Tortured Planet v9 (scmrtf_TorturedPlanet-v9.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the meantime, every zone up to Fume Shaft has now been improved. I haven't got a whole lot of new gimmick ideas for FSZ, but I do have some new scenery ideas that I have implemented. As I said, expect some sector scenery in the new version.
The main problem with FSZ lies in its weird texturing that doesn't stick to theme. The zone doesn't feel like a mine, but like something really weird. The gameplay is quite good actually, but the minecart ride (the fake one) should be more complex. The later rooms in Act 2 (we didn't get to play that in the netgame, so I haven't told you much about it) are too repetitive. Look at the room directly before the exit, for example: None of that is new, and it's very tedious and cheap. Since Act 2 is considerably longer than Act 1, you could probably cut that room without replacement.

A problem in LGZ2 is that big circular shaft where the chance room is located. That whole area is too cramped, so you should probably resize it. Otherwise, try to modify the ERZ-copypasta parts even further (especially that laser room). I understand that it's very hard to add something to that zone, since it's already full with gimmicks, but luckily it stands quite well as linear as it currently is. The shrinking gimmick part should be remade though, it's confusingly maze-y and button-reliant, and the shrinking does not actually take any effect since you don't challenge the player gameplay-wise while shrunk. Geez, I regret skipping that zone in the netgame.

I admit it. I have no idea whatsoever as to how to improve the texturing of FSZ. There just aren't anywhere near enough mine textures in SRB2...it would look dull.

Last edited:
You know what? That's exactly what I'll do. I just thought of a simple but interesting idea that could seriously make everything way more mine-like.

In Drowned Downtown 1, I noticed this one fire hydrant that was shooting water out of the top. That's all fine and dandy, but the current points you the wrong way, and this confused me to no end at first. I'd suggest removing Effect 4 from this current and using a Change Object State linedef executor instead.

...Why do I feel like the only person to NOT love this mod?

It's obvious that you know EXACTLY what you're doing in this thing, and the levels are designed fairly well... but the main complaint I have is that it gets TOO hard TOO quickly. I sat down for FIVE HOURS one day trying to clear Spacewalk 2 without cheating, and I failed. Red-tile sectors are instant death on contact? Blue-tile sectors are instant death PERIOD? Hell, the only objects that AREN'T instant death in that zone are the robots. You're missing the point of a good mod: to ENJOY PLAYING IT. There is no way I can enjoy playing this.

...Why do I feel like the only person to NOT love this mod?
Certainly not. There are several people who hate this mod with a passion (and several more who dislike it without passion). I do wonder though... From your post, it seems like your only complaint is how hard Spacewalk is. While I agree that it is frustrating and fun-killing, that does not mean the whole mod is.

Perhaps I'll make the red sections wider and the blue sections narrower in the new version of SZ2 (I know that doesn't even come close to being a serious improvement, but it should make the level slightly easier).

I found (maybe) a horrible problem.

In Spacewalk Zone 3 (Yes, i made it that far) whenever the gravity counter was red, my character stayed upside up, even after defeating the boss, which leaded to frustration because i couldn't press the button on the capsule (which was down), therefore never ending the stage/zone, and i have to be controlling my character all the time, since it doesn't stop moving unless the gravity is reversed again.

Worse of all, it was my last life. Suicide to retry won't work, and i lost my continue. Ragequit.

I fixed that in the new version. Don't worry.

BTW, you guys are going to see a few new gimmicks in Liftoff Gantry Zone. One of them is heavily based on a gimmick that is both in ERZ and is used elsewhere in my level. Some others are a lot more original. LGZ1 will have a new path split as well, by the way. I might also try to add a short path split near the end of LGZ2.

Last edited:
I fixed that in the new version. Don't worry.

BTW, you guys are going to see a few new gimmicks in Liftoff Gantry Zone. One of them is heavily based on a gimmick that is both in ERZ and is used elsewhere in my level. Some others are a lot more original. LGZ1 will have a new path split as well, by the way. I might also try to add a short path split near the end of LGZ2.

So when can we expect the next version?

Not sure...but it won't do that in the new version, so don't worry about it.

BTW, regarding Liftoff Gantry Zone Act 2, was anyone able to figure out that that cramped circular chamber part was supposed to be taking place inside the engines of a rocket? That's what I was trying to do, but it seems as though nobody understood that. Well, I've just decided to try and make the rockets in LGZ look a little more like rockets. And I'm also intending to add in some new custom textures that will make parts of the level look more like gantries. Tortured Planet v5.0 is going to feature the biggest overhaul of LGZ since its inception.

SWZ2 sigsevs if you walk back out into the gravity-switcher ERZ2 rip-off area after exiting it. Please make a door there so no more unfortunate souls will have put hours of playing (and many lives!) in SWZ to waste by pressing the FOWARD key.

But why did you go back out there? The yellow thing makes you safe.

I wanted the rings. I was 4 rings away from an extra life, and so I figured, "Why not?" and then BAM! Blackness and a Windows Error Message (because SRB2 no longer displays custom error messages.)

Okay something very odd is happening, I downloaded this level pack about 10 minutes ago, I then came back to this thread (for a reason that's irrelavent), and I see no download link, and the screens for this mod which are in the forth post of the thread, I don't remember seeing whatsoever.

Basically I'm asking, where is the download link I must have clicked on when I downloaded this thing ten minutes ago? Does this level pack have another thread where I might've downloaded it from? This is kind of freaking me out.

Okay it seems the download link and screens are back, don't know why they were missing, the page didn't load properly, or if Fawful was updating/modifying the first post because they have not been there for the past tne minutes

Last edited:
So not only have I found out I havn't gone crazy, but I get a new version of the pack as well, thanks Fawful ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Back