OnLive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

koni

I quite recently heard about a new "mini-console" named the "OnLive" that seems quite promising actually.

The place I read about it can be found here:
http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/new-tech-could-make-consoles-obsolete/1299562

Just for the people who probably don't feel like clicking the link, the OnLive is supposed to be plugged into your TV and broadband internet connection. Afterwords it is played on a high-end system of some sort on they're side while they send a live video stream of the game to your TV. (Sorta like Ustream) But the controls you input on the controller get sent to they're side which tells the game what to do.

So basically your just playing a Ustream video as if it were a game.

P.S. I hope this is the right forum for this.

Not to backseat moderate, but this belongs in Video Gaming.

But yeah, if this works, sign me up. Pretty big if, though.

If either connection sucks, wouldn't there be C-Lag?

Also, consoles make gaming without an internet connection possible. This would absolutely cripple some of my friends' gaming.

You know, I would like to retain some sense of ownership, having at least part of the game on my hard drive or in some kind of physical form. This system would make me feel disconnected from my games.

Also, I bet it'll have horrible control lag. Good luck playing the Donkey Kong Country games with it, or just about every rhythm game ever for the matter.

FoxBlitzz said:
You know, I would like to retain some sense of ownership, having at least part of the game on my hard drive or in some kind of physical form. This system would make me feel disconnected from my games.

Also, I bet it'll have horrible control lag. Good luck playing the Donkey Kong Country games with it, or just about every rhythm game ever for the matter.

Keysounded Konami games.

*gulp*

Srsly...

You guy's all seem to think it will have C-lag in the highest form.

Yet honestly if EVERYONE had C-Lag why on earth would they even sell it?

It's not like it won't be reviewed and judged harshly before it even comes out or anything... Owait...

I say let's just wait for it and see what all the hub-bub is about when it's actually in our houses and were actually playing stuff through the thing rather then just say it lags now.

Plus the thing is supposed to be quick and easy to manufacture so it shouldn't cost too much right?

Yet honestly if EVERYONE had C-Lag why on earth would they even sell it?

Because not every product magically lives up to the hype, like it or not. Remember the N-Gage? Gizmondo?

Besides, downloading content for local playback would be much more efficient use of bandwidth, although admittedly there is a cost to actually manufacturing and selling the hardware. But I do think it's an area of the market that needs to stay open to the consumers a bit longer.

Edit: By "bit" I mean a damn long time.

If this turns out to have no noticeable Control Lag, it could be a nice alternative to renting games. (Or for seeing which games you'd immediately want to have for that next big console purchase.) Although not for anything serious, I still prefer physical copies, instead of hoping that the server doesn't either have downtime, or the connection doesn't timeout while playing a game. Also, how am I supposed to save my progress on it anyway? The very concept of actually replacing a physical game console with something like this sounds terribly inconvenient, and a bit restrictive to me.
koni said:
Plus the thing is supposed to be quick and easy to manufacture so it shouldn't cost too much right?
The hardware itself probably won't cost the end-user anything. Since it's so cheap, they can just include it with your subscription.

It'll likely be susceptible to distance lag and lack of end-user control. I foresee no good future in this.

Concept: Great.
Way it's done: Terrible
Why?: Because of c-lag, there is no way someone on even the other side of America from the servers will be able to get <=1 millisecond ping times.

Let me put this into perspective, my Speedtest.net local server (Maidenhead) gives me a 15ms ping, this server is only about 50 miles from me. So how does OnLive expect to cope with servers that will get much more murder from the public?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back