IRC Channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystic

Basically, if you visit the IRC channel, I am sure you are aware that Mysteria is dying. The admins and IRCops have been disappearing, and today, the guy who was in charge of velocity just got rid of his server and told us the situation.

Mysteria is basically a zombie network at this point, an undead entity with no brain that only functions because nothing has shot it through the head yet.

However, because of the bot attacks, we really do need to start deciding on a location to move to, because eventually Mysteria will die, and I don't think it will be too far off. We're the last community on the network, the rest have all pretty much jumped ship.

In other words, I'd like to spur discussion about where would be a good place to move to if it does finally just die. I personally like Rizon, but that's because it's one of the networks I use a lot. The reality of it is that we need to think this through, because moving an IRC channel is enough of a hassle without having to do it again soon afterwards.

I'd say move to one of the larger IRC networks, say Quakenet or something. Save having this problem again.

Espernet. (irc.esper.net) Houses other channels like #vgmusic and #ocremix, and my old home, #bigmog, before I started coming to #srb2 =P

According to Vector, the former admin of velocity, there are no IRCops to talk to. The bottom line is that the people who have the domain don't care anymore, and also don't want to put forth the effort to give the power to someone who does care.

I personally would love to see Mysteria come back, but it just doesn't seem like it's worth the effort when at this point it's a server for only us.

[14:44:13] -EsperNet- [Logon News - Feb 27 2004] Due to an increasingly dire lack of network resources, it is with great regret that EsperNet announces that no new Ragnarok Online-related channels may form or be registered as of today, 26 February 2004. Existing channels are welcome to remain as long as they stay within network policy. However, due to the amount of technical and human resources they consume, no new channels are now being accepted. Thank you for your cooperation.
"dire lack of network resources" = unreliable
"no new Ragnarok Online-related channels" = channel prohibition by subject; reeks of fascism and IRCop interference

I ain't movin' to no EsperNet.

Personally I'd go for Rizon, mainly because I already idle about in anime XDCC channels there. I'm not familiar with Espernet... or any other networks for that matter.

Mysteria has been good, but I've been waiting for something like this to happen instead of people just saying "We should really move to another network."

New Server Idea

Hi guys i am an Oper for accessirc... i would like you guys to come there ... its /server irc.accessirc.net
we have 10 servers .. 7 in usa 1 in canada, europe and australia... we have about 900 users and have been going strong since 2000 .. we also have a couple xdcc chans
we also basically have the same services as mysteria except better :)

if you have any questions come there join #accessirc or #services
my name is Deany and i look forward to helping you and hope you consider accessirc as your new home ... srb2fans has joined our network ...we hope you will too

thx
Deany

Mystic, you are such a defeatist... I'm going to talk to Vector myself and see if I can get anywhere.

Edit: After reviewing the logs and such outlining the situation, I have to admit it's pretty grim. Basically the only people that care are in no position to make it better, and the people with the power to change things don't care.

So if it does move, I vote for Esper. Looking around it seems the best choice since there are no file trading channels, which means no bot swarms and very low zombie/script kiddie population. I think it's the best bet so far.
=Smidge=

Mystic ... give accessirc a chance

Hey mystic ... give accessirc a chance we have some xdcc channels if you are intrested in that ... and we have 10 servers to help your users get on the network

thx deany

#srb2 has moved to EsperNet.

The website will be updated eventually when we can get AJ to change the chat html file.

AccessIRC is 100% guarunteed NOT to be used because #srb2fun already took #srb2 there.

Not that I can really remember, Jackel. Memoserv, nickserv, chanserv, they all work like they did on Mysteria. Unless, of course, their services have gotten an upgrade in the past year or two that I don't know about :P

It's because it's dieing as well. ^_^ Just not nearly one third as quickly. Give it 15 years or so... :lol:

We've Moved to EsperNet? Sweet. #metroidwars is there, so there's no need for me to be on two networks at a time. I haven't had a single problem with Esper, so it should be safe. Side note, shouldn't this be in announcements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back