Tortured Planet v9 (scmrtf_TorturedPlanet-v9.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
...And you just went ahead and released it without all of Charyb's music. Oh, and how come ECZ1 starts at some weird area?

No, I released it with as much of Charyb's music as he was able to do. He's really busy, and he already did more than enough to help me in this project.

And that ECZ1 issue was an error that has been corrected.

Yeah, I meant ALL of Charyb's music. If he doesn't want to finish them, then you could just replace repeated music with music from other games that suit it.

For example: SNZ repeats it's music, you could replace it with Ice Cap from SA or something.

Okay, what's the point of still having Spacewalk in there? You said before it was going to go rot in the archive. The skip button is so easy to miss that it seems like you still want us to play through it. The pack in general still needs a LOT more deleting. None of the new rooms are any better than the deleted ones and the pack in general has a lot more cheap deaths than the previous versions.

I played through all of this (except spacewalk obviously) in a marathon netgame. Some things that stood out:

-There's a lot of visual revamps. That's nice, but some of the new stuff is ugly and/or out of place. If anything, please get rid of the HPZROCK in ECZ1.

-I like what you did with the rotating platforms in ECZ.

-SNZ somehow got even harder to navigate.

-The fake train in LGZ2 is completely pointless. You go inside, walk to a thinly disguised teleport, and backtrack out of it. The train doesn't even look like it's moving.

-Why did you throw a huge death pit into the opening room of AAZ2? Running forward at the start will drop you right into it, and anyone expecting the same room from previous versions is in for a deadly surprise.

-AAZ1's underwater section is still way too long. At least it's a little less boring.

-Minor nitpick, but GCZ2 suddenly being night then GCZ3 suddenly being day again is awkward. Why change it in the first place?

To me, 9 feels like a step forward in visuals but not in gameplay.

Last edited:
Wasn't there a site created exclusively to host SRB2 downloads? I remember it back in the day and maybe when 2.0 was around but now I don't know. I'm sure one of you have used the service before. It was made by one of the older users on this forum.

I know this is a little bit off-topic, but it is perfect for uploading your files.

SRB2FFH is gone at this point. Again, simply upload the file as an attachment. If the music file is that large, you could simply make a split rar or you could also simply split the file into two WAD that compress as close to 32 MB as possible.

There are a lot of really good reasons we are being such nuisances about the requirement to use attachments for everything, so we really aren't going to let this one go.

On the road today; I'll deal with the music when I get home. And I'll also do a minor cleanup, so everybody get ready to redownload.

For the record, though I'm more than a little annoyed at having to slice up the file even more; as far as I'm concerned, having a separate file for music is quite bad enough as it is. Why have these file limits in the first place? Or why not make it 64MB, which would allow for one convenient file?

By the way, Katmint, those death pits in the LGZ laser room aren't new; look at 8.4 and you'll see them there too.

Last edited:
Oh, I must have forgotten about them. Could have sworn they weren't there before. Oh well, I'll remove that tidbit since it's not relevant to the new version, but I still think they should be made easier to notice.

For the record, though I'm more than a little annoyed at having to slice up the file even more; as far as I'm concerned, having a separate file for music is quite bad enough as it is. Why have these file limits in the first place? Or why not make it 64MB, which would allow for one convenient file?

Just checking - are all the music files in the music wad MP3s or OGGs?

If MP3s, get going with converting them to OGGs! If they're already OGGs though (or the file size is still not <32MB if you've converted the MP3s), I suppose slicing up the file is your only option for now.

Okay, here's the new upload, featuring all the music hosted on srb2.org. And there were a few minor tweaks to Tortured Planet itself too, so I'd encourage you all to redownload.

I think part one and part two music are the same file...
They are both names TP_music.wad and are same size..

Exactly. Take BOTH rars, and extract them in the same place. They'll merge into one file, and it'll have all the music.

Apparently part two of this new TP Music gives me an error when trying to extract the file, and if it also helps, I'm using 7Zip.

EDIT: It's broken due to a data error of some sorts.

Last edited:
Highlight both rars, right click > 7-zip > extract files. Say yes if it asks to overwrite anything. You should end up with one, whole, file.

Apparently you still haven't grasped it, so I'll try big bold letters:

SPACEWALK ZONE IS ONE OF THE WORST LEVELS EVER MADE FOR SRB2. IT NEEDS TO GO ENTIRELY. NOT JUST A SKIP BUTTON. PUT IT IN THE ARCHIVES, OR BETTER YET, DELETE IT OUTRIGHT.

On the other hand, the more I play this pack, the more I start to doubt if it's even worth fixing in the first place. I bet you have other, better, non-SRB2-related projects to work on.

Apparently you still haven't grasped it, so I'll try big bold letters:

SPACEWALK ZONE IS ONE OF THE WORST LEVELS EVER MADE FOR SRB2. IT NEEDS TO GO ENTIRELY. NOT JUST A SKIP BUTTON. PUT IT IN THE ARCHIVES, OR BETTER YET, DELETE IT OUTRIGHT.

On the other hand, the more I play this pack, the more I start to doubt if it's even worth fixing in the first place. I bet you have other, better, non-SRB2-related projects to work on.

How is Space Walk "so horrible" it's just very challenging and you would probably complain if it wasn't.

If a level has a skip option dedicated exclusively for it, then this obviously raises flags about the quality. I honestly doubt that the complaints stem from being challenging, it is more likely to be a badly designed level that needs to be removed as it would increase the quality of the pack overall.

What I hate about all 4 SpaceWalk and AlienArmageddon maps is that they always just pick up halfway through in terms of fun/wow factor (not to mention the starts are all just stupidly frustrating), and DON'T HAVE ENOUGH FUCKING CHECKPOINTS. The final boss also get's an ID error in multiplayer.

Here's a thought, REMOVE all the boring parts of said maps, mostly the first halves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back