Official Level Design Contest Voting: September/October 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
>_>

I'm having a hard time finding contest servers. More people need to make them, and the account I use doesn't have admin access, so I can't forward my ports. My little sister is the only one with admin access, and given the fact that she hates me playing SRB2 as much as I do, she's not gonna let me go into her password-protected account to forward ports 5029 and 28900. DDD=

Shouldn't we be seeing more contest servers? This is one of the best multiplayer rotations we've had in a long time.

SRB2WikiSonicMaster said:
>_>

I'm having a hard time finding contest servers. More people need to make them,

Agreed, but between 11:00PM yesterday and 2:00AM today (EST) I think I tried 2 or more times to host a contest server but I couldn't. I was getting a "MS timeout" error. The same happened more times before. Even SRB2 Guy tried to host a server last Sunday (I think ~10:30PM EST, I have a PM of him here) and couldn't host too.

I know here isn't a best place to speak about it (it's a bit annoying too), but I think this is a kind of thing that should be avoided to happen when a contest is running, specially at night, when more players are on MS.

I'm requesting, I'm just informing what is happening.

Thanks in advance.

Maybe to resolve this issue we need a dedicated contest server that lasts the voting period. I'm unable to host the pack due to not being the one in control of the network firewall. This leaves me dependant on others hosting the level pack. So unless someone hosts, my votes give off the fealing of "Has not played in netgame".

By the way, has anyone found the secret room in Red Desert Zone?
There isn't just one secret room actually, but those that have found the one I'm talking about will know which one it is.

Yeah, that one. The picture wasn't that good, though. I would rather have the one in the second row, second coloumn if you searched for the picture on Google Images.

Freezing Flare Zone, Act 2 by Simsmagic - 5/10
This is purely average. I personally liked that Galaxy music track, but the level design itself is rather bland through most of the way. Also, it's really arbitrary in places, with water being painful some areas and not in others.

Skyline Paradise Zone by fawfulfan - 2/10
Uh, this looks like a first try, and a few things are kinda neat. The level actually doesn't LOOK all that bad for a first try, especially the early area in the city. However the level plays terrible. Constantly bouncing on walls trying to get through cramped areas and collect circles of rings that bordered on impossible to collect. Also, it's very hard to find where the transform item even is. The concept here isn't awful, but the execution is.

Electric Dungeon Zone by Roy - 4/10
Well, the scripting is cool but really badly executed. Hunting buttons is still bad even when you're doing interesting things with it. I did like the execution of the boss, and going back into the level to collect the emerald to finish up was nice as well. Scripting the level in an interesting way could go somewhere, but make sure it plays good too.

Red Desert Zone by SonicMaster - 9/10
This is quite a good stage. I really wish the quicksand streams could be a little less weird, but there are some great ideas here. I really liked the multiple paths and I really liked the quicksand launchers, despite how little sense they make. There was a well executed sand rising section, and quite a few other great ideas. My only real gripe is that some sections just had so much more to them than others. Also, I found 4 emerald tokens. Perhaps add a few other items as secrets instead of just the same old items?

Dimension Glaber Special Stage 2 by Glaber - 4/10
So average it hurts. 1 point taken off for choosing texturing that's so hard to see rings against.

Frost Mountain Zone, Act 1 by HyperKnux - 3/10
This looks like another "my first level" map. It's really cramped and a lot of enemies are placed in really unfair locations it's pretty much impossible to dodge without knowing they're in there. However this would have potential if it wasn't so hard to move around in. Open it up a little and have more space for the player. It feels almost like a Doom map as it is.

Water Ruins Zone by Donovan The Hedgehog - 3/10
2D mode is terrible.

Snowpoint Land Zone, Act 1 by Superusuario - 3/10
Ugh, framerate death. Also, it's far faster to just jump into the water, get hit, and then thok into a spring to go forward, especially with the framerate so bad.

Geothermal Volcano Zone by verifiaman - 1/10
This is awful. Instant death everywhere, completely arbitrary pits that look like lava and transparent things that look like platforms that kill you. Why even put rings into the stage?

SonicMaster, I edited my review for your level. It turns out that the path I chose had only the things I hate, but the other paths had things I enjoyed.

I have one question.
Is it against the rules to submit a WAD with multiple maps? I ask because I've already started work on my next contest submission, and I want to know if it's okay to have a multiact zone.

Oh, of course! I forgot that there are plenty of multiact contest winners. All right, then, I'll proceed without a worry...except whether or not my level is a fail, of course.

If they are all one gametype, then no. If they are separate gametypes, then put them in separate WADs. Assuming that the official contest rules don't change, one user can only put one map per gametype.

Torgo said:
If they are all one gametype, then no. If they are separate gametypes, then put them in separate WADs. Assuming that the official contest rules don't change, one user can only put one map per gametype.

Seriously? Dang it...I had a spectacular boss battle idea for the end of the zone, and I can't lump it all together because it's in Adventure Mode.

I'm guessing the problem is that the camera would always face the boss. If that's the case, don't spawn the boss until you get to the end. Or don't give it the flag MF_BOSS until you get to the end. You can use a linedef executor that changes the state. I forget the number, though.

Torgo said:
Thanks for the loophole

You know, if you're going to abuse a loophole, it's best not to announce so.

Aww, somehow I knew my level wasn't sent right...
Can someone give me some instructions on how to send a level in detail?
I had to fill in alot of stuff after I clicked "Send" mostly E-Mail related and I'm sitting here like WTF?

verifiaman said:
Torgo said:
Thanks for the loophole
What loophole? it's intended to be able to submit a map for each gametype, that;s not a loophole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back