Contest Discussion Topic (2.0.X)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coolness. The textures seem very, well, varied, and hopefully that will work out to create something completely epic. Judging by the screenshots, I'd say it probably will.

Well, seeing as I can't finish this map in time for the upcoming contest due to personal matters (Horrid Grades), I shall give you some screenshots of yet another WIP map that I am making for CTF, Climate Chaos Zone.

srb20001.png

srb20002.png

srb20003.png

srb20004.png

srb20005.png

srb20006.png

srb20007.png

srb20008.png

EDIT: WTF Glitch in 3rd screenshot. I'll need to fix the FOF problems that i've been having there. I'll probably redo that entire section.
EDIT to EDIT: Purple water in Screen 3, I think it's a colormap problem, or it's just the F-ed up FOFs.

I'll give some comments per picture.

Screenshot 1: Those yellow textures should be used for minor details, much like the differently-colored versions of it. They should not be the main texture for almost everything.

Screenshot 2: Wow, this looks ugly. Why is the same Egg Rock texture used for almost everything? And there is a flat that matches the Eggman boxes better, ALTBOX or something (IIRC). The floor texture also looks quite ugly.

Screenshot 3: See comments on previous screenshot for the center path. As for the ice part, the textures are slightly better, but used in a boring way. The same goes for the forest part, decent texture choice but boring usage. The outer walls especially look ugly. And the water in the forest part should probably have a stronger blue colormap.

Screenshot 4: Well, this is even worse than screenshot 2. Desperately needs more detail, and generally the comments on screenshot 2 apply to this.

Screenshot 5: See screenshot 2's comments, although I kinda like the forest gateway. The grass edge doesn't fit though, use WEEDWALL.

Screenshot 6: Again, use WEEDWALL for the grass edges, and make the colormap a bit stronger. Otherwise, this looks quite good, aside from the DSZ texture that clashes with the other textures.

Screenshot 7: This looks quite good too, but the glass looks a bit out of place. The ceiling is just one flat, make it have some openings to the outside sky or something. Maybe some giant trees would help with the scenery?

I also noticed that the death pit does not have (half-)light block shading, now it just looks like a black floor. Also, is the stage correctly balanced in terms of symmetry and layout?
And one final question: Will you put only one of each weapon panel this time on each side of the map?

I'll give some comments per picture.

Screenshot 1: Those yellow textures should be used for minor details, much like the differently-colored versions of it. They should not be the main texture for almost everything.

Screenshot 2: Wow, this looks ugly. Why is the same Egg Rock texture used for almost everything? And there is a flat that matches the Eggman boxes better, ALTBOX or something (IIRC). The floor texture also looks quite ugly.

Screenshot 3: See comments on previous screenshot for the center path. As for the ice part, the textures are slightly better, but used in a boring way. The same goes for the forest part, decent texture choice but boring usage. The outer walls especially look ugly. And the water in the forest part should probably have a stronger blue colormap.

Screenshot 4: Well, this is even worse than screenshot 2. Desperately needs more detail, and generally the comments on screenshot 2 apply to this.

Screenshot 5: See screenshot 2's comments, although I kinda like the forest gateway. The grass edge doesn't fit though, use WEEDWALL.

Screenshot 6: Again, use WEEDWALL for the grass edges, and make the colormap a bit stronger. Otherwise, this looks quite good, aside from the DSZ texture that clashes with the other textures.

Screenshot 7: This looks quite good too, but the glass looks a bit out of place. The ceiling is just one flat, make it have some openings to the outside sky or something. Maybe some giant trees would help with the scenery?

I also noticed that the death pit does not have (half-)light block shading, now it just looks like a black floor. Also, is the stage correctly balanced in terms of symmetry and layout?
And one final question: Will you put only one of each weapon panel this time on each side of the map?

1: Okay, I should be able to find a better texture for that.

2: Tried ALTBOX, I don't think it's registered to the TEXTURE1/PNAMES, but I'll try again. As for the floor texture, do you have any suggestions?

3: I'll get to work on the colormap issue, but do you have any suggestions for the outer wall texture?

4: Yeah, i'm ditching the ERZ texture for something else that would look better. Suggestions?

5: WEEDWALL, got it.

6: I'll replace the DSZ texture with something else when I get around to it.

7: Yeah, i'm probably going to end up changing the high platforms into trees and cover most of the sky in a canopy, along with some platforms extending out of the leaves.

Lastly: I haven't put in the half-light blocks yet, but yes, it's going to be a mainly symmetrical CTF map, with the exception of the structure of the opposing sides, since ice texures wouldn't look good on the red side's design. I will try to make it as balanced as possible, and yes, I will not go overboard with the panel placement this time.

1: Okay, I should be able to find a better texture for that.

2: Tried ALTBOX, I don't think it's registered to the TEXTURE1/PNAMES, but I'll try again. As for the floor texture, do you have any suggestions?

3: I'll get to work on the colormap issue, but do you have any suggestions for the outer wall texture?

4: Yeah, i'm ditching the ERZ texture for something else that would look better. Suggestions?

5: WEEDWALL, got it.

6: I'll replace the DSZ texture with something else when I get around to it.

7: Yeah, i'm probably going to end up changing the high platforms into trees and cover most of the sky in a canopy, along with some platforms extending out of the leaves.

Lastly: I haven't put in the half-light blocks yet, but yes, it's going to be a mainly symmetrical CTF map, with the exception of the structure of the opposing sides, since ice texures wouldn't look good on the red side's design. I will try to make it as balanced as possible, and yes, I will not go overboard with the panel placement this time.
2: Maybe ERZGRYF5?

3: It's not the textures that make it look ugly, but the fact that it's just one huge wall with one texture. The current textures are good, but for variation, you could make the outer walls more jagged/curved. As in, not make it one big flat wall.

4: Well, it's not that I dislike the texture (I used to, funnily enough), but it's just the fact that it's basically the only texture. Maybe you could add some pipes to the ceiling and the walls to make it look less boring?

As for the other things, glad to hear you'll fix these issues. :D

Classic Sonic never teleported the player, instead using gimmicky lifts, zoom tubes, or the sky sanctuary beam teleport devices that let the player see how they move around the stage.
Personally, I consider zoom tubes worse than teleports because they make the player wait and do nothing for a few seconds (minimum). Teleports are instant.

I beg to differ. I'd like to have a short zoom tube take me from an intense platforming section to a less difficult area so as to have a break, then eventually the difficulty would rise and fall and rise intensely, and then the level would end.
Also, I think if somebody made a level that was kind of a "teleporter puzzle" or something, I would scream in agony. I hate levels like that, they take forever.

Uh, Samus' Face Zone(can't remember the real name right now) had nothing to do with Metroid. So that's a bit of a moot point.

It was called Samus' Face Zone because a cave looked like Samus' helmet visor. Yet Skyward Sword for "I Don't Know Zone" has nothing (well so far) to do with swords. Anyway Skyward Sword as a level name equals zero creativity!
:<

Mesosphere Heights
I agree

Welp I changed my mind, I will make the deadline but it's gonna be a circuit map. That being said, is it okay to add enemies to a circuit map if they are only used for decorations?

Welp I changed my mind, I will make the deadline but it's gonna be a circuit map. That being said, is it okay to add enemies to a circuit map if they are only used for decorations?
Sure, as long as the player cannot touch them.

Okay, Diamond Blizzard (for Match) has just been submitted. Good luck to all entrants, and now I'm hoping I get this other map finished in time :<

9zltw4.jpg

dvn0cy.jpg

in99gh.jpg

Just a reminder: the contest submission period ends at 7PM Eastern US time today. That's 5 and a half hours from now.

FuriousFox, you labelled Wellspring Keep as my map. It's actually a collab between Cinefast and me, and I'm quite sure I mentioned that in the topic for the level.

FuriousFox, you labelled Wellspring Keep as my map. It's actually a collab between Cinefast and me, and I'm quite sure I mentioned that in the topic for the level.

Yeah, I forgot to add collaborators for all maps. It should be fixed now. Just let me know if I forgot anyone else.

When will the files start being merjed/put in folders?

Also a little project for the oldc coming september/october.

2pq7uk0.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back