Tortured Planet v10.5

I also don't really get why the levels are supposed to be boring, at least not until Spacewalk (with the exception of Snowcap Nimbus, that level >.<).
Sure, they aren't the best levels ever made and some sections may seem to be stretched out for too long, but I still had a lot of fun playing them regardless. The levels mostly looked nice and had some interesting gameplay material in them. What also makes this pack stand out is that you can see how much dedication and work was put into it. Small things like the fallen-over train in DDZ really shine in that aspect. Also, Spacewalk, while being a bad level, is far from being as bad as it's being displayed sometimes. I think the only problems are the global gravity and the length of the level.

While I think that all of the points SpiritCrusher made seem to be absolutely valid, I don't really get the negativity coming along with it.

Last edited:
In SpaceWalk Zone 3, Metal Sonic is broken and does not attack, you need to place some Metal Sonic waypoints!
Did you even test your level pack before submitting??

problem.............

My Sonic Robo Blast 2 can't use the file for the level pack. Apparently it's impossible to use ".rar" files on my SRB2.

---------- Post added at 09:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 AM ----------

Yeah......... I need help.............

Special stage 1 doesn't work, and I'm gonna assume the rest do not work either. Super Sonic just stares at the player and zooms around in uncontrollable 3D space, instead of following the path.

Well this is just great.............

You need to extract files using winrar...

I'm trying to join LSAngel's server, but it said I had the wrong version...... I tried the mirror and the normal file and both of them said the same thing......

However, I'm honestly surprised at how adamantly you hate Tortured Planet's levels.
I also don't really get why the levels are supposed to be boring, at least not until Spacewalk (with the exception of Snowcap Nimbus, that level >.<).
Spacewalk and Alien Armageddon are the only levels I expressed any disdain for in my post. While many others are mediocre, those two are the only ones I consider terrible. I don't think there's any point in debating exactly how bad they are, and that's not what my post was about anyway. I merely expressed my frustration about the fact that Fawfulfan knows what his mistakes with this pack were, yet he still keeps repeating them.

What also makes this pack stand out is that you can see how much dedication and work was put into it.
But only on a microscopic level, and that's the core problem. I won't deny that a lot of love went into this pack, but it was almost exclusively directed towards isolated gimmicks and setpieces. Almost no attention was paid to macroscopic issues like how these individual setpieces are incorporated into the level as a whole, or the overall pacing of the levels. Which is not surprising: The overall structure of the levels has been almost completely unchanged since their initial versions, even though the content itself has sometimes changed radically. Fawfulfan steadfastly refused to ever delete content without immediately replacing it, or to reorder his levels in any way. Fawfulfan's method of making levels is akin to constantly adding stories to a building design even though the foundation was never designed to support them. The stories themselves might be exquisitely designed, but it's still a terrible building.

Many of the ideas in the pack are in fact quite good, but they're often sloppily implemented and strung together haphazardly. Or in the words of Mystic:

[10:07] <Mystic> It genuinely feels like the levels were built with completely random sector layouts. There's no thought put into flow or how things should behave.
[10:08] <Mystic> Just shit whatever into the editor and then add random scenery that also makes no sense, and ship it
[10:09] <Mystic> There's just no love or refinement in any of it

Special stages are broken because you used CLEAR ALL but didn't re-add the vanilla special stage level headers.

Also, some big sectors are really laggy, like the starting sector of SAZ1 and those big sectors where you have to go up in ECZ2,

EDIT: Gritty Collums Zone 2 is unplayable, less than 5 FPS on the 2/3 of the level until you reload it!

In software mode, I actually notice less lag in the starting sector of SAZ1 than in the 2.0 build, though it isn't perfect. Still chugs like a frat boy at a kegger in OpenGL mode.

I remember having that issue with GCZ2 once in 2.0, but only once. I think it was triggered by being jump-happy on the sand slide that led up to the framerate drop area. This, more than any other lag sector in the pack, needs a fix.

Sure, they aren't the best levels ever made and some sections may seem to be stretched out for too long, but I still had a lot of fun playing them regardless. The levels mostly looked nice and had some interesting gameplay material in them. What also makes this pack stand out is that you can see how much dedication and work was put into it. Small things like the fallen-over train in DDZ really shine in that aspect. Also, Spacewalk, while being a bad level, is far from being as bad as it's being displayed sometimes. I think the only problems are the global gravity and the length of the level.

Agreed. I really enjoy the (not broken) 2.0 version of this level pack, and it is generally my go-to level pack when I don't feel like playing vanilla. Is it as good as vanilla? No; the tightness of design isn't quite there. But that doesn't mean it isn't damn impressive to have that much quality content in a level pack.

I won't deny that a lot of love went into this pack, but it was almost exclusively directed towards isolated gimmicks and setpieces. Almost no attention was paid to macroscopic issues like how these individual setpieces are incorporated into the level as a whole, or the overall pacing of the levels. Which is not surprising: The overall structure of the levels has been almost completely unchanged since their initial versions, even though the content itself has sometimes changed radically. Fawfulfan steadfastly refused to ever delete content without immediately replacing it, or to reorder his levels in any way. Fawfulfan's method of making levels is akin to constantly adding stories to a building design even though the foundation was never designed to support them. The stories themselves might be exquisitely designed, but it's still a terrible building.

I think that part of the reason myself and maybe some others enjoy this level pack more is that we haven't seen this project from the start. When I downloaded it for 2.0, it was a complete product. It doesn't feel like stories have been added to the building, because the building was built before I was born (figuratively speaking). The duck tape and glue is well hidden, and I don't notice it.

I'm also not a level designer myself, and have no interest in the subject. I can only claim something is enjoyable or not. For me, the level pack is great fun, and generally aesthetically pleasing. I'm all for it being tightened up, but I still enjoy it the way it is... in 2.0. I'm not going to defend the current 2.1 release.

Spacewalk and Alien Armageddon are the only levels I expressed any disdain for in my post.

Uh, no?

One is that you started with a bunch of linear, overlong, boring and empty levels and then progressively shoved more and more content into them wherever you could without ever fixing any of the original flaws with the levels.

///

(I will reply to the other thing later, I'm a bit busy.)

EDIT: You're right that things weren't cut that should've been and some gimmicks are poorly implemented into the level. However, that doesn't really stop me from enjoying it. Srb2 in my opinion relies much more on gimmicks than flow, which is due to the lack of slopes an thus much less momentum-based gameplay of the classics. While Emerald Hill Zone, although it just consists of running and jumping, is very fun, it is almost impossible to create a level like this in Srb2's engine because one key element is missing. To compensate for that, TP is filled with gimmicks and my sole problem with that is that they're used too often and rarely let the player breath in between

Last edited:
In SpaceWalk Zone 3, Metal Sonic is broken and does not attack, you need to place some Metal Sonic waypoints!

MYTH-BUSTING TIME!

* 1 - Metal Sonic "Waypoints" are not actually "waypoints" at all, that's the fault of whoever named them in the 2.1 configs. They're actually just "gather points" for the orbs that move towards him when charging an attack to spawn from.

* 2 - These so-called "waypoints" aren't actually required for Metal Sonic (the Battle version) to work anyway.

Last edited:
And so, how do you make him attack? It's not even wrote on the wiki :3

...all Metal Sonic needs to attack is him to have his Battle spawn point placed in the map, and have him being able to see the player to start the battle. That's it.

No, he won't fire any of his non-pinch attacks unless at least one of the "waypoints" is present. See here.

Last edited:
srb20005.gif

Another small bug is this enemy, when he attacked the first time it hangs for a split one or two seconds and release this little goo locked and she does not disappear

I think my English was bad :/

Liftoff Gantry zone's boss is destroyed as soon as the level starts from the red electric floor. Just thought I should point that out...

10.2 is available, everyone. All these bugs have been fixed (except Metal Sonic not shooting orbs, and I'm not bothering with that because the boss is completable and already cheap enough and I'm done expending effort on Spacewalk).

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back