• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Parappa wad in the making? [BETA AVAILABLE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terra

BETA LINK AVAILABLE: http://www.sendspace.com/file/b4eqqw
I was thinking of a Parappa the Rapper wad, but I'm not sure whether I should make him thin as paper like the old games or not...

I've only got a few sprites done.
NO, this is NOT one of those projects that get cancelled after people realise characters take a hundred frames or so.
Could I have some feedback about the sprite? I'm not so sure that I'm good at spriting...or...Whatever it's called for SRB2.

Last edited:
So far that I heard of Parappa, this front view looks great. But are my eyes wrong, or his face is green ?

I used the colors straight from ripped textures of the PS1 game, Parappa the Rapper.
But I want to be able to make the decision, should I make him paper thin like the games or just make him 3 dimensional or whatever?

Last edited:
If you make him paper thin like the games, you have a legitimate excuse to only make 2/5 of the frames that a character WAD requires. In fact, it might be a good idea to just do that first and then decide, after you've finished the front and back frames, whether to continue with the rest of the frames. When you're doing diagonals, though, be sure to resize them trapezoidally versus purely horizontally.

As a random critique, I suggest you should go back and work on the animation frames in small parts, instead of starting from 1 - 8 straightforward. The walk animation cycle should make a nice smooth loop, which unfortunately your's does not. And also I believe if you're going to make a piece of paper walk, you should make it walk as if it were a walking piece of paper. Such movements wouldn't really be possible. Or even if it was, this looks kind of odd.

As a random critique, I suggest you should go back and work on the animation frames in small parts, instead of starting from 1 - 8 straightforward. The walk animation cycle should make a nice smooth loop, which unfortunately your's does not. And also I believe if you're going to make a piece of paper walk, you should make it walk as if it were a walking piece of paper. Such movements wouldn't really be possible. Or even if it was, this looks kind of odd.

Problem...
If I try to make him walk like a piece of paper, he will barely be walking...In fact, he'd probably be bouncing or something, the cutscenes of the Parappa games really make it look weird...

Sorry for the double post, I'm still working on this, so don't worry.
I'm working on the falling sprites, I can't put up pictures right now...

Well just as a quick thing to point out, Parappa is supposed to be flat. And even though when he turns you make it seem like it's that way, he doesn't actually seem.. flat. It's really weird. You should probably try working on making him have a more "flat" looking appearance. This is probably because of the shading you put on him. Get rid of the shading Parappa looks kind of weird with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back