5/10
Eh, this level was okay, but the textures set was ugly. But I do like some of the ideas you have, aka the water slides and the falling bridges. I'll give you more comments when I replay it though.

MAPR3 - Iron Aquarium Zone by Zap610 - 7/10
Wow, I am really sad this ain't a 1P stage, It would have been REAL awesome if it was one. But since it is race, it has a few flaws. First off, it is really wide open at some parts, making it a easy thokfest. Second, it takes to long to do one lap, try make some parts shorter maybe? But other then that, GREAT job!

-----------------------------------------------

I may need to replay some of the levels later.

Last edited:
Also, the center was sorta a rush job, and may need to be made larger or something.
Not unless you make is less unattractive. It may not be that ugly, but its visuals are bad compared to the rest of the level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back